R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 03-03-2004, 08:14 PM   #4006
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Tosolini
hey anyone out there what do you think if you take the bat off charge as soon as the volts start to drop..
Not sure if i understand what you're asking but isn't that what the charger looks for to end the charge anyway???
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #4007
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
Not sure if i understand what you're asking but isn't that what the charger looks for to end the charge anyway???
Ok guy, what I'm saying is you can set your peak detec but watch your bat and it will go to 9.25 and then it will drop down to 9.20, I beleave that if you can watch it and take it off right at peak its better.. and if you put the peak detec to low it will false peak..
Chris Tosolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #4008
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Dan - YGPM
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #4009
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I see your point Chris. The higher the voltage is maybe a little more power at the start. Maybe something to try. Have you been doing this?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #4010
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
I see your point Chris. The higher the voltage is maybe a little more power at the start. Maybe something to try. Have you been doing this?
ya I do this sometimes, I just want to here some ideas on this. I think its good, peak detec is there so you dont have to watch it but its not perfect.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #4011
Tech Prophet

I've tried it, but didn't notice any increase in track performance at the start. You propably use up that extra voltage checking through the transponder loop and lining the car up on the grid...

It might help a stock racer if someone checked his car in and set him on the grid, but for mod, wouldn't having the extra pack capacity be more worth it?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:20 PM   #4012
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I've tried it, but didn't notice any increase in track performance at the start. You propably use up that extra voltage checking through the transponder loop and lining the car up on the grid...

It might help a stock racer if someone checked his car in and set him on the grid, but for mod, wouldn't having the extra pack capacity be more worth it?
I don't know but if the bat drops .20 I thought that is capacity that is lost on the charger, I need to know, I when it drops that meens its done right.. so dont let it drop and dont over charge to get it hot. Hope Dan will give some ideas tomorrow..
Old 03-03-2004, 09:26 PM   #4013
Tech Master

If your looking for the drop and it goes from 9.25 to 9.20 thats a .05 peak detect isnt that what most people are setting thier chargers at anyhow. I know what your saying but I dont think that we cold get it any closer than our state of the art chargers can.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:32 PM   #4014
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Tosolini
I don't know but if the bat drops .20 I thought that is capacity that is lost on the charger, I need to know, I when it drops that meens its done right.. so dont let it drop and dont over charge to get it hot. Hope Dan will give some ideas tomorrow..
I see what you mean, .20 is a lot of voltage, without knowing a ton about batteries, it's hard to answer. It would be cool to get a discharge graph of the battery. Say the battery peaks out at 9.2, but drops to 9.1, I'd think you'd start your run with 9.1, but I wonder that after drawing power from the pack if it will peak back up to 9.2 say a lap into the run...

Dan... where are you, lol
Old 03-03-2004, 09:33 PM   #4015
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
If your looking for the drop and it goes from 9.25 to 9.20 thats a .05 peak detect isnt that what most people are setting thier chargers at anyhow. I know what your saying but I dont think that we cold get it any closer than our state of the art chargers can.
Oh I see my chargers only go .10..20.30, ect.. I ether way I got the idea.. thanks..
Old 03-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #4016
Tech Master

what type of charger do you use? those settings could be 10-20-30mv 10mv + .01v. I think the pulsar I used once was like that or maybe it was a Novak I forget.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #4017
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
what type of charger do you use? those settings could be 10-20-30mv 10mv + .01v. I think the pulsar I used once was like that or maybe it was a Novak I forget.
Yokomo
Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #4018
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Hey Chris have you tried using just the temp setting on the yokomo charger instead of peak detect? If not youd be surprised of the difference...Never false peak a battery again.

If im not mistaken the optimum temp for a battery when it goes on the track is 147 degrees...I'll have to look at my notes.

ea
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #4019
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

On my gfx in graph mode while charging you can easily see when the cells reach peak voltage by just looking at the graph peak. I have never turned it off at this point (1st peak) because the cells have not gotten up to racing temperatures at this point. I use the .05 or .06 voltage drop to bring them up to temperature as well as getting a little more runtime into the cells during this point. I think cutting them off prematurely than you will be getting the same voltage out of the cells but they wont be idealy at temperature of 135-150 for racing. I have however, never really tested this theory and used a heat gun to temp the cells when they hit their peak voltage. I'll try it next time to see what temps the cells are at when at peak voltage before they drop to the delta V and what temp they are at when the GFX stops it's charge cycle.

I have in the past stopped the charge permaturely during the 2nd peak before a race so the cells do not over heat.

Good discussion.

John
Old 03-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #4020
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
If I'm not mistaken that one does take them down to 0 and that is worse than not equalizing. Try tossing them into a Rayspeed once before the first charge of the day and see what it does. If I'm at the track you can come by and try mine.
I should be at the La Mirada Race and the next Corona Race is you are coming up again. Thank you for the offer.

Right now, is the Rayspeed the best equalizing tray on the market?

Are there any others that you would recomend?

Thanks....
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote