Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yishun permanent Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cool kkyeo & bhleric: PA Track

Marine Parade RCMC membership is $80 per year and for the first year there is a $40 club entrance fee. The charges are a requirement from the PA & Marine Parade CC.

Old 05-10-2002, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks phlim for the info.
I've seen too many superb tracks in magazines....that i really wonder why singapore only has one proper track. And built so remotely.....
Maybe next time when i own a 1:1 car to get me to the PA track....i will sign up
Old 05-10-2002, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by kkyeo
Thanks phlim for the info.
I've seen too many superb tracks in magazines....that i really wonder why singapore only has one proper track. And built so remotely.....
Maybe next time when i own a 1:1 car to get me to the PA track....i will sign up
Heard that the PA track is going to be rebuilt...is it true?
Old 05-10-2002, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

I rather the PA track to be relocated!! Even better....open to public...F.O.C..
Old 05-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks phlim.

never heard that at all. not for pa track lah. i think they are refering to the yishun track. 'Somebody' proposed to impove on the existing track/.

think it would nice to rebuild the track. may be can consult us how to construct the curb.

Last edited by bhleric; 05-10-2002 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Hey, I think that the track is really good for playing Micros ( 1:18 ).. Looking forward to playing my car there man.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:20 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by kkyeo
And built so remotely.....
Some ppl don't like living next to RC car track, especially with nitro cars. Crazy but true!!
Old 05-12-2002, 06:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Hello everyone, how are you doing today ?

kkyeo: I do agree with the fact that it is a little off the main roads, by Singapore standards. For it to be relocated, we need a piece of land about the size of a football field, assuming that some Santa gave us the land, then we need about SGD $200,000 to build the track. Well at least that is what it costs us 5 years ago.

As for the membership cost, it is in the opinion of the PA officials that M.P. RCMC is charging too low. So, F.O.C. would be quite out of the question. At the current rate we are going, there is no way to have a sinking fund to ensure that the track could be rebuilt. Being 5 years old, I am sure you would agree that there is a need for it soon.

ART2: Mr. Sunny Hee, the Marine Parade RCMC Track Manager is making suitable modifications to join up a couple of areas on the track, so that a modified driving pattern could accommodate the 1/10 ISTC cars.

WC: You are right on the point were "Some ppl", but you have grossly underestimated it. The fact is MOST ppl don't like living next to a RC car track.

Just to share some experience on this issue. We once had a Marine Parade RC Track, beside the McDonalds at the East Coast Recreation Centre. By today's standards, that track would only be suited to 1/10 scales. During the 1987s that was a 1/8 Gas IC track. Separating the track and the housing board flats is the East Coast Highway. Residents opposite the track complain about the noise we made. So the authorities did a test to ascertain the noise level. Fortunately for us, it was found that the noise coming from the highway was way above whatever noise our RC cars drums up. So we were allowed to carry on.

What happen to that track ? Well, the members kill it. The track belongs to the East Coast Recreation Centre, not directly under the Marine Parade RCMC. They charge $10 per person per day. In the late 80s and early 90s, prices were not much different from today, so you typically need about 2k for your 1/8, $50 for a gallon of fuel, $70 for a set of tires. But everyone don't want to pay the $10. When the security guard comes by, everyone simply stop playing and when approached, tells off the guard that they are not using the track, so they don't pay. The moment the guard walks off, everyone starts up their engines. So, after about 5 years of a cat and mouse chase betwen the East Coast Recreation officials and the RC'ers, they stop. We all thought they have given up and we played F.O.C. for almost a year. Then reality sets in, the East Coast Recreation Centre could not balance their books on the required maintenance of the track, so they lease the land out to a new operator, this new operator built an amusement Viking ship on the track. That was the end of the track. After the Viking craze fizzles off, it was turn into a roller skate park and the other day when I drop by to soak in some fond memories, found that they are resurfacing it to support open air dining that seem to have popped up all around.

I'm sure the first half the above boring story sounds familiar to you and it is like history repeating itself on the current track.

I surely hope the second half of the above won't work out the same at the present track.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Wah..PHLIM, that '...a long time ago...' story really brings good (and bad) memories back heh!! I remember once that the grass was so long at that track that all we could see were our antennas along the back straight....

