Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
How is the SG Drifting Scene? >

How is the SG Drifting Scene?

How is the SG Drifting Scene?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default How is the SG Drifting Scene?

Hi,

Just want to find out how active is the drifting scene now.
From the posts in the forum it seems like a dying trend?

Just got back into RC after stopping a long time and chose to go into drifting.

Is the Autodrift series the only active competition series going on?

Someone point me in the right direction please, looking for tracks to practise and pointers from experience drifters.

TIA
Old 07-02-2013, 03:45 AM
Tech Adept

Look at the races. They get more participants than any other form of RC races.

Looks pretty active to me.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Killjoy
Look at the races. They get more participants than any other form of RC races.

Looks pretty active to me.
Thanks for replying.

Yes I've noticed the Autodrift series is pretty active, however if I don't own one of the official chassis I'm out of luck?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

From my limited research, yokomo do hv one of the best drifting chassis about. So maybe it makes sense to consider one of the listed "autodrift" models if u plan on racing.

Don't think u need a dedicated track to practice drifting. Some plastic disc in a car park should allow a drifter heaps of practice track. That is one of the plus points I think compared to touring car where to improve there isn't much of an option other than finding a racing track to practice at.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are a few comp for drifting in singapore.
one of them is Autodrift (monthly thing)another is Street Revo (sometime).
these 2 are of the more offical type of comp they are organising.
other than that some time will have comp from sch, RC communittee from house estate etc.
Currently offical to join offical comp stated above will be yokomo, enroute and MST.
Do take note that Yokomo kit will need to have a offical sticker on the chassis in order to use for their comp. This sticker thing only from Autodrift or their boss in KL Hobby Haven and the rest are their distributor etc ........
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

For your more info, this year yokomo international drift meet will be in singapore organised by autodrift.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by X10serpent
There are a few comp for drifting in singapore.
one of them is Autodrift (monthly thing)another is Street Revo (sometime).
these 2 are of the more offical type of comp they are organising.
other than that some time will have comp from sch, RC communittee from house estate etc.
Currently offical to join offical comp stated above will be yokomo, enroute and MST.
Do take note that Yokomo kit will need to have a offical sticker on the chassis in order to use for their comp. This sticker thing only from Autodrift or their boss in KL Hobby Haven and the rest are their distributor etc ........
Thanks for taking your time to reply.

From your signature, can see a Yokomo and 2 VDFs. Do your VDFs see any race action?

So only Yokomo chassis need the sticker? Enroute and MST no sticker requirements?

About the other races you mentioned, will info be posted here? Or which channel can I find out info about such races. Also is there any chassis or electronics restrictions?

YIDM held in SG will be a grand event indeed, and I assume only Yokomo chassis excluding Enroute & MST?

Also you seem like a knowledgeable & experienced drifter, mind if I ask for pointers from a noob perspective?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Maybe some background on my RC experiences.

I was into 1/10 EP touring cars mainly got a GP TG10 to play with but due to noise and high after run maintenance decided to stick with EP.

Also dabbled with M chassis and F1 but didn't try 1/12 pan cars. Only off road experience was with the Boomerang, Grasshopper and Wild Willy. Joined a few races at the Clementi off road track near Sunset Way, fun times. Envied the guys with Avante and Kyosho Ultima Mid.

Stopped RCing for what seems like an eternity ago. TA04 was just about to be launched then. All my RC stuff went into cold storage until now. Oopss reveal my age liao.

Went through my stuff and found some interesting stuff. TA02, TA03F, TG10, TF-4 Pro, AE TC3, Xpress M chassis, Tamiya Wagon RR M Chassis, some Yokomo touring car dunno what model, some vintage Futaba and Sanwa radio equipment.

Tried finding back my old RC kakis, but with no success. Decide to go lone ranger.

So after doing some research, decided to go into CS drifting. All the gear I found have difficulty in sourcing for parts, so I decided to leave them alone and build a new kit.

Decided to go with the 3racing Sakura Zero S (seems like a wrong choice now), built the kit and tried a few runs, but seems like I am missing some part of the puzzle.

From my experience with TCs, tuning is for grip and straight line speed. With the CS chassis, every concept I'm familiar with is haywire now.

Back to being a sotong noob again, have to relearn everything.

