R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Like Tree3Likes

Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #1216
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Curious, can ROAR approve specs that fit castle motors as well as tekin, and have those in conjunction to the Novak specs instead of having castle make a new motor?
The specs will stay the same. All companies that want ROAR approved motors will have to make motors that fit the specs. If a company don't have motors that meet these specs they will have to retool and make new ones built to the specs that basically another motor company setup to meet their motors ala Novak. Other companys had ideas but where pretty much over looked so now all companies that want ROAR approved motors will have to conform to the specs that are posted in the newest ROAR rules.

Tekin would also have to do the same thing and make sure the motors they have meet all the size specs that ROAR came out with. All motor companies will be under the same guidelines. The rules basically where setup by Novak so no wonder why they will have the first set of motors that will be ROAR legal. Pretty much Like Trinity did during the late 80's til now with brushed setups.

Some companies seemingly have every thing approved and well some don't. It simply is just the way the world works. If I had tons of money it would be very easy to make things in R/C happen. Been watching it happens for 24 years and it will never change.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #1217
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Mamba or spektrum m8 not compatible?

I recently upgraded my radio from a spektrum 2.0 with mamba max esc to a airtronics m8 w/spektrum module. Everything worked fine before but now it takes about 3 minutes to initialize my esc, the steering works but I get no throttle control until I wait 3 minutes. I tried it with my friends m8 and experienced the same problem.

doses anyone know how to fix this or should I just sell the airtronics m8? I am currently using firmware 1.09 on my mamba and when I upgraded to 1.17 it made things worst, there was no throttle.

seems weird how it worked fine with the dx2.0 and when I went to airtronics I got this problem

thank you
joyride153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #1218
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride153 View Post
I recently upgraded my radio from a spektrum 2.0 with mamba max esc to a airtronics m8 w/spektrum module. Everything worked fine before but now it takes about 3 minutes to initialize my esc, the steering works but I get no throttle control until I wait 3 minutes. I tried it with my friends m8 and experienced the same problem.

doses anyone know how to fix this or should I just sell the airtronics m8? I am currently using firmware 1.09 on my mamba and when I upgraded to 1.17 it made things worst, there was no throttle.

seems weird how it worked fine with the dx2.0 and when I went to airtronics I got this problem

thank you
Have you tried using the dx radio again to see if the problem dissapears? have you attempted to rebind the radio to the receiver?

I noticed this with an SR3500 receiver that I have. It would at times connect to the ESC fine. Then at times it would just sit there for a good while before it would connect. I would however have power to the receiver, and my steering servo worked great. I tried a glitch buster capacitor from Spektrum but I don't think it matters.

I did notice that if I shutdown my radio, but turn the ESC on and then turn the radio on, it works. Strange stuff.

I am going to try the receiver on another MM so I can see if that eliminates the ESC from the equation.

On other ESCs though and previous mambas, the SR3500 worked fine before.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #1219
Tech Fanatic

Default .

I tried it with my spektrum and it worked fine, on both mine and my friends m8 spektrum I had to wait about 3 miunites till it started up ( like it was warming up or something), steering worked the whole time but no power, I tried binding it and everything still no solution. works fine after the 3 minutes but i know it should not be this way. I tried 2 receivers sr3000 and a sr3001 same problem.

DO you think it might be just airtronics and spektrum? What did you do with your problem? Just live with it?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #1220
Tech Legend

Right now I haven't done too much about it because I just got the MM from you

I'll post what I find when I get home from work. I am going to try the following:

1. Rebind SR3500 to MM ESC where the problem is occurring.

2. Connect SR3500 to other MM ESC that works fine with SR3000 receiver

3. Connect the new MM ESC I have that shows the issue to the SR3000 reciever and test

4. Put fresh batteries in the transmitter and see if that helps

5. Check connectors on new MM ESC and see if there is an issue (your buddy had poor solder joints for the motor wires, maybe that is part of it for the deans plug?)

I'll post my findings to this thread. Strange that its a series of receivers you are experiencing the issue, but it goes away when you change the radio. Did you also try your spektrum radio with the other receivers that fail with the m8? Reason I ask is to eliminate in your testing the receiver as a possible cause, at least, as much as possible.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #1221
Tech Fanatic

Default .

did the same thing with your esc to, I just thought that airtronics had a delay with my old dx2.0 it worked fine
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #1222
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default mm and neu 1515 motor settings

xb8 with mm and neu1515 motor. please suggest mm settings for this.
i have 1.17 firmware
auto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #1223
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Are you using 4s lipo? if so, try the 12v cutoff, brushless setting punch control at 20%, reverse at 25%. This will give you a good starting point.
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #1224
Tech Legend

Ok, I finally got to try my tests. Bear in mind though my second esc uses an external BEC which I think may be why that one doesn't fail at all.

