Wiki Posts
Search

T-Maxx anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default T-Maxx anyone?

was just at Rotor and saw a couple of 'em lying around.... even took the display one and press-press a bit.. was suitably impressed (so sue me, i'm quite sua-ku as i've never really touched this 'legendary' RC car before!!)

So what're ppl's opinions of it? Money pit? Best thing since sliced bread? Monster Pirate fodder? Any T-owers out there wanna give some comments?
Old 04-22-2002, 05:22 AM

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default :)

Hi there,

I don't run a T-maxx but I do have an E-maxx. The suspension of this truck is amazing and if you want to tackle jumps it's one of the best currently available.

For the Emaxx, I found that the truck performs very well, but the driveline parts wore out quickly and needed stronger replacements. These are, of course, hard to find in Singapore.

The Maxx trucks also have a tendency to flip, the pro-line suspension will fix this but it's quite costly.

One thing though, you may have to wait some time to get replacement parts... if not on the rack you'll have to order them... and Rotor can take a while.

Hope that helps.

You may want to wait for the Tamiya Terra Crusher.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Default Re Tmaxx

Thnx Bloodclod... i've seen the your emaxx on your site.

Thats what i felt too. The suspension on the maxx looks quite impressive and unique. Also, the aftermarket stuff for the truck is just incredible!

I dun think i'll be getting a terracrusher anytime soon tho'.... i dunno about most ppl, but personally i think taising sux a** and tamiya, while making neato kits, really fails on making their cars survivable when jumped off cliffs.. 8) ... i own a TXT and so far the durability has not been impressive.

So far the centre tranny has warped on me.. stripping the gears... the front axle housing has also warped, but now its held together by BS skids.. the universals are also just a sliver of metal away from snapping. And all this with just 10.8v and 17 turns!! To top it all off, taising took over 3 weeks to get my centre gears and gearbox, whilst the some other replacements i subsequently ordered took nearly 5 weeks... sole distributor my a**.. only interested in making money from TC races and mini 4WD.. can't blame'em for having business cow sense though.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Tamiya distributor. The truth is that monster trucks are not huge in Singapore and parts are hard to get anywhere.

I do wish that they would stock more parts though...

As for the TXT-1... it is quite a durable truck... what have you been doing with yours? <grin> I know wear on the universals are a common problem but that's pretty normal for universal joints on a truck like that.

I can't imagine how you smoked the centre tranny and warped the axle though. You must be bashing your trucks really hard (which is always good!).

But if you are bashing your truck so hard, trust me... the Maxx won't hold up much better without modding out most of the truck. You will need CVDs, stronger arms and definitely a titanium skidplate (don't get the aluminum ones).

If you ever wanna let go your TXT let me know. lol!
Old 04-22-2002, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Well, the TxT has become almost a show truck of late. Can't deny that its still an amazing machine.. very nice to look at to boot. As far as 'scale' MTs go, tamiya hit the nail with this one...

If i poured more dough into it (emaxx transmission, aluminium axle braces, and a small fortune on better batts).. it'd probably be more consistent. I wasn't exactly that rough with it.. (unlike my newly acquired MP.. which has been doing countless cartwheels and horrendous vertical ass-first or nose-first impacts)

And MTs and trucks in general are definately not popular around here... sadly... .. But if I ever get tired of looking at my TXT (or if i suddenly desire another nitro), at least i'll know one real MT fan who might be interested!
Old 04-22-2002, 11:12 PM

The TXT is certainly the BEST production solid-axle MT out there.

Many racers used to independent suspension setups may find solid-axles a little different and may not like it. But as far as MTs go, I just love solid-axles.

In fact, I'm currently selling my heavily modded USA-1 for another modified Tamiya truck.

I've not had any problems with the TXT tranny other than the differential case screws loosening.

I do wish MTs were more popular here... basically that might increase parts support.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Default lack of truck interest...

I hear that about the solid-axle handling. The truck just doesn't handle like any other variety of off-road RC. It doesn't powerslide easily, doesn't wipe out, and there's isn't much countersteering.. which i find the most enjoyable part of offroad driving, actually.

Does your truck do wild stuff with wheelies and the left front wheel lifting off at accelaration? First run on 10.8 volts, i tried turning at near full speed and the truck happily proceeded to skid on my brand new proline suburban shell for almost 2-3 metres...

Finding mods and replacements for MTs are kind of a pain. It was one of the main reasons why i bought an Ofna for my second truck.. its got great support with Winnie. Now I can calmly proceed to rip my diffs, snap the arms and generally run it to death.. joy!
Old 04-23-2002, 02:49 AM

Default MTs

Yup! The front left wheel lifting is characteristic of the TXT tranny. It doesn't happen with the Clod or USA-1 though... which is probably why they will make better racers.

