R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 05-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #4921
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Real world testing of batterys

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
What do you think matchers do? Those are "real" #'s on the cells, not something they made up. The #'s on the pack can tell you how the pack will perform. The lower the internal resistance # the more "punch" or acceleration a pack will have. The higher voltage a pack has the higher top speed your car will have. The higher the runtime # is the more runtime you will have.
Quite right. Truth is, what reputable matchers do is the only TRULY objective form of testing we can do to cells, when in a car, there are just FAR too many variables to generate dependable test numbers. After all, what if your motor catches a little dirt of a pebble & the comm & brushes end up needing a bit of work? That will NOTABLY affect an acceleration time, as will ambient temperature & available traction, so in reality the only reliable testing method is what the matchers do, with controllable loads placed on the cells. And as for how much difference one will make over another, that also depends on how well the driver sets up his car & drives it. Personally, I think it says enough when I hear from guys I know & trust that swear by a particular cell, motor, etc., that's what led me to try Fukuyamas, & honestly, I have had more success with them than with any other cells I've ever tried(& if the motors hold up to their same standards as I expect, I will be one VERY happy camper next weekend at the Oklahoma Invite race, ). If you're really thinking of trying them, then try a pack, if you aren't impressed, then you've only spent money on one pack, & if you like 'em, then you can easily get more.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #4922
Tech Addict

But the problem is that matchers are like dynos, you can only compare batteries matched on the same matcher. So for example you cant compare say Trinity GP3300 to Team Orion GP3300. The fact is that don't really give much if any indication of how good a battery is. For example it may give a certain result when matched but after one charge this could drop away significantly. So for eg you could buy a 1.19v pack and after 1 charge it could be a 1.17 or less.

just my 02c
Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #4923
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Send a message via MSN to clinttredway

Quote:
Originally posted by stjerno
I want a "racketship" too
Just kidding... I too have placed an order for this new rocket engine

How does it compare to a TEAM1 ?
They are very close in performance, but the Mako is better tuned in my opinion. I am definitely going to be using it next week in the series race that I am in...

thanks for another good product.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:04 AM   #4924
Tech Adept

ixlr8nz - that wouldn't happen if companies like Orion used the industry standard TurboMatcher instead of using Lavco to try and bump up their numbers
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:59 AM   #4925
Tech Addict

But what I am trying to say is that no 2 Turbomatchers would be identical either
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:22 AM   #4926
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by ixlr8nz
But what I am trying to say is that no 2 Turbomatchers would be identical either
I know CE calibrates the TM for Fukuyama Racing. You are right, no 2 machines are the same, not even Turbomatchers but at least they are within CE's standard.
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:23 AM   #4927
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

According to a post a while back by Rick from Peak/Orion.....they no longer use the lavco system and have switched to turbomatchers.

Later EddieO
Old 05-08-2004, 03:56 AM   #4928
jpn
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How long do I have to let Fukuyama batts rest between charges? Is it ok to let the batts cool down normally for the first 30 minutes then put it in front of a fan for another 40 minutes then charge again? By that time, the batts seem fully cooled down. Is traying the batts before every charge recommended? And is it ok to use fukus up to three times a day? Hope to prolong the life of my fukus. Thanks.

HIROBO EAGLE3 SWM Y.S.91 SR - HIROBO Freya EX2 Y.S.91 SR - HIROBO Turbulence D3 90 O.S.91HZ - HIROBO LEPTON - ALIGN Trex 600N PRO Novarossi C50-H2 - COPTER X V2 - Futaba 12MZH
jpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:12 AM   #4929
Tech Addict

If you go to the web page, I think it says cool 2 hours, do not use a fan and run twice a day. I also think if you use a fan the core of the battery could be still warm and the outside feel cool so it really isn't. I let em sit 2 hours. I use 2 packs, run one charge one. let the first alone till the last race and charge that one again.

David Root
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #4930
Tech Fanatic

What discharge tray do people use or do Fukuyama not recomend the use of discharge trays? Thanks Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:44 AM   #4931
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rick, a few months ago I asked the same question, the fukuyama guys suggested the yokomo rayspeed or the new novak one that is due out any day now. I didn't want to wait so I bought the rayspeed one from speedtechrc and I was immediately sold on it. I use it every weekend without fail. I've thrown my bulbs into the my rc boneyard. lol The rayspeed discharges each individual cell down to .9 and then cuts off. What I found was that when I was using the bulbs the cells got extremely out of balance and I began having cells go bad. Anyway, I'm sure the novak one is good as well, but it's late coming out and I think it's more expensive.

racer-oZ
racer-oZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #4932
Tech Adept

Default Battery in Water !!

Anybody knows if there is any bad effect if the cells were dip into water ??

Just got an actual case, battery jumps out from a buggy and fell into a small pool of water for around 1-2 minute. Half pack dip totally into water while the rest was partially covered by water.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:23 PM   #4933
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Damn, I go away to Vegas for a couple days and it takes me 15 minutes to read everything that's gone on here.

-Anthony, that sounds scary! Did it short out the pack at all, give any sparks or anything? If not the water may not have completed a circuit, killing the pack. Have you tried charging/discharging it since?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #4934
Tech Adept

We are drying the cells now before we try to connect the batt again because we really want to save the FR pack. We really have no idea whether the cells are damaged by water or not.

Maybe we can cycle it mid of the week when it is completely dry. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:24 AM   #4935
jpn
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would charging Fukus in front of an electric fan be bad for the batts? The batts seem to have much more power (stock racing) when charged this way and they don't get as hot too. By how much would battery life be decreased, if at all? Thanks.

HIROBO EAGLE3 SWM Y.S.91 SR - HIROBO Freya EX2 Y.S.91 SR - HIROBO Turbulence D3 90 O.S.91HZ - HIROBO LEPTON - ALIGN Trex 600N PRO Novarossi C50-H2 - COPTER X V2 - Futaba 12MZH
jpn is offline   Reply With Quote