matched cells in sg?

Old 03-10-2002, 04:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default matched cells in sg?

To all the RC old birds here, i hope u guys can help me to my problems. i had been using normal batteries for quite some time and i find that it is time i should try some matched cells. where can i get cheap matched cells in Singapore? Cost? is it really worth buying matched cells as i know it is quite expensive. thanks everyone in advance.
i m not a expert pls guide me along.

Last edited by alucard; 03-10-2002 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:41 PM
AO
Tech Addict

Q one.

Presently in singapore, the type of battery being used are Stovk metal hydride and sanyo high volt.

So how much are you will to spent.

They are cheap SMH like 80 to a 170 dallors

They are also High v from 75 to 170

Do tell you the truth, the more you spend the battery you will have.

But then you will need a good charger for all these battery. Than you will anyother problem.

Old 03-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

i m currently using a Duratrax intellipeak charger which i brought quite some time ago. Will this charger able 2 manage those cells?
Old 03-10-2002, 11:41 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

There is a difference between "matched" cells and HV NiMHs...

1) Basically "Matched" means each battery is tested and you build a pack of 6 with the closest specs you can get (specs usually printed on each battery sticker). This is so that all 6 cells will discharge equally and all dump at the same time.

You can match any type of cell -- just go buy them in 1000s and test each one on your computer tester. Then pick out the ones with similar specs and build a pack.

btw "Matched" doesn't mean they're necessarily "best" cells from that batch. Even the lowest mAh lot of 6 can be called "matched" if they've been tested and are pretty equal.

2) High Voltage 3000HVs and Stock NiMHs are the "latest" lot of cells... that's why they are expensive. Watch out for the 3300s soon... In the good old days, some companies would 'zapp' cells for higher voltage. We're talking improvement of 0.02-0.10V per cell only anyhow.

If using NiMH, check that your charger can _specifically_ handle Hydrides. Some older chargers cannot and could overcharge them. If your charger doesn't say it can do NiMH, then it probably can't.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the comments but what battery whould u all recommend?
Old 03-11-2002, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

The way to go nowadays seems to be the Sanyo 3000HVs, please don't mistake them for the Panasonic SMH's or original Sanyo 3ks.

PM "GKC" he seems to be selling some matched ones. I think these are the "Team SRD" cells I see my pals running. Me, I run GP cells, not bad, but lack the punch of nicads. They are simply consistent and have tons of runtime, perfect for me!

BTW, before buying matched packs, I would advice buying a good charger first. I have ruined a hundred odd bucks matched pack. My first. It has since been relegated to powering my fan! For the price of a matched pack, I could have bought more lower end batteries for running instead of a super pack, which probably should be kept for racing and not day to day use.

So if you are gearing up to race, invest in a topof the line charger, then go fo rthe top of the line batts.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Alvin

Last edited by Alvin; 03-11-2002 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:43 PM
GKC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone mentioned my name

Yes I do have for now Sanyo 3000HV matched packs for sale.

SMS me at 97499655 or PM me for more details.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I would suggest sticking to the SMC bats.. The HV seem to lack alot of punch especially about 2min down..

Rob
Old 03-11-2002, 06:18 PM
AO
Tech Addict

Not very truth, when i try the SMH and HV i feel that HV has more punch but not constant. And Smh has less punch but more constant