Spent quite a bit on the kit and hop-ups, now at a dilemma. Do I continue with this chassis or abandon ship and get a Yokomo, Enroute or MST?
Seeing that this chassis will probably not see any "big" race action.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Tech Rookie

If you want to check out the drift scene, go to taraoda racing at eHub, it's an indoor drift track. Try to go during the weekend..

cheers
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by titan75
Also dabbled with M chassis and F1 but didn't try 1/12 pan cars. Only off road experience was with the Boomerang, Grasshopper and Wild Willy. Joined a few races at the Clementi off road track near Sunset Way, fun times. Envied the guys with Avante and Kyosho Ultima Mid.
Not forgetting the CAT.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by IceAchilles
Not forgetting the CAT.
Oh ya, Schumacher CAT. Beautiful machine.

I wish there's something like this for drifting, all different makes and models coming together to race. Makes for some interesting chassis spotting.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by brol99
If you want to check out the drift scene, go to taraoda racing at eHub, it's an indoor drift track. Try to go during the weekend..

cheers
Taroda is a paid track? Long distance from my place, Boon Lay to Pasir Ris.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by brol99

cheers
visitor visit and view and see still need to pay?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by titan75
Maybe some background on my RC experiences.

I was into 1/10 EP touring cars mainly got a GP TG10 to play with but due to noise and high after run maintenance decided to stick with EP.

Stopped RCing for what seems like an eternity ago. TA04 was just about to be launched then. All my RC stuff went into cold storage until now. Oopss reveal my age liao.

Went through my stuff and found some interesting stuff. TA02, TA03F, TG10, TF-4 Pro, AE TC3, Xpress M chassis, Tamiya Wagon RR M Chassis, some Yokomo touring car dunno what model, some vintage Futaba and Sanwa radio equipment.

Tried finding back my old RC kakis, but with no success. Decide to go lone ranger.

So after doing some research, decided to go into CS drifting. All the gear I found have difficulty in sourcing for parts, so I decided to leave them alone and build a new kit.

Decided to go with the 3racing Sakura Zero S (seems like a wrong choice now), built the kit and tried a few runs, but seems like I am missing some part of the puzzle.

From my experience with TCs, tuning is for grip and straight line speed. With the CS chassis, every concept I'm familiar with is haywire now.

Back to being a sotong noob again, have to relearn everything.

Spent quite a bit on the kit and hop-ups, now at a dilemma. Do I continue with this chassis or abandon ship and get a Yokomo, Enroute or MST?
Seeing that this chassis will probably not see any "big" race action.

Sorry for the long post.
Your age group should be around mine too. .
let me answer your part one question. yes the tamiya kit vdf did went for comp before held by street revo.
of course they have their rules too like close body shell etc but chassis is under open race.

Yes YIDM in singapore should be a big event depending on how it is going to be arrange. I may be wrong on this info that i going to quote but is from what i heard. "there is only 50 seats for local racer" therefore you are seeing many fighting to climb in the rank and stay afloat within the 50s.

Yes currently only Yokomo kit must have the ID sticker due to PROVE OF ORIGIN purchase in the region of Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia etc. meaning all having the stock from Hobby Haven (Main Distributor) will have this sticker.

Since u self intro, I shall do the same.

I got into rc at very young age. 1 kit of mine is a grasshopper from Tamiya when i win it from a mini4 wd race.
Follow by a bearhawk kit that was given by my cousin.

From there the interest grows.
but did stop inbetween.
started working bough a SUper 10 kyosho GP.
play for a while and go into x10serpent impulse which is still at home.
Due to limited space to play in singapore I give up nitro kit.

Go back to EP and started again with Ta04SS
total i got 4 kit from this model. TA04SS/ TA04Pro/ TA04R and TA04TRF.
all gone no more with me but I do still have some spares left.

Gone into buggy with DB01 and also a re release avante.

TA03F is a good kit that they start with on drifting.

As for the gearing, you may have started like me. cause all the while in our mind is Kyosho, tamiya etc etc therefore i do not really think into 3rd parties.

Setting up is a bit similar to touring. the setting for for grip theory is the same. the alignment is almost the same.

the most important thing is on touring u set ur kit not to twit but drifting u need it to twit.

What kit u had bought that cause your dilemma?

I am thinking of going into comp but there is too many things and reason that i tell myself i am not going into it again as in singapore this thing will forever there and no way to resolve that is why i just play with friends and the key word is to have fun and more fun. that all.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

you reminded me that my signature not updated

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.