Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
what do you use to clean nitro cars? >

what do you use to clean nitro cars?

what do you use to clean nitro cars?

Old 06-18-2002, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default what do you use to clean nitro cars?

hi, i would like to know how you guys keep your nitro cars sparky clean? is there some sort of cleaning agent? or some special method? or some sort of cleaning putty?

hope to learn from you guys.

thanks
Old 06-19-2002, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Location: Indonesia sometimes, Singapore sometimes, Mars sometimes, Venus sometimes...but home is where I wanna be
Default Re: what do you use to clean nitro cars?

Originally posted by fuse01
hi, i would like to know how you guys keep your nitro cars sparky clean? is there some sort of cleaning agent? or some special method? or some sort of cleaning putty?

hope to learn from you guys.

thanks
If possible, invest in a compressor...a 1.5HP one will do. If not, just the trusty old paint brush and occational Tuff Stuff here and there...
Old 06-19-2002, 04:26 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Strip and rebuild after about 5-6 days of running works good! In between.....just use a compressor to blow off the excessive dirt!
Old 06-19-2002, 06:20 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

In heaven Trinity/Orion/HPI motorspray aerosol cans would be free & one could just empty one can each time to clean the whole car... and not worry about environment either. But motorspray is expensive! Try:

Buy some petroleum spirit aka Shellite or lighter fluid (NOT butane!!), also used in 'alcohol' camping stoves. This works great dissolving grease; either just brush it on and let it drip off or put it into a trigger-pump bottle and spray it on. This stuff doesn't affect electronics.

If you can't find Shellite, you can also use methylated spirits or methanol. However this usually has some water dissolved in it, so may cause rust & affect electronics.

You can use petrol & other solvents too... but these stink! Don't use diesel!!

For a real good clean:- remove all the electronics, seal up (or remove) the engine and bathe your car using hot tap water and dish detergent. Straightaway dry the car using hairdryer or blower, & oil all metal bits to prevent rust.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Location: Indonesia sometimes, Singapore sometimes, Mars sometimes, Venus sometimes...but home is where I wanna be

Originally posted by WC
In heaven Trinity/Orion/HPI motorspray aerosol cans would be free & one could just empty one can each time to clean the whole car... and not worry about environment either. But motorspray is expensive! Try:

Buy some petroleum spirit aka Shellite or lighter fluid (NOT butane!!), also used in 'alcohol' camping stoves. This works great dissolving grease; either just brush it on and let it drip off or put it into a trigger-pump bottle and spray it on. This stuff doesn't affect electronics.

If you can't find Shellite, you can also use methylated spirits or methanol. However this usually has some water dissolved in it, so may cause rust & affect electronics.

You can use petrol & other solvents too... but these stink! Don't use diesel!!

For a real good clean:- remove all the electronics, seal up (or remove) the engine and bathe your car using hot tap water and dish detergent. Straightaway dry the car using hairdryer or blower, & oil all metal bits to prevent rust.
Solvent and plastic parts do not mix well, it will make plastic parts brittle in the long run.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

... there's a cleaning fluid "Simple Green" that's pretty popular in the US, for cleaning engines (NOT the internals of the engine tho'). but difficult to find this in singapore.

otherwise ... do as what WC just said, after washing your car with detergent and water, make sure it's drink then spray liberally with WD40 to prevent rust but don't spray directly at the bearings.

you can also use cleaning putty .. serpent makes their own .. so does tamiya. i'm still trying to get use to this method tho' ..
Old 06-19-2002, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used denatured alcohol and an air compressor. the alcohol is fine and many people in the US have used it without probems.

denatured alcohol is almost 100% alcohol without water thus will not rust bearings etc. alternativelyyou can use IPA which is used for cleaning PCB components. I'm sure if it is safe for ICs it sure is safe for a RC car. probably dipping the whole car with electronics in IPA will be fine. since electrical components are cleaned this way.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Use water will do...

Last edited by Eric Cheng; 06-25-2002 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

well shell? its danergous to keep petrol at home.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Substitute for "smple Green" can be Kao Magic Clean you see in stores. I believe they are largely the same. but be careful as it is slightly caustic and it bites. Use gloves if you have to contact it often.

Also you can use a cleaner called Orange ....

not too sure where to get though.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

hmm... Kao magic clean, try dilluting it before using tats what we do when cleaning resin model kits. easier on hands n plastics.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Default i've seen Simple Green...

... If i remember right, it was in some TV Innovations (or is it the other similar company which promotes the infamous slim10? ) shop in Bugis Junction...

... maybe one day will go down and get it..
Old 06-20-2002, 04:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've seen simple green @ some hardware/diy shops b4, just couldn't remember where.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:48 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Exclamation

Uhoh... beware Eric Cheng around your RC car with Shell V-Power...! Especially when he's holding matches and doing a victory dance!!! Memories run deep, Mr Cheng.

Some solvents like thinners, petrol, acetone etc and even some brands of motorspray will attack plastics, especially the ABS plastics on Tamiyas.

However lighterfluid/Shellite and the Orion/HPI/Trinity sprays are quite safe for these plastics from personal experience. Have used them all on everything from Hotshot to TA04 with no problems.

Better still, nitro cars' plastics are usually made of nylon. These are even tougher against solvents otherwise the messy oil & fuel's methanol would have long destroyed them already.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

WC, dont worry i wont use shell petrol to clean anything.

Mr cheng if you do use shell to clean your RC cars, then please be careful when you start your engine, sometimes spark from the glowplug charger can make your RC car into a RC bomb!!!.

Please re-edit or delete your message so asnot to mis lead young RC members of this forums thinking to use their dads car petrol to clean their RC CARS.

Now back to the topic, i have seen simple green before but i think they have stop this product for a long time.

Thank you all for the given advise but i'm interested in the KAo liquid... can you please tell me whats the main purpose it was use for? floor cleaning? or dish washer? sorry i'm not a NTUC man. hehhe

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service