Questions abt motor

Old 06-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Questions abt motor

I had been running with tamiya type T motor for quite sometimes and find that the motor does not perform as it was brand new. Any1 know how to resurrect it? Changing brushes? Cleaning comm? Change spring?
Old 06-08-2002, 11:02 AM
GTO
Tech Adept

imho:
For a stock motor, not much u can do more than u said already.
Type T is not rebuildable anyway. Get a new one, I suppose.
If it did overheat b4, most probably the magnet will lose power.
Sorry, not much of a help.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks GTO for ur reply i think i gonna look for a cheaper motor to pratice. Haha..... gonna buy more type t motor for race then
Old 06-09-2002, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

I have 2 type t, one for bashing, setup, practise etc. Another kept purely for the heats and mains. I have the tamiya cleaning brushes to keep the comm shiny, you can also try the Team orion comm sticks or the Trinity sticks.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thx alvin, my friend got the team orion comm stick and i had personally try that stuff......it is really great, my comm became very shining and it should be recommended to other ppl here as well. As for the tamiya is a bit troublesome as u need to remove the whole motor to install the cleaning brush. Btw did u encounter a situation while u r running with a stock motor suddenly the car slow down (like battery weak) and when u kept squeezing the trottle it just won't go. I m very sure that the battery is not empty. When i change to a new same motor and the problem is slove. Hours later, i use the old stock motor again and it become ok again leh.....so funny as the motor was not very hot and no burning smell at all. Hope someone can help me and still got a lot to learn from the experts here
Old 06-09-2002, 08:02 PM
GTO
Tech Adept

What ESC are you using?
Did you check the ESC the moment you get no response fr the motor? Some ESC equipped with Over Temp protection. It kicks in whenever certain temperature is reached. Surely after a few mins when it cools down u are able to use your motor again.
Also you might want to review your gearing (amongst all other things)based on track size and surface. Bumpy tracks without proper settings can give you a handfull of problems (burning comms-ESC overload-batt drain-etc-etc).
Old 06-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cool Regarding alucard's stock motor experience

...Btw did u encounter a situation while u r running with a stock motor suddenly the car slow down (like battery weak) and when u kept squeezing the trottle it just won't go. I m very sure that the battery is not empty. When i change to a new same motor and the problem is slove...
This could be the result of either:

1. The motor brushes are worned out. You will need to true the comm and change the brushes. Kasey provides this service for a small fee.

2. The comm has too much carbon deposits. You will need to clean or true the comm. It will be a good practice to change the brushes too, even if they are not worned.

3. The magnets lost its strenght - this is usually unlikely, but possible.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Talking about over gearing, yesterday at the race I pitted right at the start of the long straight. Saw at least 1 case of a car whizzing by spouting white smoke and many many cases of "burnt motor smell"... overgeared probably.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

i am using keyence zero ve on my TA04R at gear ratio 6.56. When my car stop the esc still functioning the servo can turn but the motor won't
About yesterday race i saw one guy battery burn giving a lot of smoke and the side of the his 04 chasis melted a bit.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

Did you try to spray out your motor with some cleaning spray and try it again? Gearing seems ok, I was running 120/40 on my 04. MC800C esc. What about binding? Is the drive train free? One of my universals is bent but doesn't seem to affect performance.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

My motor is fine after few hours of rest but luckily got spare. I will normally spray before and after race using the most common "OWS" spray Drive train no obstructions. Maybe is telling me to change motor...haha
Old 06-10-2002, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hi, i have no experience in racing, and i'm just a recreational player. i'd like to ask how long motors take to wear out. i'm referring to those with a short can used for racing. for example, i have a gm racing 12x3 motor. can it be used for many years without opening the thing up? i know there will be some wear and tear for everything so perhaps it will slow down? my stock tamiya 540 motors have been working for over a decade already.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

Motor Problem ?

One of the most common is ...... brush wire got hooked at the brush hood and the brush cannot make contact with the comm. Re-adjust the "mesh wire" with tweezer, make sure the wire makes a nice loop so that with the brush gets a little shorter, it won't get the "HANG". Got it?
Old 06-11-2002, 06:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Regarding alucard's stock motor experience

Well, I don't see many people owns a stock motor lathe....

Originally posted by phlim

This could be the result of either:

1. The motor brushes are worned out. You will need to true the comm and change the brushes. Kasey provides this service for a small fee.

Old 06-11-2002, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

At least 2 LHS can do it:
RC Speedway
Speedline

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.