Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Who makes their own nitro fuel? >

Who makes their own nitro fuel?

Who makes their own nitro fuel?

Old 06-19-2002, 04:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Who makes their own nitro fuel?

I'm thinking of blending my own fuel for fun. I was told by a chemist that toy engine airplane and car fuels are different only in the percentage of lubricant blending and additives(nitromethane), and that nitromethane is only to increase power of the engine when its converted to nitrogen and oxygen, and its not essential. Anyone done it before, any tips to share?

I alreaedy got my methanol, now thinking what oil to get, and maybe mix with airplane fuel for the nitromethane.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Location: Indonesia sometimes, Singapore sometimes, Mars sometimes, Venus sometimes...but home is where I wanna be
Default Re: Who makes their own nitro fuel?

Originally posted by huasze
I'm thinking of blending my own fuel for fun. I was told by a chemist that toy engine airplane and car fuels are different only in the percentage of lubricant blending and additives(nitromethane), and that nitromethane is only to increase power of the engine when its converted to nitrogen and oxygen, and its not essential. Anyone done it before, any tips to share?

I alreaedy got my methanol, now thinking what oil to get, and maybe mix with airplane fuel for the nitromethane.
Get castor oil. But then again there are some additives added to "branded" fuel that we won't know. Just make sure you keep your methanol "fresh"
Old 06-19-2002, 06:05 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You can just buy castor or synthetic oils by itself from the hobby shop; a common brand is "Model Technics". A mixture of 80-85% methanol and 15-20% oil is all you need to run the engine.

Pure nitromethane is probably too dangerous to be easily available. Not sure even if its allowed to be sold retail like that in Singapore...!

However mixing fuel yourself in small quantities is unlikely to save you much $$$ vs buying ready-2-use fuel.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi huasze...well I thought of blending my own fuel as well but I duno where to get methanol. So where did you get yours? Maybe we can get together someday and try to work something out.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

nomexx:thxx i'll try castor oil, and mix with mobil 1, if i can't find model technics

wc: thx for the info, i try to source for it.

vantz: i ask my uncle to order from chemical company already. the methanol(95%) is quite cheap, about the price of petrol, which is what i'm getting. the 99% one is way too expensive. as for nitromethane, its very difficult to get, and too expensive, like over $100 for a litre, so i'll just skip it. i'll buy a cheap engine from rotor and try out the fuel see how first.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

har airplane fuel ? u tlakin abt read airplane or R/c ones? Anyway real airplane runs on Kerosene and not petrol .. sooo u can just try mixing kerosene and your methanol heheheh .. all the best !
Old 06-20-2002, 04:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

huasze: u going to use a mobil1 mixture on ur 2 stroke? maybe u shouldn't, coz I think exxonmobil don't recommend using them on 2 strokes engines.

I might hav interpreted their articles wrongly tho'.

Last edited by kinoshita; 06-20-2002 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:34 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I think he was talking about RC airplanes...! Usual airplane glow engine can run on methanol+oil as they are not very high compression and are designed to run at constant RPMs (no rev up and down all the time) for long periods.

Real planes use anything from petrol/methanol in the piston powered planes to av-gas in jets & turbines. Av-gas is purified kerosene.

Not sure about using Mobil-1... I have been using it as after-run oil for last 10+ yrs but it doesn't really mix too well with fuel. Its not designed for burning either and its quite thick/viscous (15-40W, right?), it just drips out the exhaust.

The synthetic & castor oils used to mix nitrofuel is usually a lot lighter... if you really want to use motor oil then maybe one of the newer thinner synthetics like 5-40W might be better.

Long time ago a "good chemist" would be able to get you pure first-press castor oil, but I think if you ask at Watsons today they wouldn't have a *clue* what you're asking about.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

Location: Indonesia sometimes, Singapore sometimes, Mars sometimes, Venus sometimes...but home is where I wanna be

Originally posted by kinoshita
huasze: u going to use a mobil1 mixture on ur 2 stroke? maybe u shouldn't, coz I think exxonmobil don't recommend using them on 2 strokes engines.

I might hav interpreted their articles wrongly tho'.
Mobil1 has a race formula 2T....I use it for my Zenoah G23ORC engines on my GoPeds.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys, actually I was thinking why not use mobil1 as a lubricant for our r/c cars, we can try using a thinner grade. Since its designed as an engine lub n is supposed to work under harsh conditions n extreme temps n still form a protective oil film, we can use it on all our ball bearings maybe even on our piston/sleeve.

how about it, u guys it work as an effective lubricant for r/c cars?
Old 06-20-2002, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Who makes their own nitro fuel?

Originally posted by Doggie

har airplane fuel ? u tlakin abt read airplane or R/c ones? Anyway real airplane runs on Kerosene and not petrol .. sooo u can just try mixing kerosene and your methanol heheheh .. all the best !
the airplane fuel i referring to was the nitro ones from rotor hobby meant for planes, sorry i didn't make it clear. yarr, i know kero is used in planes. think the only use of kero in our r/c engines is as after run maybe.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 2T oil as lubricant for fuel.

Well...I did try to mix 2T with methanol before but I realise they dun mix at all in one another. So other than castor, what other oil can I use? Is the Marvel 3 in 1 oil suitable? Cuz I know that oil can be used as an after-run oil.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

hi vanntz, where do you find the Marvel 3-in-1 oil?
motorcycle shop?
Old 06-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Well....that oil can be found in most hardware shops.