Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread! >

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

Joe

Do i have to update the Firmware on my Mamba Max to the newest v1.20 or to stay with the current one v1.17?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default open modified race

Hi, I'm going to join an open modified electric tc race using Cyclone TC and Mamba 6900. I'm planning to use the EP4600 battery. I need advice on what to use, 6 cell or 5 cell pack? Which is more competitive to run with in open modified race? What gearing can you recommend if I use 5 cell Nimh with Mamba 6900 to be competitive with other racers? Thanks in advance..
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Born2...you don't have to use the latest one, but we highly recommend it. There was a pretty significant difference in the startup routine from 1.17 to 1.20...makes things much smoother off the line. If you're going to update the software make sure you re-calibrate the ESC to the radio afterwards (full throttle, full brake, neutral...in the manual).
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grizzle
Hi, I'm going to join an open modified electric tc race using Cyclone TC and Mamba 6900. I'm planning to use the EP4600 battery. I need advice on what to use, 6 cell or 5 cell pack? Which is more competitive to run with in open modified race? What gearing can you recommend if I use 5 cell Nimh with Mamba 6900 to be competitive with other racers? Thanks in advance..
It will depend on what the track size is, and to an extent its layout (fast and flowing vs tight and techincal), what your competition is running, and also your driving skill/style. In general, the 5 cell pack will be a tad slower, but more controllable. If the track is very big, you may want to consider a 7700 or even a 9k on 5 cells. That way you get the speed, but still controlablility with the lower voltage
Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
wwoodruff

How much longer before the 1/8 scale buggy conversion kits are available?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

I run the Sidewinder 5700 on my xxx-t cr. I'm running temps around 190+ with a 16 pinion, 86 spur on a loamy track. I'm worried about these temps. I have all the speed I need but can't keep the temps down. Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by sluggoman; 04-13-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A heatsink, maybe, but you probably need to gear down... Try a 14 tooth pinion.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Hello

Is it just me or is the 7700kv motor slow?.. My LRP Sphere and speed passion 4.5 combo was faster. I have tried all gearing combo's from the same fdr as the sp 4.5, to higher, and even lower fdr, and still cant match the speed. This is for onroad touring.

Thanks Ya`All
Old 04-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello again and thank you all for the answers!
I want to ask again about firmwere update...
When I buyed the mamba max7700, it was with the old 1.15 or so version and I have very very big problems with calibrating and even starting the mamba at all(switch on/off dozens of times until mamba finally responds on commands). After updating with firmwere 1.17 it works great. Now I'm woundering if to update to 1.20 or stay at 1.17? I'm worried if I update it, the old problems may come back...
P.s. Is anybody ever used other settings then all on *LOW and punch lower then 70%? My HPI Super RS4 cant stand on its wheels when I hit the throtle. Will it be any big difference if all is on *NORMAL, or different settings on the punch control?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
Hello

Is it just me or is the 7700kv motor slow?.. My LRP Sphere and speed passion 4.5 combo was faster. I have tried all gearing combo's from the same fdr as the sp 4.5, to higher, and even lower fdr, and still cant match the speed. This is for onroad touring.

Thanks Ya`All
I had the same feeling with you when i was running a Nosram evolution 2007 with an LRP 4.5T motor until i shortened the wires from my 7700 motor to Mamba max and hardwired them. On 7.91 FDR its fast as my GM Evo 7T Delta wound (eq. 4T star) with 12.5mm rotor on 7.49 FDR.By the way what fdr are you running? Have you tried to run your SP 4.5 with the mamba max speedo?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wish_Mastera
Hello again and thank you all for the answers!
I want to ask again about firmwere update...
When I buyed the mamba max7700, it was with the old 1.15 or so version and I have very very big problems with calibrating and even starting the mamba at all(switch on/off dozens of times until mamba finally responds on commands). After updating with firmwere 1.17 it works great. Now I'm woundering if to update to 1.20 or stay at 1.17? I'm worried if I update it, the old problems may come back...
P.s. Is anybody ever used other settings then all on *LOW and punch lower then 70%? My HPI Super RS4 cant stand on its wheels when I hit the throtle. Will it be any big difference if all is on *NORMAL, or different settings on the punch control?

