R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Like Tree3Likes

Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #2251
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsakiris View Post
hey how does the punch control work on the MM? Meaning if set at 90% does that mean it allowing 90% of the power through it, and holding ten back. or is that only allowing 10% and holding 90% back?

2nd question, the timing, if a NON castle motor is used can the timing still be advanced? Is this only done through speedo and not in the motor?

thanks Joe
Punch control is like an amp draw limiter, kinda like the old brushed speed controls back in the day, it caps the amount of power the motors will put out, so depending on gearing, it could feel soft on the bottom end but still be fast. This is a good adjustment to maybe control wheelspin or to maybe gain a little more runtime. I have increased a non-castle motor's timing, be carefull with this adjustment, check your motor temps.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #2252
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07d675cm2 View Post
OK I have a good one I just installed the 2200 kv into my revo about 6 days ago now i have been waiting on some lipos so ive been playing around with the 7.4 5000mah venoms x 2 that were in my old system well everything seemed to be ok till today when i was driving it around and all of a sudden it stoped, I walked up to it and its sitting there just glitching the more throttle i give it the more it glitches what in the world happens I have the spectrum telemetry setup and the motor never got above 110 degrees and there is a fan mounted on the motor as well the the one built into the esc any ideas,,, im thinking something fried... maybe the batteries. Thanks in advance.
I think this could be voltage cutoff.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #2253
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowster21 View Post
Hey all, Need some help with my MMP. I just got it on Friday, wired it up, went to calibrate it and it won't find neutral no matter what I do. Tried trims, hi points, different receivers, curves, everything. When I just turn the unit on, it does arm but then will only run the motor for one blip of the throttle then feels like it's cogging. I put it on the castle link and changed the dead band, bec, all that and it still wont calibrate neutral. Using a Helios with Spektrum Pro module and receiver. Any ideas?
I actually made this mistake before when I ran mine for the first time, it isn't a matter of finding neutral, I think the ESC might be in sensored mode with a sensorless motor. I would check that, or maybe even reflash the controller and load all the defaults back and reset it.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #2254
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
Just helped a mate install the above in an e-maxx. full CC mamba monster esc and motor combo for it, using the original traxxas crystal tx/rx, and 2 brand new LRP VTEC 5300mah 40c lipo packs. Using a brand new thunder t6 charger.

It runs slower than the stock twin brushed motor set up

Has anyone any suggestions? The cells are fully charged and show so on the charger. The esc is calibrated correctly, and we get the green led at full throttle and brake. There is not enough power to even wheely.

This is infact the second attempt as the first esc was faulty and was replaced by (a very good customer service experience) Greg at CC. Thanks for that.

But we have no improvement over the brushed motors in speed, infact it looks slower.

I will try different batteries at a hobby store this week for him as that is the only thing I can imagine, but the cells are new! Lipos (LRP) don`t need cycling right?

Thanks
It could be gearing? is the motor turning a lot of RPM? is the motor hot? Maybe attempt to gear up.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #2255
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLump View Post
I read that MM can run a sensored motors 13.5 and lower. Which motors are best? im running a slash with some nice matched nimh. thanks!
it should run a 13.5 without the sensor, you might see a cog here and there, but for the most part, it should run pretty good, as you go down in turns the easier for the controller to detect the rotor. I while back I ran a trinity 13.5 with a MM and it was perfect.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #2256
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default setup

Where can I find {& print} the test/setup procedure for the torque control ???
I would like to do it {the right way} the first time
Thank you

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 08-03-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #2257
Tech Fanatic

I installed the 3.255 software and had problems with drivability and motor shutdowns with two diiferent motors. I followed the kv test procedure with each and even repeated it.
I went back to the 3.253 version and everything worked fine with both motors.
Has anyone else had issues and if so did you solve them?
old_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #2258
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post
Where can I find {& print} the test/setup procedure for the torque control ???
I would like to do it {the right way} the first time
Thank you
When you select to run the kv test the instructions pop up. Here are the steps though.

1. Select to run the Kv test.
2. Download this to the SC.
3. Dissconnect from the Castle Link and reconnect to your reciever.
4. Remove the pinion from your motor.
5. Power up the system.
6. Pull full throtle on your radio and wait. The SC will run the motor up for about 3 seconds and shut off.
7. Turn off the SC.
8. Turn the SC back on and then off again to complete the test.
9. Now plug back in to Castle Link and you will see the Kv of the motor.
10. Save this information.

By the way I am having drivability problems with the 1.28 version of firmware that has this option. I returned to 1.26 and do not have the power limiter available to me until Castle can fix the bugs.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #2259
Tech Fanatic

Thank you old_dude

Thats what I was looking for.

I haven't put 1.28 in my MMpro yet and wont until the next up date 1.29.

I did put 1.27 in my MM and it wiped out the USB
After talking to CC they told me to use the link and that let me put 1.28 in it, that seems to be working good with the old MM.

I think you have to run no punch control when using torque control but I'm not sure if I want to try it.

Thanks again old_dude
Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #2260
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you old_dude

Thats what I was looking for.

I haven't put 1.28 in my MMpro yet and wont until the next up date 1.29.

I did put 1.27 in my MM and it wiped out the USB
After talking to CC they told me to use the link and that let me put 1.28 in it, that seems to be working good with the old MM.

I think you have to run no punch control when using torque control but I'm not sure if I want to try it.

Thanks again old_dude
Look at the software. There is no punch control setting on the 3.255 version.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2261
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
Look at the software. There is no punch control setting on the 3.255 version.
I had to look at it again to be sure, I do have punch control settings with 3.255/1.28. I'm at 10%.
Maybe it goes away after you do the KV test, I'm going to try it, just because it's there & I want to play with it Whats the worst than can happen
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #2262
Tech Fanatic

I backed up to 1.26 and still have issues with shutdowns of the motor. It will run fine then just stop. The motor is ok since it runs like it should on another sc. Either something is wrong with the sc or the 1.28 left some junk behind when I went back to 1.26

Last edited by old_dude; 08-10-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #2263
Tech Fanatic

Default Update:

Castle just posted an update that fixes some bugs. 3.26 with Mamba Max Pro 1.29 firmware.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #2264
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I had to look at it again to be sure, I do have punch control settings with 3.255/1.28. I'm at 10%.
Maybe it goes away after you do the KV test, I'm going to try it, just because it's there & I want to play with it Whats the worst than can happen
Yeh its there they just moved it to the power tab. I seem to still have issues running anything hotter than a 13.5 even on the 1.29 firmware (3.26 release) I am not sure now if its an esc problem or software.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #2265
Tech Adept

Can someone tell me the recommended temp range for the new CC/Neu 1518 1800kv motor? I'm running on our local track (Fairfield OH) for ~ 10 min runs of great racing. The car is a converted 1/8 IGT2 with 4S2P 7600mah bats. The gearing is 26/46 and 30/43 for second gear. Top speed is in the 70mph range but she's very tame using 50% expo when burning up the track.
Right now temps seem to peak at 155 deg after 7-10 min of racing (ambient temps are 80-95 deg). Thanks in advance.
Missle is offline   Reply With Quote