I've reduced the effect by relocating my batteries to a much lower position though. I don't run 10.8V but dual 8.4 volt batts and 14x2 motors... it's still quite speedy.

I made a custom wheelie "wheel" from a M03 spare wheel to control any wheelies and it's very helpful. lol!

If you run MTs in Singapore you basically have to be very patient. I can wait months for parts to arrive... that's one reason I have different trucks so I can rotate my "interests" if necessary <grin>. I also stock up on stuff like 4" shocks, motors, covers because these are hard to find in Singapore.

How do you find the Ofna MP? I'm interested in a nitro but I'm not a nitro guy... is it easy for beginners?

Old 04-23-2002, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Default A most 'mod'able truck...

Yr custom TXT wheelie is pretty neat.. might try my two left thumbs at making one too. Hopefully no serious injuries..

I don't have many RCs, but amongst all of them the TXT is the one i keep wanting to do little mods and customisations on.. its just that funky ladder chassis that somehow sets your mind wandering.. heh heh...

As for the MP, those big clown tires, while hilarious for a few runs, are just begging to be replaced. But aside from needing the smaller MT3 rims and tyres, and certainly a new shell (the stock one is something no truck lover could stomach).. it can be run pretty much stock and still be mighty impressive.

The .21 Hyper it comes with has power coming out its a**, especially for a nitro newbie like me (and i venture to say for you too). Perhaps some more experienced guys might want a modified big block, but the hyper is relatively easy to break in and tune.. very tolerant to mistakes and clumsy needle settings. (ie good beginner stuff). Basically, once you get the engine settled, the rest is very much like any other RC... (err.. except loctite everything!!)

The aftermarket for the MP, while not comparable to the Maxxes, is also quite good. If you got cash to spare, there's aluminium diff cases, all CNC aluminium bits and pieces, metal rims, titanium plates all round.. *whew*...
Old 04-23-2002, 06:42 AM

Customizing and modding the trucks in innovative ways is what makes Monster Trucks so cool.

Thanks for your input on the MP... I am certainly interested and will take a good look the next time I'm down at Winnie's. For a complete newbie to nitro like me, I'm gonna need all the help I can get though (if I do get it).

Any durability issues?

And where aftermarket is concerned... are they available via Winnie?

BTW, I'm enjoying this little MT chat here. lol!
Old 04-23-2002, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Default MT Chat.. heh

Winnie's part support is great... she's not exactly a carrefour for Ofna parts, but its pretty extensive. And if she doesn't have it, she'll probably bring in what you need anyway... Plus, MPs and Hyper 7s are probably two of her main kits, so she'll definately bring stuff in for quite a while. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, Winnies's only got aftermarket stuff from Ofna (lots of blue anodised bits)....

If you need nitro help, i'm sure me or my brother pitch in. He's a lot more mechanically inclined... me? i just like seeing my toys cheat certain death...
Either way, most ppl @ the tracks (like TP) are always quite accommodating and helpful.

Durability? From the RCMT forums, i gather that the diff casings and the front steering knuckles are the first few things to go. What happens with the diff housings is that they warp, and the gears inside go all loony and self-destruct. With the knuckles, they just snap. *Touch wood* none of these have cropped up with my truck.. and i run pretty hard (1 bent rear shock tower, 1 dislodged strut bar, and 4 bent dog bones .. and counting). But these are mostly the result of really bad landings and basically suicidal driving... i would classify a 'durability issue' as something that breaks up even with normal running and tame jumps.

Basically, i bought the MP based on the fun i was already having with the Hyper 7 buggy.... I do like the smell of nitro in the morning..

Old 04-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Suspended

Till now t-maxx is the most durable and next is the Ofna truck.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

Default tough call.

i wouldn't state it with so much certainty... its a tough call. You're comparing something that has to withstand the power and the forces of impact put out by a .21 engine (albeit not a particularly powerful one) versus those produced by a .15. I've personally never seen a .21 maxx before, but i gather it takes quite a few mods on the drive train and rest of the truck before it can withstand a bigger powerplant.

Also, the ofna is of a completely different scale (1/8 buggy made into 1/8 truck).... the weight of the cars and the dimensions are all different. Whilst they do race 'em side by side in the US, i still think maxx vs MP is a bit like apples and oranges...

Btw, i'd have to say you have the most distasteful handle in this whole board... no offense.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:36 AM

Default I'm with Pineapplet

I also would have to disagree with you on the durability issue. My experience with Maxx trucks haven't really proven their durability to me. They do have excellent suspension and are good trucks, but to say they are the most durable without qualification... hmm.... I don't agree.

Traxxas sliders have the tendency to twist and break after use... especially if you talk about .21 power.

No offence also, but I think I'd agree with pineapplet that your statement is too sweeping.