Wiki Posts
Search

Beginners question , pls help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 02:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Beginners question , pls help

Hi all.I just got into rc and i have some basic questions regarding charging/discharging batteries.i know this is a company forum but i hope this is a good place to ask..
right now im running multiple 1500nicads (soon i will get 2400's).let's say i start from a fresh , off-the shop-counter pack.I have an LRP micro-charger.i need to charge it fully before i use it right?and after a coupla minutes ...the car slows down and the pack's ALMOST dead.so do i continue to run the car until it absolutely cannot move?or should i pull it out and let cool and charge it again , BEFORE the baterry's completely dead?i know i should use a discharger but i dont have any yet.also dont have resources to build one yet.but as i see it that's te only 2 ways right?so after i charge them this cycle is repeated right?
Which is the correct way?would it be the same for 2400 nicads?i dont plan to use NiMH's yet.
BTW , based on my experience of using standard nicads for toys , the slower the charge rate the longer the battery life right?then why do we charge at such high amp rates?
Please help a newbie , thanks.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:06 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Lee,

Good questions...

Most 1500's are geared towards the beginers. because of the low cost the performance or voltage curve is a lot sharper then that of a high quality 2400 (made by Sanyo) I say Sanyo because it is possible to get "Generic" 2400's these would have a simular performance as your 1500's but with longer run time.

When you step up to a high quality pack ( made by GP or Sanyo) your car will have much more speed and torque due to the extra voltage and the discharge curve.

answers to your questions:

1) yes it is good to make sure you fully charge the pack before you use it. NI-CD's will develop a memory so it important to maximize that memmory effect by taking it through a complete charge/dishcharge. (while playing in your car)

2) That slow down is the "voltage curve" of your pack. your pack will peak high and then constantly get slower and slower. a high quality pack will have a more consistant curve. so basically the pack will have a constant speed until the pack dies. that constant speed will also be higher as well

3) your car is discharging the pack as you run it. it is best to run the car until a very slow speed. and then let the pack cool and re-use it or store it for the day. You don't want to leave a charge in your pack so if your car breaks or it starts to rain, then you will want to "discharge" the pack on a external device.

4) you can buy a cheap discharger from any LHS. I know Integy makes some good ones for not to much $$.

5) 2400's are still NI-CDs just with a higher capacity so yes follow the above with them and you should be okay.

If you get into racing thent he proceedures will change a bit but thats a different page... as long as you play you will be fine with the above.

I hope this helps. and if you have any other questions please ask away.

Korgae

SMC