radio woes..help! :(

Old 03-07-2002, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default radio woes..help! :(

ok, here's the radio setup on my nitro buggy:

blazer, cheapo blue Rx which comes with blazer, futabaS3003 servo for throttle, and a sanwa ERG-VB for steering..

my problem: throttle servo glitches like mad... have swapped Rx (with another cheapo blue one... i have lots), have swapped transmitter, have swapped futaba out with blazer's brand new servos..have swapped crytals... no effect...

The only time *any* throttle servo i connect doesn't glitch is when the ERG-VB is *not* connected...

Is it my imagine or is the ERG the real problem here? do i need an FM setup? Or just something better than the blue sanwa box?

HELP! Don't really wanna blow anymore cash. bordering on buying a hitec lynx 3d!!!
Old 03-07-2002, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Could it be possible the sanwa servo does not have enough power? How many batteries are you using for your receiver pack?

Disclaimer: Not a nitro driver
Old 03-07-2002, 07:14 AM
AO
Tech Addict

Cool

1/8 buggy

is one of the fastest and powerful cars. the throttle and steering must be at least a high torque servor. If not it will no take the impact. So you may want to upgrade.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Default hmm...

using a 6v 750maH nicd pack.. fully charged.. or at least my peak charger tells me so.. its never charged a Rx pack b4....

anyway, the sanwa is having no probs... spins super fast and powerful, glitch free... its the weaker futaba on the throttle thats going nuts..

as for getting another hi-power servo... err.. not at the moment for throttle... just for the steering for now. (and would it really stop the glitching if *both* my servos sucked big power??)
Old 03-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default glitches

... nitro cars have a lot of metal rattling around that can cause glitch. If your cars uses woven carbon graphite parts, it can be a source of glitch too - so insulate your electronics well ... AM radio is very susceptible to radio noise, so if you can - go FM. Borrow one first and see if it would go away ...
Old 03-07-2002, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Default just weird...

actually my bro had the same prob (throttle twitching, ERG rock steady, using blue sanwa box)...

he switched the whole thing to an FM setup with his M8, using the same servos, and it was ok.

my question is, do i really need to switch to an FM setup? can't i just get a better quality AM Rx? Its strange that if its the radio problem, only the cheapo throttle servos i've tried are going bad, not my ERG, which works fine in any condition.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

... does your ERG get the same problem if plugged into the throttle? if it does then its the receiver's throttle channel. when does this glitching problem happens? on the track? or at home on your work table?
Old 03-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Default hmm..

when i switch the ERG to throttle it does make a little noise, but the movement is very very tiny compared to the full-out swinging that the other servos do.

and when i pull out the ERG and just leave one throttle servo, there's no glitching.... so it must be a combo of the ERG with the other eqpt...

i've also switched the Rx (different one, but same make)... i dun have other types of Rx to test with so i suspect it might be the Rx which is just not up to scratch. All the power must be going to Ch1 for steering the ERG, and the remaing juice is not powering the throttle properly hence the twitching..
Old 03-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default Table Lamp?

... i'm assuming you're doing all these component switching at home? a flourescent table lamp ( if your using one ) can be a source of radio interference like the one you are having ... try taking your car away from the lamp. FM is more stable against these sort of glitching
Old 03-08-2002, 12:47 AM
Tech Master

i'm doing this @ home yes. but i thought it might be the two PCs i have running in my room that was messing with the Tx, so i went walking around with the buggy outside my house and even up to the void deck....

besides, i've been doing many Rc things in my house with no probs and the other components have usually worked fine before the ERG.

Lets just say that all the more obvious radio problems are not present (ie, wires in wrong place, interference from radio plate, cracked crystals, etc etc)
Old 03-08-2002, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

... then, the last thing I can suggest is borrow one FM radio and see if it goes away ... glitches come and go for me too, and most of the time it's gone even before I can figure it out ...
Old 03-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My 2 cts worth...

AM rx needs to have a constant supply of current in order to have a steady reception. Any high end servo tat is plugged in will draw extra current from the rx that cost the rx to lost orientation.

Use at least a mid end rx (FM) at least if you intend to use high end servos. Dun lost your baby car because of a good servo.

Ask AO, see he got good 2nd hand lelio anot.....
Old 03-08-2002, 06:08 PM
AO
Tech Addict

True true,

Old 03-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Default seems to work now...

Ok, seems to work now... no more glitching.

i replaced the blue sanwa box with the Rx which comes with the Megatech Jnr (yes yes.. another cheapo AM Rx!)..

when i find the time, i'll get someone to walk really far away from me with the buggy and check if the glitching acts up again...

THNKS FOR ALL THE HELP FOLKS!!
Old 03-09-2002, 03:39 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Modern radio tip

Sounds like your super servo is drawing too much current. Check the specs... is it a 6V model or one that is expecting 7.2V (extra wire?).

Just about all RX today have BEC built in (for electric car use), so you can actually safely use 7.2V battery to power the RX. The extra cell will guarantee there is minimum 6V at the RX plug even if contacts are dirty, and the extra voltage reduces current drain a little too.

Used to be hard to buy 7.2V RX packs but these days the MicroRS4 uses them so its much easier to get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.