Like Tree43Likes

Ask Team Tekin

Old 04-06-2021, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi. So I set up a Tamiya TC-01 for speed running using and RS Pro Black and a 2.0T motor. I only got some light testing done before winter hit (this thing is a beast. awesome combo). Now that the weather is getting better again I'm hoping to really put it through its paces. That being said, someone had mentioned that some of the Tekin esc's are overheating when braking. I have not had a chance to test but wonder if that affects my esc and if so what can I do? I'm currently geared for 70+ for testing and have 100mph as my goal.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can someone give me a good starting point for on road TC 17.5 with the gen 4? I've tried between 35-45* timing and FDR between 4.2-5 and I just cannot seem to keep this thing cool enough. Track is fairly tight carpet and around 14 sec lap time. To be honest I may have already cooked it, temps were around 70c but the fan was taking the temp out quickly after the run. Do I need a 40mm fan? Using a 30mm at the moment.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Now seen a few comments of running a cap pack with the RX8?

Would this be of any benefit?

Old 07-04-2021, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

For a Tekin Gen3 1/10th scale esc, what size capacitor would be appropriate? (This is for a 2s Battery 1050gram 25.5 Turn Motor Formula 1 Car) I think the stock capacitor is just a single 370uF. Would I need to upgrade to something like a 1000uF unit?
Old 07-04-2021, 01:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

When will you have more ROC 412 motors in stock? 2300kv is what I am looking for (Amain).
Old 07-04-2021, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GT CRUSING View Post
For a Tekin Gen3 1/10th scale esc, what size capacitor would be appropriate? (This is for a 2s Battery 1050gram 25.5 Turn Motor Formula 1 Car) I think the stock capacitor is just a single 370uF. Would I need to upgrade to something like a 1000uF unit?
Single stock size will be fine.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

I have a older Gen2 speed control. I am trying to get it to work with a tamiya silver can motor. Everything works but it keeps giving me a 5,6,7 led high neutral width error and then the throttle craps out. All trims are center. The Dual rate is at 100.

I have a Sanwa M17 radio. This esc is in my Tamiya M08; that is why I have a silver can in it. Not sure what else do here.
I did have some success monkeying around with the neutral width setting and dual rate throttle but I can't get full throttle. I have a value of 8 for NW right now.
My receiver is ARX-482R

Is it possible to run a brushed motor of this type with this esc?

Old 08-05-2021, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

Is anyone from Tekin still here? A lot of unanswered questions...

Actually, is anyone still at Tekin? The news on the website is rarely updated, 280 software has been out for months and they're still talking it up, production and supply is slow... is the company circling the drain, or what?

Well, if anyone from Tekin is listening... is 280 it for drag racing? Will there be any more updates with drag-specific features? Everyone around here is switching to the competition and the Tekin ESCs aren't keeping up. I'd really like to keep running my RS Pro, and I think there should be more than one esc you can win a drag race with. But as it stands now, I'm a little embarrassed to be showing up at the track.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nineball View Post
Is anyone from Tekin still here? A lot of unanswered questions...

Actually, is anyone still at Tekin? The news on the website is rarely updated, 280 software has been out for months and they're still talking it up, production and supply is slow... is the company circling the drain, or what?

Well, if anyone from Tekin is listening... is 280 it for drag racing? Will there be any more updates with drag-specific features? Everyone around here is switching to the competition and the Tekin ESCs aren't keeping up. I'd really like to keep running my RS Pro, and I think there should be more than one esc you can win a drag race with. But as it stands now, I'm a little embarrassed to be showing up at the track.
Tekin guys are still very active and answers questions pretty quickly. All the fast guys locally are running RX8ís in their cars What issues are you having that you feel embarrassed to show up?

Old 08-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Team Tekin

Been having issues getting logged in lately for some reason and keeps kicking me out... We are alive and kicking, kicking so hard it is hard to keep up to be honest!

We are always listening and working on improvements. No brands put out as many software updates and improvements as we do, Period. Drag is a special kind of beast that is pushing things to the limits by definition, and we are all learning as we go at this point. Rest assured since we actually design our own products, and are passionate RC hobbiest ourselves, we are one of the best at keeping them moving forward.

Many of the fastest guys in the country run Rx8 and RSpro setups so very curious to hear what you think you are lacking and what 'competition' you think is doing it better?