Update to 1.20.No problem at all.But you have to recalibrate the speedo with your transmitter again.I did it a couple of days before and it runs fine.I use 10%-30% punch control and it runs very smooth.What radio are you using? Check your EXP on throttle.Maybe it's to high.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Born2Run
I had the same feeling with you when i was running a Nosram evolution 2007 with an LRP 4.5T motor until i shortened the wires from my 7700 motor to Mamba max and hardwired them. On 7.91 FDR its fast as my GM Evo 7T Delta wound (eq. 4T star) with 12.5mm rotor on 7.49 FDR.By the way what fdr are you running? Have you tried to run your SP 4.5 with the mamba max speedo?
I am still running the plugs and such that the speedo came with, i will cut them off and hardwire. Also does changing the wires to 12GA void the warranty?.. i was running a 8.7FDR on a medium technical track. I would have thought a 7.9FDR would cook this motor?. I sold my lrp sp combo, and only have the mamba max, got tired of using a sensor wire all the time. Also what settings are you using on the speedo ?

Thanks Ya`All
Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Tech Addict

I am still running the plugs and such that the speedo came with, i will cut them off and hardwire. Also does changing the wires to 12GA void the warranty?.. i was running a 8.7FDR on a medium technical track. I would have thought a 7.9FDR would cook this motor?. I sold my lrp sp combo, and only have the mamba max, got tired of using a sensor wire all the time. Also what settings are you using on the speedo ?

Thanks Ya`All
You have to cut the motor wires only (not the speedo wires if you don't want to void the warranty ),rid of the standard bullet connectors and hardwire or if you want to use different motors every time replace those bullets with the CC high current bullet connectors 4mm (as i have do) but you have to shorten the motor wires in both cases.Leave only about 3cm of wire coming out of the motor otherwise you could damage it.
As for my settings on the speedo im running drag brake:0 ,brake amount:100% but i decrease them from the transmitter when i have to do it, Start power:High , motor timing:normal ,punch control:10-30% ,custom cutoff voltage: 6.4v (im running 2s lipo).The throttle curve in most cases linear and i have increase the EXP to +70 from my transmitter on brakes because i have the feeling of a little delay on braking.I also use a small fan on the speedo but it wasn't necessary and my motor temps after 5 mins are usualy about 65 Celsius and 70 Celsius the very hot summer days.Thats all.I hope it was helpfull.

One last thing: Don't try to replace the speedo wires with 12GA because it's very difficult to melt the solder they use to solder on the board.If you'll try it you'll probably damage the board.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Born2Run
You have to cut the motor wires only (not the speedo wires if you don't want to void the warranty ),rid of the standard bullet connectors and hardwire or if you want to use different motors every time replace those bullets with the CC high current bullet connectors 4mm (as i have do) but you have to shorten the motor wires in both cases.Leave only about 3cm of wire coming out of the motor otherwise you could damage it.
As for my settings on the speedo im running drag brake:0 ,brake amount:100% but i decrease them from the transmitter when i have to do it, Start power:High , motor timing:normal ,punch control:10-30% ,custom cutoff voltage: 6.4v (im running 2s lipo).The throttle curve in most cases linear and i have increase the EXP to +70 from my transmitter on brakes because i have the feeling of a little delay on braking.I also use a small fan on the speedo but it wasn't necessary and my motor temps after 5 mins are usualy about 65 Celsius and 70 Celsius the very hot summer days.Thats all.I hope it was helpfull.

One last thing: Don't try to replace the speedo wires with 12GA because it's very difficult to melt the solder they use to solder on the board.If you'll try it you'll probably damage the board.
How would you hardwire it niceley, without cutting the bullet connectors off the speedo ?.. Also regards to the FDR?

Thanks Ya`All
Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

How would you hardwire it niceley, without cutting the bullet connectors off the speedo ?.. Also regards to the FDR?

Thanks Ya`All
Use your soldering iron to take off the bullet connectors and resolder the speedo wires together with wires coming out of the motor.Its very easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.