Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Conversion of hpi r40pro to electric >

Conversion of hpi r40pro to electric

Conversion of hpi r40pro to electric

Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Conversion of hpi r40pro to electric

I wonder if anyone has tried this before. Or is there a kit out there that allows it. I'm sick of nitro. Don't wanna have to use degreaser to wash my hands after I play with my car. Not to mention the environmentally unfriendly nature of a nitro car.

Basically, the idea is to have a motor mount that will hold a 550 sized motor can in place. And also to convert the output shaft to adapt to the engine pinion. Failing which, the next thing to change is the entire 2 speed gear setup to a one speed setup. It doesn't seem that there is a proper pitch size for electric motor in the gear box though.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peekarwe View Post
I wonder if anyone has tried this before. Or is there a kit out there that allows it. I'm sick of nitro. Don't wanna have to use degreaser to wash my hands after I play with my car. Not to mention the environmentally unfriendly nature of a nitro car.

Basically, the idea is to have a motor mount that will hold a 550 sized motor can in place. And also to convert the output shaft to adapt to the engine pinion. Failing which, the next thing to change is the entire 2 speed gear setup to a one speed setup. It doesn't seem that there is a proper pitch size for electric motor in the gear box though.

We do 1/8 Ep off road conversion. On road conversion u need to machine out a motor mount n as for the 2 speed I m not sure.

Go to Rc-monster.com n search for guys who do on road. I know someone did it before, u will need 4s or 3s Lipo n a 1/8 esc n 1/8 motor to power it.

Hope this helps
Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Hey thanks! I thought no luck cos ve been searching for a while. I started on doing it myself already and the only piece missing now IS the motor mount. Haha. Thanks for your reference I'm gonna take a look.

Was gonna take a 3d drawing to get someone to machine it out for me. I'm thinking also 2-3s on a 540 size motor cos the space is really tight. Also, for 1/8 electronics with a bigger motor, I did consider but will most likely over power the car. And there will be no space for a 4s battery for sure. Will toy around and see if a xerun series can go in with the battery. The shape will be weird though. Not many options to mount the battery unless it's on the top deck.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Hey thanks! I thought no luck cos ve been searching for a while. I started on doing it myself already and the only piece missing now IS the motor mount. Haha. Thanks for your reference I'm gonna take a look.

Was gonna take a 3d drawing to get someone to machine it out for me. I'm thinking also 2-3s on a 540 size motor cos the space is really tight. Also, for 1/8 electronics with a bigger motor, I did consider but will most likely over power the car. And there will be no space for a 4s battery for sure. Will toy around and see if a xerun series can go in with the battery. The shape will be weird though. Not many options to mount the battery unless it's on the top deck.
try xerun 120 with high kv motor n run 3s. Customising a motor mount won't be cheap unless u Cnc urself.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

One piece, yes, I expect it to be expensive. But I want it fast and readily available if I can choose. If there is someone I can work with, walk down to that guy, bring my chassis and work out the dimensions on the spot and correct on the spot, I will be happy to pay for it no problem. Do you know anyone who can do that?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Lord

Try posting for cnc on rctech I think there are ppl doing custom job here.

If not then industrial park.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

I made one myself by piecing together existing parts.

Weak mounting. On load sometimes the gear mesh will separate. Will sort that out with a solid billet block carved out for that motor. I decided against using 1/8 electronics cos will probably be pretty unplayable. The sensored top speed on that car using 3s running a 3200kv motor already exceeding 130km/h. :P
Old 06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Lord

I made one myself by piecing together existing parts.

Weak mounting. On load sometimes the gear mesh will separate. Will sort that out with a solid billet block carved out for that motor. I decided against using 1/8 electronics cos will probably be pretty unplayable. The sensored top speed on that car using 3s running a 3200kv motor already exceeding 130km/h. :P
The mount need to be solid cnc from aircraft metal. There's alot of stress on the mount n it needs to be accurate.