No esc on the planet has lower resistance than the RSpro or Rx8 so I am assuming some kind of a setting to allow control of the power?
Old 08-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

You seem to think you're on the cutting edge... but if you just put your software side-by-side with castle and maclan, both offer more tunability and easier to understand software.

Throttle curve adjustment has been available for a while, but it's gimped by only allowing two points. Castle allows an infinite number of definable throttle points; if you want your throttle curve to look like a set of stairs, you can do it. I can't even get my RS Pro to remember the throttle curve setting. I have to program it, check it, and sometimes reprogram it again. And if I want to use both custom settings? It just forgets them both.

Launch control is a joke. The sliders are pointless. You can set launch delays well beyond any drag race time, and the only few that fall within an actual race time jump too far between settings to be useful. We need to be able to set our delay, not choose between a few arbitrary values that seem to be chosen by some programmer who has never seen an RC drag race.

Why am I getting 127% throttle on my data logs? I tried launch control and all it did was delay my spin-outs. Technically speaking, launch control works perfectly, but as soon as it lets off, no amount of throttle can keep the car under control. If I turn my transmitter EPA down to 80%, the data logs read 80%, where is my extra 27% coming from and how am I supposed to turn it off?

And why are the data logs bugged? I can get two, maybe three logs in total of about 3 minutes, the logs beyond that are all flat and have no data.

I know traction is a big component of drag racing and I'm well aware of how much it can change the way you set up your car. Or at least it should... I'm seeing all these DRKs hooking up regardless of conditions. I've personally seen a car gain 0.4s just by switching from an RS Pro to a DRK, on a cold, windy night with bad traction. I dont know if the 5-stage throttle control is the answer, but it's the one thing they have that my RS Pro doesnt, and I want it. I'm tired of my RS Pro being a twitchy, uncontrollable mess. I thought I bought a tested piece of race hardware but it just isnt living up.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:59 AM
Team Tekin

I think you misunderstand a few things...

Throttle curves are just the actual throttle amount relative the trigger position on radio. In a drag application it has no use since you slam full throttle in general. If you were sliding gently up the throttle during the entire run then it would do what you are thinking. Having it be a stair step would still be silly and a linear slide is always better and smoother.

Launch Control I think you mean Power Delay. Yes most of the resolution is under 1sec and where we expected people to need it based on current setups at the time. That is something we will be adjusting as we go now that people are spreading the power out during the entire run. In the beginning we could hardly convince anyone to use even a few tenths of power delay and it was all full power slams…

The throttle log is just the amount of signal from your radio and not actual throttle power to motor, that is PWM. That is why we have to calibrate to the radio because we never know what signal the radio is going to give us. If you want to see 100 in the throttle logs then start adjusting the Travel or EPA in your radio until you see that amount in logs, and then radio calibrate. If it is showing 127 I am guessing you have your radio set to max Travel/EPA.

Data logs can only hold about 6 min of data when set to .2sec sample rate. When set to .1sec sample rate it is only about 3min. You can turn off a few of the logs to gain more time or increase the sample rate.

We have very good settings to tune the power for different traction levels.. They can always be improved but currently you can set the launch power as low as needed and ramp the power (throttle and timing) as slow as needed to go fast in any conditions.

5 steps seems a lot more complicated to get right and tweak compared to our settings. A smooth power increase is also always going to be best for staying hooked up during the run. Brands that use a stepped approach did not do it because they think it is better, they were likely just limited in their software and what they could pull off. When you are on the edge of losing traction how can abrupt power increases possibly be a good thing….
Old 10-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys
I’m looking at swapping my hobbywing esc for a tekin esc to run 2s 21.5 brushless in my F1 car - which esc would be recommended? The RS spec? The RS? The RS pro? Would anyone have a setup for f1 large outdoor track they could let me have a copy of please?
also we race in the wet - is it possible to waterproof these esc’s easily? Do they need it? I use plastidip currently
thanks
Paul
Old 10-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mutley001 View Post
Hi guys
Iím looking at swapping my hobbywing esc for a tekin esc to run 2s 21.5 brushless in my F1 car - which esc would be recommended? The RS spec? The RS? The RS pro? Would anyone have a setup for f1 large outdoor track they could let me have a copy of please?
also we race in the wet - is it possible to waterproof these escís easily? Do they need it? I use plastidip currently
thanks
Paul
RS Pro for sure... Alexander Hagberg did a really good video about "waterproofing" electronics.