SMC IR measurement

Old 12-16-2001, 03:53 PM
Joe
Tech Regular

Default SMC IR measurement

Danny,

How do you relate your measurement (ohms?) to traditional IR measurement? Any conversion tables or anything?
Old 12-18-2001, 08:24 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Im not Danny but I will try to answer your question. I dont think there is a way to convert Dannys Act-IR to the R-IR. The Relative IR uses the peak charge voltage to determine the Resistance of the cell. This is why the SMH cells look very good if you go by the Relative IR number.

The Actual IR is a measurement of the actual resistance of the cell. Its not a calculation like the R-IR. I look at it this way... If you have two wires side be side and the resistance of one wire is 10 ohms and the resistance of the other is 20 ohms which one is going to flow more current? The lower of the two. The Act-IR also doesnt change with temp and humidity like the R-IR does. It is a more consistant way of measuring resistance.

Hope I am right on all this!! LOL

eric a
Old 12-19-2001, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

how can one measure the actual ir with a traditional digital voltmeter?
Old 12-27-2001, 11:10 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes Eric you are right.

3-4 years ago I tested 2 packs with the same voltage but one pack had allot more R-IR than the other. We went to a track and could do the same lap times with both packs. This made me research and push CE to come up with a better way to measure IR. They came up with the ANSI ( American National Standards Institutes) IR test.

We then started using this method which is more accurate and isn't as easily manipulated.

I did a test a few months back on a 4 cell pack. I charged it one way and took down the R-IR and A-IR numbers. I then charged another way and got the R-IR to drop 20 numbers on a 4 cell pack which should be a big difference but the A-IR was basically unchanged.