R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #376
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to BigDaddyT

Actually one more thing just crossed my mind while I was out walking the dog this morning!!

I wasn't sure if everyone knew, but T-Bang has been selling LiPo batteries for about 6 months now!

We're definitely not anti-LiPo in case we are sounding that way..... If you guys haven't visited the site in a while, do check in. We have LiPo's and balancers available right now and they have been a successful product for us.

That said - it definitely doesn't solve the other problem of what we can do for guys running in the 4300-limit clubs and series right now.

So.... back to the drawing board!
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #377
Tech Regular

Absolutely, BigDaddyT.

It would be great to have access to reasonable comparison data not provided by a company insider/advocate/rep such that consumers can make informed choices. Trent, you made reference to a recent article that attmpted to do just that. Can you post the source? I have heard great things about the higher-priced products such as Orion, Duralite etc as well as Tanic, Scorpion etc which seem to be priced similarly. Unfortunately some of the larger capacity packs haven't been able to fit into the test cars used in some of the forums (JRX-S, FK04 etc). It will be interesting to see what Trinity comes up with - not advocating here - just curious. Some of the emerging providers have a lower price point but again, I wonder what is being compromised in the manufacturing process to achieve that cost? What is the impact on quality? Competitor company advocates will speculate for sure, but it would be very helpful to know in order to make recommendations and support etc.

I also came across some interesting test data and graphs (same software you have used, Kurk) from a year ago that showed the impact of charge rate, rest time etc on cell resting voltage and discharge on sample LiPo packs. While they are not subject to the same self-discharge extremes as we have seen with sub-c, the data showed that there was a marked effect that seems to counter the suggestion that they retain the same voltage over time. The criticism was that the data was a year old and that the newer cells performed differently. Having said this, two different battery brands both used a common cell, Kokam, but the price point was different. Curious.

Fun trying to make sense of it all through anecdotes - the plural of which is not data. Thoughts?

Phil
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #378
Tech Regular

Absolutely, BigDaddyT.

It would be great to have access to reasonable comparison data not provided by a company insider/advocate/rep such that consumers can make informed choices. Trent, you made reference to a recent article that attmpted to do just that. Can you post the source? I have heard great things about the higher-priced products such as Orion, Duralite etc as well as Tanic, Scorpion etc which seem to be priced similarly. Unfortunately some of the larger capacity packs haven't been able to fit into the test cars used in some of the forums (JRX-S, FK04 etc). It will be interesting to see what Trinity comes up with - not advocating here - just curious. Some of the emerging providers have a lower price point but again, I wonder what is being compromised in the manufacturing process to achieve that cost? What is the impact on quality? Competitor company advocates will speculate for sure, but it would be very helpful to know in order to make recommendations and support etc.

I also came across some interesting test data and graphs (same software you have used, Kurk) from a year ago that showed the impact of charge rate, rest time etc on cell resting voltage and discharge on sample LiPo packs. While they are not subject to the same self-discharge extremes as we have seen with sub-c, the data showed that there was a marked effect that seems to counter the suggestion that they retain the same voltage over time. The criticism was that the data was a year old and that the newer cells performed differently. Having said this, two different battery brands both used a common cell, Kokam, but the price point was different. Curious.

Fun trying to make sense of it all through anecdotes - the plural of which is not data. Thoughts?

Phil
Old 10-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #379
Tech Regular

Sorry for the double post. I was asked to re-enter my pw, did so, and voila!

Phil
Old 10-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #380
Tech Regular

Hey, everyone. Just heard back from Corally regarding their matching, testing and quality control process for IB NiMh cells. They, too, urge that these do not stay on the retail shelf for very long and that they get into the racers' hands as soon as possible to have good care and maintenance. This fits with our practice as of late - get the battery in our hands and then your hands as quickly as we can.

Corally tells us that they check voltage no less than three times and no cell with a resting voltage of lower than 1.1 v/c goes out the door. If the consumer finds one prior to putting the pack together, they will warrantee it - we simply need to let them know of the numbers etc on the cell.

Nice to see everyone is managing quality as best they can once received from the source.

Phil
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #381
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
Absolutely, BigDaddyT.

Phil
i got a kokam 2 cell 3200 into my jrxs with no problems
C_Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #382
Tech Regular

Yes, the problem comes into play, however, on the larger capacity cells which have larger dimensions.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #383
Tech Regular

http://www.redrc.net/2007/10/corally...s/#more-62will

when will the be out????
C_Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #384
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to BigDaddyT

They are coming very soon! Phil actually ran a prototype version of the new Pro10 car at the Big Chill a couple weeks back and it was awesome!

We've got a prototype of the F1 car coming over as well..... we will post photos of them on the T-Bang site very soon.
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #385
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

Big T......the PHI and the 12x were great this past weekend at the WCICS race in Edmonton....the cars were very fast but unfortunately I boned it a couple too many times in touring car.Check out the results and lap times in the WCICS thread.
Thanks dude....see you soon.
Dwayne Flodell
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #386
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Killerkevin

Hey T Dwaynes 12x was a very fast car this weekend! I gave it my best and tried to keep up to him. At least he didn't lap me!!! LOL My T-Bang type x-stock was super fast but no match for Dwayne. Keep it going Dwayne I will try and catch you next race!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #387
Tech Regular

Hi, Kevin.

Is that REALLY possible without a 12X in your hands, though?

Good racing, you guys. BTW, I have been testing the Corally IB4200 4-cell packs since the Big Chill and I have cycled each pack 12 times. They are holding their voltage nicely and there is no issue with run-time loss or self-discharging to date. Due to shrotages with SMC and related matchers in North America, this may be an option for you if you know anyone in the market for 4-cell packs.

Keep up the great work!

Phil
Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #388
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Killerkevin

Thanks for the battery info Phil, and I know it is going to be hard to catch Dwayne. He has the 12x working really really good and was running really consistant laps on the weekend.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #389
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

Thanks for the props Kevin....the Corally 12X and T-Bang Trinity X-Stock is definately a very fast combo......hmmmm....maybe it should be called the "T-Bang Double X 12th Scale Killer" Whoa....way too many paint fumes today I guess!
Seriously though the 12X carries alot of corner speed and with the layout that Edmonton had this was crucial.....oh and of course the magic T power helped a little too
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #390
Tech Regular

Hi, Dwayne.

I agree with that motor speed. Trent tuned a fleet of X and E motors he calls the XS Type X12 and Type E12 specifically for 1/12 scale and our local club racers love them. When you find the sweet spot on the motors, they really rip and come off luke warm at best. The E is making lots of power but less torque than the X, but each motor seems to come into its own on the different tracks. At IROCC we run very tight tracks permitting laps in the low 30s so when you compare it to the number you folks were running in Edmonton, you can imagine the difference. I've played with both motors for a month on the track now and I prefer the E where there is lots of spooling to be done, and the X where you need the corner exit speed. Interestingly, where I need to gear up with the X to get the performance I need from a given starting gear ration, I actually need to do the oposite with the E.

Nice to have choices! Happy racing.

Phil