Battery issue SMH 3000's

Old 12-18-2001, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Battery issue SMH 3000's

Danny,

Mark A. recommended that I pose this question to you: I have started racing pan cars (1/10 scale) and have been running Trinity Team SMH 3000's. I recently ran into an issue with the power going away about half way through the race. Have tried different motors and Mark has helped me with gearing/rollout. Have you heard of anyone having trouble with these batteries? I'm running 5 min/stock. Would this be how a bad cell would act? Batteries are only six mo. old, raced weekly, and never overheated or abused.

Any thoughts on this? Every other racer at my track is running 2400's. Are SMH 3000's compatable with this type of racing?

Thanks for any input...
Old 12-27-2001, 11:05 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think it's one of two things or both.

It's not uncommon for the SMH's to lose 45-50 seconds of runtime but not all cells will lose the same amount.

Another thing that I have noticed is that some company's will not cycle their SMH's enough this will make the runtime look higher on the labels and the voltage lower. This isn't very good because cells don't react the same from cycle to cycle until they stabilize. So one cell could drop 10 seconds on the second cycle and the next one will only drop 4. This makes for a pack that won't be well matched and it will deteriorate faster.

So it might be one of these 2 things that happened to your pack or both.

If you have many packs you might want to have them rematched this might salvage a few cells.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

I have noticed before that you have said cycling 3000s on a machine too often can harm performance, so how do you go about cycling them 3 or 4 times, then matching them ? Do the cells basically have to "grin and bear it" for the process of matching, or is there a way to alter the discharge so it is not linear on your matchers (and cyclers) ?
Old 01-20-2002, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Sorry to chime in like this, but I just hald to tell Danny how great my SMC smh 3000 are. They are the best pack I have ever owned and will not buy any one elses batteries for as long as I am in R/C.
Keep up the great work!!!
Old 02-07-2002, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So Danny,

Are you seeing more CONSISTENT performance from 3000HV's then? It sounds like SMH's have lower IR, more punch, more attractive labels, etc. But, it also sounds like they're flaky.

Also, any suggestions on whether to run SMH's or 3000HV's in Modified Truck? I imagine I'll have runtime to spare with either cell (even with a 10x2 on a large track) and voltage shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the help, and I'm loving the 2400 SMC's I got recently!
Old 02-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fangio: Thanks for the nice comments.

SkarTisu: We have been using the RC3000HV's for the last 3-4 months with great results.

I personally feel the HV's are a bit faster than SMH's. It also seems like they hold up a bit better. We won major races with HV's in our cars so they most be as strong or stronmger than SMH's.