Anyway, lets hope that we rc'ers would not let the PA campsite track become history as well. Its actually quite nice, but is still very underutilized. RCMC must have more races there to convince ppl that all scales of cars can be run there instead of just gas powered stuff. We could all go to foams for 1/10 gas and electric to reduce the cost of running and use the 'short' version of the track to run F1, TC, 1/12 pan etc. That would give the circuit better exposure and also attract members to get $$ for more improvements.

Now, even 1/8 and 1/10 buggy lovers have no place to run since Toa Payoh has closed down....for the very same reasons as the old 'Mcdonalds' track.

How sad. We spend thousands of dollars on our cars and we have to run them on sad makeshift tracks coz of the same old problems:

1. Ppl do not want to pay for membership (why? see 2,3).
2. 'Membership' does not really have any perks other than marginally lower race entry fees and no need to hide from secutiry guard.
3. Not really enuf events to encourage membership, eg, special timed practice days, car clinics etc.

so,

4. No members = Less $$ to maintain proper track.
5. Poorly maintained track = even less incentive for ppl to become members.
6. Track closes down to make way for money making KopiTiam....(always the case!)
6. *sigh*, back to the Multi-storey carpark and grass field again!

Old 05-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone know the person in charge of the re-building the Yishun track?? Maybe can suggest to them to remove the kerbs and put wooden planks like most of the tracks in Singapore, best if can follow the PA campsite cos that is a pro track......too bad it need membership to go in, else will be very fun to play in PA campsite...?
Old 05-14-2002, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

Your story reminds me at those time. That times I only afford to watch them play. I only started playing in late 1990 and it was my 1st 1/10 electric buggy which I played at Kebun Baru CC but does't last long as the track became damage due to no maintainance. In 1995 I started to play 1/10 electric touring car and 1/10 pan car at Marine Parade CC. That track also does't last long. In 1999, I get to now there is a track at Sembawang Shopping Centre and started to play there. Again that track also doesn't last long. After that play at CCK( make shift track). Stop playing there as it is quite troublesome to fix and dismantle when we want to play and sometimes turnout very small. Shift to Yishun permanent track. Wah lau, that track is killing me. I call it hell track. Now playing at MS and Yuan Ching. Hope this track will last long. Still hoping there will be a good 1/10 permanent track to race. But of cos must have fascilities e.g near coffee shop, toilet, bus stop, MRT, etc. Not like PA camp.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Although I did not like or wanted to pay for membership or pay for per day usage.
I think membership is a good idea. Most people may think that its not worth paying the $120 and $80 for the subsequence yrs.
Just imaging the track os FOC.
There would have many players going to the PA track. Right?
May I ask you people here, what did you encountered when playing at a FOC track like the sembawang?
There will be inconsiderate people who will switched on the radio without checking frequency and the "Result" Might cost even MORE than a $120 or $80. I believe many had experienced a run away car.
At a FOC track, sometimes, there are people who is also using the same frequency with you. And what do you do? Wait right?

I would rather pay the $120 or $80 to avoid any inconvenieces.
Just like the ERP system.
BUT!! the place is inconveniece to play. So far. Or else I will apply for the membership.
Any comments?
Old 05-14-2002, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Why dun HDB do us a favour....build estates with RC tracks in it.....just for RC freaks like us who would be willing to sell our soul to live and play there.....haha....great idea....but silly joke.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

for PA track, it would be nice to have lighting at night, so that most of racers can race after working hour. feel like joining pa as member. or anyone can help on the lighting matter? is there anyway we can feedback to the authority concern. can this thing be done?

remember at ms, 2 'small' spot lights (just enough to illu the track)

Last edited by bhleric; 05-14-2002 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Location: Indonesia sometimes, Singapore sometimes, Mars sometimes, Venus sometimes...but home is where I wanna be
Talking

We used to race Super10s in the permanent Yishun Track (I have some race photos I took back in 2000 in my website). Yes its a killer track, but that's how I like it and how I like my women...tight, small & rough

I think the track was built with Super10 in mind, back in the year 2000, 1/10 aren't that popular yet. We used to call that track Monaco.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.