1. Rebind SR3500 to MM ESC where the problem is occurring.

NO CHANGE

2. Connect SR3500 to other MM ESC that works fine with SR3000 receiver

It worked fine

3. Connect the new MM ESC I have that shows the issue to the SR3000 reciever and test

The problem showed up

4. Put fresh batteries in the transmitter and see if that helps

NO CHANGE

5. Check connectors on new MM ESC and see if there is an issue (your buddy had poor solder joints for the motor wires, maybe that is part of it for the deans plug?)

Connectors appeared to be fine

So, and this was posted on another thread but I gave it a try prior, looking at how it was just ticking away, I decide to do the setup process to see if that was what it was waiting for. Once I did this, it worked fine. Each receiver booted up, and even would boot at 1 sec interval or 5 sec. Didn't matter. What I am curious about though is that it was said that if you change settings, you need to reconfigure the ESC. I went back and changed a few things, but it still booted up fine. So I am not sure why it needed to be reconfigured then. Seems like it just forgot a setting.

But it works fine now.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #1225
Tech Regular

I apologize if I overlooked it in this thread, but I tried to read through the whole thing. I want to start racing 10th Scale 19T Sedan at my local track. Which Mamba Brushless motor would be the equivalent...if any.
Thanks
revrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #1226
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

subscribing
mikeygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #1227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrace View Post
I apologize if I overlooked it in this thread, but I tried to read through the whole thing. I want to start racing 10th Scale 19T Sedan at my local track. Which Mamba Brushless motor would be the equivalent...if any.
Thanks
None. The slowest Mamba motor is faster than a 19t.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #1228
PDM
Tech Adept

Castle guys, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE.?

I changed to the new Castle link 3.04 (with new firmware) just to find out my car is not working anymore. I assumed that with Castle equipment things would be easy. Wrong.

You made a new line to fix the Throttle Deadband, come on, even cheap radios like mine DX3 have that function (page 21 instructions book), I do not need it in the ESC. More, now nothing works with the ESC. And you know it is hard to get back to the previous software, you took it out of your site.

And why is that, the esc now assumes diferent settings from the transmitter.
first thing i noticed with the new firm ware is that the values I had in the radio even with the full throttle aplyed the green led was always blinking.

And another thing, you explaned it as being simple but to achieve the desired numbers 1000ms, 1500ms and 2000ms playing with the EPA in the transmitter you forgot to mention that each time you change those EPA values you have to make the Calibration again. and more with my radio even with the Throttle EPA in 125% the ESC read 1921ms (far from those desired 2000ms) and at the end we will be with the transmitter with 125% Trh EPA, 95% Brake EPA and 20% SubTrim, for example, to achive your numbers. But is not the first thing that we learn with the ESC keep the EPA 100% for each side?

Confused? you bet.

Just let me know how can I get to the point I was, with everything working fine (previous software).

I am not happy, I drove 50 Km to the track today ( and the 50km back) just to find out my ESC was not working. And without a computer around having a MM with this problem is like to have no ESC at all. When a software version for a pocket PC?
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #1229
PDM
Tech Adept

Spektrum DX3.0 users

If you decide to update to the new MM firmware do as follows:

- put throttle trim to 0
- put TDB (throttle Deadband) to 0
- put EPA to 125% for throttle and EPA to 125% for brake
- put Sub-trim for throttle (THS) to L/F 37
- Make the Calibration to MM esc acording to instructions

When open the castlelink (v3.04) I read:
Full Reverse 1,081ms
Neutral 1,492ms
Full Forward 1,999ms

At home things look OK. Need to try at the track now, but at least I feel I have full throttle and brake again.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #1230
Tech Regular

Well I really thought my bad connections were the bullet/bannana connectors on the 5700's motor leads. I resoldered those and was back up running but then it started cutting out again. More fiddling around with this and it actually seems like the bad connection may actually be where the wires are soldered to the motor inside the case...

...or maybe it's the barrel spring on the connectors. I just adjusted the spring for a tighter fit on the plug that is less firm (but still firm enough to think that the connection should be fine) than the other two. Got through one battery without a glitch. Will do a few more runs today after work. Geez...

Last edited by DARKWAV; 02-11-2008 at 10:55 AM.
DARKWAV is offline   Reply With Quote