R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #61
Tech Champion

I realize that laquor thinner won't take off a pre-mounted foam since they use CA now to hold it...I'm talking more of when I remount it using the old contact cement method. The few sets of tires now I've gone through since starting back up in 1/12th scale have all had problems seperating from the rim just like they did back in the contact cement days. The way I mounted mine had much less seperation issues then a factory glued tire. I guess with the larger diameter rim I could grind them down but with the normal diameter rim my tire truer will not reach all the way to the rim.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

You could always throw them on your truer and use sandpaper or a file to take off the foam that it wont reach.

Although mounting tires at this point is probably not worth it IMO. I dont think you will have problems with them coming off the rim normally. I havent had a Parma touring tire come off the rim in hundreds of sets.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #63
Tech Champion

I guess...I just like to do it myself...I find all to often that factory trued tires once they get to me are no longer true. If they come with a lot of meat that's fine because I can still true them to the height I like...but if they are pre-trued to race heights I cannot.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 AM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I guess...I just like to do it myself...I find all to often that factory trued tires once they get to me are no longer true. If they come with a lot of meat that's fine because I can still true them to the height I like...but if they are pre-trued to race heights I cannot.
Our tires still come big out of the box. I am not totally for the race trued tires just because there are people who like to start their tires bigger and don't want to start them rubber band sizes. Yea it is a pain to true a lot off to get them to smaller big race size but there are a lot more guys who run bigger tires for weekly racing than smaller tires for big races.

Paul
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Question.....Lee Majors or TJ Hooker?
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #66
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i've got to think about that one...
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #67
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03
Our tires still come big out of the box. I am not totally for the race trued tires just because there are people who like to start their tires bigger and don't want to start them rubber band sizes. Yea it is a pain to true a lot off to get them to smaller big race size but there are a lot more guys who run bigger tires for weekly racing than smaller tires for big races.

Paul
I've been using the GRP's recently and even though I have a truer, I love the fact that they come at 58mm, I know your boxes state that your tires are made by GRP do you have a different foam formula than theirs? They feel the same to me, but I am not good enough to really say that they are exactly the same. Locally anyone who runs 64mm usually gets convinced that the "need" to true their tires to get their car to handle right
Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #68
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i think the problem with having grp true them to 58 is in their grinding wheel. it has a very generous radius on it, and ends up narrowing the tire too much, even when cut down to 56. probably fine for asphalt, but on carpet, sidewall characteristics are paramount. unfortunately, unless they can get a custom grinding wheel from grp, they will likely come at 60.

- darrel taylor -
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #69
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey darrel,

what if i wanted to run a 1/4 inch radius on the sidewall?would this change the handling of my car if i was to run on gravel?any help would be appreciated.

Master Baiter
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #70
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey chicky,

is the HD speed 8 more suited towards carpet? i am running this weekend at a state series race and have the standard speed 8 and the HD,which would you recomend for asphalt 19 turn?

thanks dude
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
i think the problem with having grp true them to 58 is in their grinding wheel. it has a very generous radius on it, and ends up narrowing the tire too much, even when cut down to 56. probably fine for asphalt, but on carpet, sidewall characteristics are paramount. unfortunately, unless they can get a custom grinding wheel from grp, they will likely come at 60.

- darrel taylor -
That sounds like an insurmountable problem
Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

parma have any plans for making a 26mm tire???
Old 03-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

I believe the new big rim tires they have comming out for touring car will be 28mm
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Paul the package made it for our race,thanks for the support your the man
Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 AM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03
Thanks for everyone who used Parma products at the Snowbirds to help you get the great results.

TC stock:
Parma Mohawk 9 out of 10 in the main. TQ and 1-8 and 10th in the main. Parma Tires 4 out of 10 TQ and second qual. 2,3,4 in the main.

TC 19T:
Parma Mohawk TQ and Win, 6 out of 10 in the main, one of them was an Alfa.

TC mod:
Parma Mohawk TQ, 4 out of 10 in the main one was an alfa that finished 2nd.
Parma tires 4th qualfier and second in the main.

1/12 stock:
Parma speed 8 and speed 8 hd. 1st place Speed 8. 7 out of 10 in the main.
Parma new Big Rim Pro 38 tires 2,6 and 10th qualifier, 3rd, 6th and 10th in the main

The Type M tqed stock rubber but that is the only result I know of in the rubber classes.

The new Pro 38 Big rim 1/12 tires were awesome. A big improvement in stability.

Paul
Don't forget PARMA foam tq'd and won the Touring Oval class as well. Thanks for all of the help Paul.

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote