R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

Phil....I am looking forward to giving the E-stock a shot in the next series race....
Trent you have mail dude.....
Thanks....Dwayne
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #392
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Killerkevin

Hey Dwayne do you have a set up from your race in Edmonton for your PHI? If you do Randy would really like to have it from you. Since he just learned to use a computer this year it will have to be sent to me. LOL T you have e-mail.

Last edited by Killerkevin; 11-04-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Killerkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #393
Tech Adept

Hey Guys, I have a few questions for you . First off we are totally lovin' the 4900's. they are really a great battery. I use my buddies trak power balancer on my 2 maybe every 10 charges or so with a 2 to 5 second balance time. This after 15 minutes minimum on the lipo in my t4 and MM5700 that can easily pass my GT with a strong 1 hp cvr. Love it. The battery stays super cool with the Mamba sucking as hard as it can. Thanks Trent for the great price back when-ever it was on special.We'll be ordering more soon. I've been running the mamba 5700 for awhile now. We've all be having alot of problem with the bearings here on my sand track. I've just received my 3rd replacement 5700 and decided I needed something to backup it up. I just purchased a T-Bang x19 hemi. Gord had his(tbang k 19t) wired to the MM esc in the brushed -reverse mode and with a 18/87 he'd run about 125-130*f at the motor. I wired mine to the MM esc in brushed high power mode and with 19/87 I got to 160 in about 2 minutes. My track is alittle shorter then kamloops but alot faster flow and good traction. So the first Question is have any of you run the mm esc in both brushed modes and what did you find different? Is the esc in high powered brushed mode giving to much power to the motor or maybe i'm over geared? I know that coming off the track temps should be about 150ish, so wheres the best place to temp from . Can or end-bell? Thanks for the extreme 19 hemi Trent ,thats one fast spec motor. Dan in Lillooet, BC.
danimal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #394
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to BigDaddyT

Hey Dan!

Dude. So sorry. I haven't been around the message boards for a little while, and so this response is super late. Hopefully the info is still relevant for you though! Here are the answers to your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal1965 View Post
Hey Guys, I have a few questions for you . First off we are totally lovin' the 4900's. they are really a great battery. I use my buddies trak power balancer on my 2 maybe every 10 charges or so with a 2 to 5 second balance time. This after 15 minutes minimum on the lipo in my t4 and MM5700 that can easily pass my GT with a strong 1 hp cvr. Love it. The battery stays super cool with the Mamba sucking as hard as it can. Thanks Trent for the great price back when-ever it was on special.We'll be ordering more soon. I've been running the mamba 5700 for awhile now. We've all be having alot of problem with the bearings here on my sand track. I've just received my 3rd replacement 5700 and decided I needed something to backup it up. I just purchased a T-Bang x19 hemi.
Right on! I'm glad to hear that the TrakPower's are running strong for you guys. We've honestly had 0% trouble with those packs so far, so I expect they will continue on to run strong for you. My personal packs are holding up great over time. The only bummer is that they don't fit into my RDX PHI now, so I need something for spring time!

Bearings are always a problem in sandy conditions - it's too bad that Castle did not make the Mamba motors serviceable. I think this is a major shortfall on their part. For what it's worth, the bearings on the T-Bang cans are totally replaceable. New ones are available from us any time you need.

Quote:
Gord had his(tbang k 19t) wired to the MM esc in the brushed -reverse mode and with a 18/87 he'd run about 125-130*f at the motor. I wired mine to the MM esc in brushed high power mode and with 19/87 I got to 160 in about 2 minutes. My track is alittle shorter then kamloops but alot faster flow and good traction. So the first Question is have any of you run the mm esc in both brushed modes and what did you find different?
I haven't personally tried out the brushed modes on the MM esc. I would think that the two modes should deliver similar amounts of power as far as a brushed motor is concerned, so I would think the temperature differential is probably from something else. Most likely gearing.

Quote:
Is the esc in high powered brushed mode giving to much power to the motor or maybe i'm over geared? I know that coming off the track temps should be about 150ish, so wheres the best place to temp from . Can or end-bell? Thanks for the extreme 19 hemi Trent ,thats one fast spec motor. Dan in Lillooet, BC.
I'm with you there - I think the gear ratio is most likely the culprit. Every motor has it's own personality, so even if you are geared identical to Gord, the combo of your truck, driving style, and motor could make a difference. I would definitely drop a tooth and see if it gets better.

150'ish is about right - I find the endbell usually gets a bit hotter than the can, so take a measurement from both. If either is getting into the 150's, it's probably time to drop it down a tooth.

Also, pull the brushes out periodically. If they are getting purple and burned then that's another sign of too much gear on there. If they are looking clean, then you're probably doing ok.

Thanks again! Good luck out there!

T
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #395
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

Trent and Phil,

you guys may or may not already have noticed, but the WCICS guys have just allowed up to 4600 for the remainder of this season.
What do you recommend?
I'll be needing a couple of packs soon, but it might be good to let those of us who race that series know what you can offer !
Old 11-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #396
Tech Elite

Great info Trent....keep it coming. It is hard these days to get honest reliable info...
See you soon.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #397
Tech Addict

Thanks Stu! Good question!

We got the news yesterday, and it's fantastic that the drivers are going to the have the option to use the newer cells. Phil gave me a poke to remind me to spread the word, but I haven't gotten around to it. There's no time like the present though!

Right now, we are offering two main cell options:

Corally IB4200 - Corally is doing a fantastic job of mitigating some of the known problems with the IB cell. They have a triple screening process during their matching where they are attempting to weed out any weak cells. Each cell in each pack is tested on arrival, during matching, and then before it leaves Corally for us. On our side, we've adopted a policy of ordering up smaller batches of cells so that they can be turned around while they are fresh. It's a bit more costly for freight this way, but so far we have had very good results getting the cells to our customers in a timely manner from matching to retail.

Trinity EP4600 Cell - These are the first "next gen" cells that we have received. So far, we have had good results as well. The additional capacity has been popular with 12th scale and mod racers in particular. Really, the only drawback was that the 4600 cells weren't legal in a number of clubs and series (including the WCICS until now), so we haven't had a ton sold yet. They are here and ready to roll out right away though!

As for characteristics/application, the cells do have a very unique character. Average voltage is still higher on the IB4200 cells, while capacity is higher on the EP4600 cells. As I alluded to, the 4600's are particularly popular for 12th scale 19 and mod, and for TC mod. TC stock and 19T racers will benefit from the additional voltage of the IB cell.

Maintenance on both cells is very similar. Both must be stored with reasonable resting capacity as self-discharge can be a factor. Trinity is suggesting slightly more conservative voltage thresholds and charge rates for the EP cells, while IB's still seem to tolerate higher/hotter charging. On the reliability/robustness front, EP is marketed to have a slight edge, but in reality, both brands of cells have had some failures. We still haven't seen a truly reliable long-life cell among the recent offerings, but they are trending in the right direction. There are less failures than we were seeing even 6 months ago.

That's a high level overview..... As always, if there's anything else you need to know, we are more than happy to get the data to you guys.

Thanks again Stu.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #398
Tech Elite

huh???? my post went before Trents post weird???
Old 11-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #399
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any idea when the C2 hemi winds will be available in the store?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #400
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Any idea when the C2 hemi winds will be available in the store?
I've got several batches of motors coming down the pipe this weekend..... I'll get those HEMI C's up there. The first batch came off the dyno last week, and looked really good.

Power and RPM are up over the old Mabuchi-wrap C2's, and they are a good complement to the Hemi K performance wise. The K reaches peak power at around 60-70% of it's RPM range, while the C2 peaks at approximately 40%. This translates into a bit more infield rip, but the top end is not lacking either.... I ran one at club racing last week and it felt pretty solid!

T
Old 11-24-2007, 12:32 AM   #401
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to more$thanbrains

you were pretty quick last week trent

but then again your allways quick

i think im gunna have to try out the C2 HEMI

see you in december
more$thanbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #402
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Saw one of your motors for the first the other day, VERY NICE, it appeared to be hand tuned, not just a motor with a dyno sheet and called "tuned", keep up the good work.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #403
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by more$thanbrains View Post
you were pretty quick last week trent

but then again your allways quick

i think im gunna have to try out the C2 HEMI

see you in december

Thanks Matt! I appreciate the props. The cars are always quick..... it's the driver that is suspect! But I'm working on that part.....

The C2 Hemi was definitely strong - it's a different feel. I have run the HEMI K for a long time now, so I really noticed it. In some ways, it actually doesn't feel as "exciting" to drive, because you don't see this big power peak on the straightaway. However, when you realize that the thing is just freight-training through the infield because you're making tons of lower RPM power, it is a fair trade-off. Definitely something to have in your motor arsenal..... there are a lot of tracks where this may be the faster motor.

T
Old 11-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #404
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Saw one of your motors for the first the other day, VERY NICE, it appeared to be hand tuned, not just a motor with a dyno sheet and called "tuned", keep up the good work.
Hi Rhys!

Thanks so much. That is a huge compliment! This has been a good morning for me on RC Tech!

We definitely do our best, and each one of those motors is definitely hand tuned and then tested on our dyno, multiple times if necessary to get things right. If the DNA of a motor is such that we just can't get it right, it goes into the parts bin and we move on - strict no dud policy in effect!

Our dyno is running software that I designed and wrote. We even do all of our own packaging and art! So, the entire process receives a considerable amount of personal hands on care and attention throughout.

Whenever possible, I also like to work in small batches of 10-20 or motors at a time because I find it's fairly optimal in terms of being able to keep the flow and concentration through a batch of motors. For whatever reasons, breaking an order or run of 40 motors into 2 or 3 sub-batches yields better results. I think it's a concentration thing where my brain needs to stay fresh, so I avoid big production line style assembly and tuning.

Very glad to hear from you!

T
Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #405
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

what time is it over there at the moment Trent ? must be early
B4james is offline   Reply With Quote