R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 11-05-2003, 07:15 PM   #1546
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
You said you have a 350 watt soldering gun, correct? I have always been told that soldering guns dont retain their heat well and don't work as well. I had a 150 watt gun that I used for a while and always got frustrated with it. It would loose heat if the slightest breeze was blowing. I went and got a $15 40 watt weller iron and it seems to work great, as long as it has a new tip. Even building batts. How much would a gun like you have run?
I like my 40watt weller alot, until I have to buy another one. Where do you find replacement tips for it?
jbackslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:28 PM   #1547
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Re: Soldering Extremes

Quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
Want to know the extremes? but don't tell Jimmy I said this. He's got a digital weight they use for weighting in gold and jewelry and he'll weight each and every solder bit so they all have the same amount on his packs. Then with a long tweezer, he'll solder his packs together. I think he uses the brand "Kesters" for his solder and they're shiny nickel-like when it's done. Neat but waaaaaaaaaay too extreme for me. Then on his motor, he'll flatten the 12g wires and count the wires and strip the rest and solder it the same way so they're perfect each and every time. Don't even get me started on what he does to his ESC.

Dan
Damn! I'm gonna have Jimmy rebuild my packs
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #1548
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by jbackslash
I like my 40watt weller alot, until I have to buy another one. Where do you find replacement tips for it?
I get tips for my weller at sears, or home depot.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:49 PM   #1549
Tech Adept

Go to www.bomir.com. Find the Goot's TQ-95. It's a 150 watt pen for 24.95... It will burn down 100.00+ solder stations. Get one and you will never look back. They also have a gun (TQ-77)it's 200 watt. 35.00?? If you prefer guns
Nice thing about goot pens & guns . They sit and idle about 350F until you pull trigger or press button, 10 seconds later they glow cherry red. The tips don't wear out as fast because of idle Temperate. The there is no need to buy big tips with these guns or pens. There is plenty of juice to solder with. I have had TQ- 95 for 8 months with orginial tip. Works fine.

Last edited by akrcracer; 11-05-2003 at 10:20 PM.
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:05 AM   #1550
Tech Addict

I have a question about discharging trays

how bad can it be if i use a tray with diodes?
i have a smart tray II that will automatically cut off and all the cells are equalized to 0.8V, can i use that tray to discharge the fuku packs??
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:47 AM   #1551
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
I get tips for my weller at sears, or home depot.
wow, I never knew Sears had weller tips, and I've worked there 2 years
Old 11-06-2003, 04:23 AM   #1552
Tech Addict

TQ-95 I have one, it idles at 20 watts all day long. Can be set for 110 Volts or 220. Push the button (or pull the trigger) and its 200 watts of heat. The stock tip is the best one by far. Holds plenty of heat and the unit can make heat faster than you use it. I can build packs with a great solder job or solder reciever wires. All with the same unit. Right now they are $24.95 on the bomair web site listed above.

No affiliation Yadda Yadda............

David Root

Going to offer free shipping again?
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:31 AM   #1553
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpaton

Quote:
I have experienced the exact same thing. My 40watt weller gets 2x as hot as my 250watt solder "gun". They are and always have been, total crap. My weller can sink a tinned battery par onto a tinned cell in about a second (granted it has a nice, clean tip)
It totally depends on the gun you get. Mine was made to solder big mil-spec turret connections. My dad has a very nice 210W(?) Weller gun I got him a few years ago which has made short work of battery packs in the past. You also have to let the gun warm up, I usually give it 3-5 seconds between when I hit the trigger and when I actually start to solder.

The reason I use a gun to solder with is that I find the big irons (100+W) to be really unwieldy. I have a 100W Weller, but it has a 5/8" wide chisel tip, and it's weight and form factor are just not practical for me to use on batteries. The gun gives me enough heat and heat capacity to solder batteries without a problem. Your mileage will definately vary

And like all things, practice makes perfect

As for Jimmy's attention to detail...

When I worked in a corporate research lab, we had to meter everything to within half a gnat's ass, including the 0.1g amounts of solder we used for SMT component placement. I consciously became a little more sloppy after that to keep from going crazy. I have managed to get good enough where I can place a pretty precise amount of solder with a roll of Kester 63/37. Eyeballing it is amazingly accurate once you learn what it's supposed to look like

-dave
dpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:55 AM   #1554
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dpaton
It totally depends on the gun you get. Mine was made to solder big mil-spec turret connections. My dad has a very nice 210W(?) Weller gun I got him a few years ago which has made short work of battery packs in the past. You also have to let the gun warm up, I usually give it 3-5 seconds between when I hit the trigger and when I actually start to solder.
Yes I am aware of how to solder with a gun... pull the trigger, watch the pretty light for 5 or 10 seconds.. and vuala, you are supposed to have heat. I have used probably 5 or 6 different sodlering guns/irons, and my 40watt weller has been the best so far.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 AM   #1555
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Dave, want to build my packs for me from now on?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #1556
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yes I am aware of how to solder with a gun... pull the trigger, watch the pretty light for 5 or 10 seconds.. and vuala, you are supposed to have heat. I have used probably 5 or 6 different sodlering guns/irons, and my 40watt weller has been the best so far.
Maybe I'm just luckier? I really can't explain why mine would work so well and yours so poorly.

-dave
Old 11-06-2003, 09:23 AM   #1557
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by John Fontaine
Dave, want to build my packs for me from now on?
I'm not sure you could afford me

-dave
Old 11-06-2003, 09:40 AM   #1558
Tech Elite

LOL....understood
Old 11-06-2003, 10:41 AM   #1559
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I gotta agree that the irons have been way easier to use than guns for me. I recently upgraded from my 40 watt weller, to a 50 watt WESD51, really nice iron/station. Has a digital tip temperature readout, so you dont bother trying to solder the bars on the batts if the heat hasn't built back up. Makes very quick and clean work of building the batts. The iron is also replaceable, so it should last me some time (although I got 5 years out of my weller)
Old 11-06-2003, 10:51 AM   #1560
Tech Elite

My 15 dollar home depot wellers pretty much suck (they have self destructed twice now in a year). I'll be investing in a good iron/station soon.