R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Singapore R/C Racers (https://www.rctech.net/forum/singapore-r-c-racers-22/)
-   -   Charger.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/singapore-r-c-racers/5953-charger.html)

bigbutstupid 06-20-2002 07:07 PM

Charger....

what do i look out for if i wanna get a second hand charger?
as i'm quite new to electric cars..
i would like to know whether a good charger is a MUST or not..
or will thoese slow charger work fine....

if i do get a good charger... then lets say i bring it to the track... then where is the source of my power?
is it those "real" car batts?

sorry for my ignorance as these questions sound weird

ijnek 06-20-2002 09:53 PM

ur questions are exactly my concern when i started out Rc with my buddy and we were both wonder abt wat u are thinking abt now.

normally at the races,power outlet will b provided for u to connect up ur charger.if u wan 2 play RC serious,then a quality charger is a must.

chargers can be divided into 2 main group depending on the power supply needed.AC and DC.
AC:
u will jus need 2 plug up to the wall power outlet,the charger will do everything and normally,the DC recetifier is built-in.

DC:
u will need a power supply 4 this depending on the charger specification.

different chargers have different functions,so u have 2 do ur research well...

one of the better charger around at this moment is the novak millienium pro which can charge both NI-MH and NI-CD and can charge,discharge and also condition the batt...

as 4 the car batts,some chargers are veri 'hungry' and need a bigger power batt 2 power them.an example is the KO BX213M.i know bcos i have it... :...(

a gd charger can also decrease ur charger time from several hours to jus 1/2 hour.so i consider it a gd buy 2 have a gd charger.

bigbutstupid 06-20-2002 10:26 PM

thanks ijneck
how much does one novak mellinium pro cost?

bigbutstupid 06-21-2002 01:35 AM

heard about the turbo 30 and turbo 35 charger
how much does one cost?
can got any site so that i can view the product????

Rose Money 06-21-2002 09:25 AM

Try to get a good charger which can charge Ni-cd and NI-MH. Of cos it's not cheap but worth buying. For ur info, someone is selling away his CDC charger. It's a good charger and it's not easy to get. Why not considering to get that charger. Hurry before someone grap it.

ijnek 06-21-2002 05:42 PM

i reckon a new novak millienium pro charger would cos abt 280.anyway,u can check out toykar or winnie 4 the best price.
as 4 the turbo 35,i believe tat's a veri xpensive charger.

if u r keen on gettinga new charger,i recommendu the novak millienium pro as it can charge,discharge and condition ur batts.but do keep in mind tat u will need a gd power supply.

for power supply,i suggest u try contacting kasey,he should b kind enough 2 test out his power supply under load for u to c the voltage and current changes.

this is his online website:
www.geocities.com/kaseylow

bigbutstupid 06-21-2002 06:17 PM

wah....
still cannot make up mind which one to buy..
curently i'm looking at:
EX1.
novak millenium pro.
CDC.

can help me decide?
or should i do more research?

ongbenghui 06-21-2002 07:53 PM

I got good experience with CDC. and I know a few folks who have good experience with them.

I believe it is also cheaper than others. I do advise you to get the DC version and get an external power supply if you need AC.

frantic 07-08-2002 09:10 AM

wat do u all tihnk about the yokomo YZ-48D DC Charger?

ijnek 07-09-2002 09:52 PM

u sent mi the PM?...
i have nvr used this charger b4,but a check on kasey's website shows tat this charger is actually pretty gd...discharge n charge ni-cd n ni-mh batts also can...but can't seem 2 find info on the input power supply needed...

kinoshita 07-10-2002 12:25 AM

input 12v dc

frantic 07-10-2002 12:33 AM

how many amps? i know 12v but how much?

kinoshita 07-10-2002 12:55 AM

A 10amps Power supply will b gd enough for this charger. I think a p.s wif 8.5amps n above will work since the YZ-48D can only charge up to 5.5a.

MosFat 07-10-2002 11:03 AM

Someone once told me to get at least a 12A PS if I have the cash.. that'll allow you to hook up another charger should you get another one in the future, and other stuff (like fans for cooling).

kinoshita 07-10-2002 11:19 AM

MosFat: I agree wif ur point.:nod: its gd to get a better PS if budget allows.