Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Drift setup for different track conditions (1:10 EP) >

Drift setup for different track conditions (1:10 EP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drift setup for different track conditions (1:10 EP)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Drift setup for different track conditions (1:10 EP)

Hey, would like to know how the pros set their drift car up for different track conditions.
For example on tiled surfaces, shock tension and shock mounting positions, ride height, camber, toe, etc.
Front diff with rear spool, front spool with rear diff or front and rear diff. Front one way or normal. How to prevent rear from sliding out too much to the point where its hard to recover...All that kind of stuff.

I've been drifting on asphalt tracks for quite awhile now and the way I've set my car up is for the least traction possible because of the high traction nature of asphalt.
But recently I went to my first competition at Kovan Hub on 19th July and it was on tiled surface. I killed myself many times because I was very unfamiliar with the change in traction. Was slipping here and there and I couldn't control my ass from sliding out too much. Got help from some pros at the Bedok Drift meet on wednesday, but I'd like further in depth of setting up my car.

Thanks,
Darryl
Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try to have a few set ups for different surfaces. From very smooth to very rough. Sometimes changing the choice of tyres will do the job.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Silvialite
Try to have a few set ups for different surfaces. From very smooth to very rough. Sometimes changing the choice of tyres will do the job.
'Am currently using T-Drift for smooth surfaces and using F2 or PVC for asphalt(tires wear out very fast I must say). But meh, I'd just like more tips from people out there who have more experience than I do.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Nov
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a standard setup that works mainly for tiles...When I play on higher grip surface like carpet or tarmac, I just increase punch of the ESC...So to make it easier to lose grip...

I change the settings on the transmitter for different tracks and when it doesn't work, then I change the settings on the car...

Do take note that the surface at Kovan hub is sloped...The car might not feel like usual...

Some suggestions to prevent your rear from sliding out...But that depends on your throttle...

1. Harder front springs - Reduce weight transfer to front upon off throttle...

2. Softer rear springs - Increase weight transfer to rear upon on throttle...

3. Reduce rear chassis uptravel on off throttle - Screw in the downstop screw

4. More rear toe-in helps in stabilizing the rear...To a certain extend that is...

5. Higher ride height in the front than the rear...So at rest, the car's weight tilts to the rear and therefore reducing front grip, allowing your rear to stay more planted...

6. Ensure sufficient steering throw...

These are some of the stuff I can suggest over the forum...Anything more you've to find us at drift meets as its abit difficult to explain over here...
Old 07-25-2009, 03:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nov
I have a standard setup that works mainly for tiles...When I play on higher grip surface like carpet or tarmac, I just increase punch of the ESC...So to make it easier to lose grip...

I change the settings on the transmitter for different tracks and when it doesn't work, then I change the settings on the car...

Do take note that the surface at Kovan hub is sloped...The car might not feel like usual...

Some suggestions to prevent your rear from sliding out...But that depends on your throttle...

4. More rear toe-in helps in stabilizing the rear...To a certain extend that is...

5. Higher ride height in the front than the rear...So at rest, the car's weight tilts to the rear and therefore reducing front grip, allowing your rear to stay more planted...

These are some of the stuff I can suggest over the forum...Anything more you've to find us at drift meets as its abit difficult to explain over here...
nice. 1st time i hear correct setup theories explained. its all about weight transfer. what he metioned on the above are all to reduce weight transfer to the front so that the rear sticks more to the ground. basically dun do all at a time. try 1 after another between ur runs so u can feel the difference. gd job nov!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nov

Originally Posted by thirtycents
nice. 1st time i hear correct setup theories explained. its all about weight transfer. what he metioned on the above are all to reduce weight transfer to the front so that the rear sticks more to the ground. basically dun do all at a time. try 1 after another between ur runs so u can feel the difference. gd job nov!
Nice! Thanks for the advice! I haven't managed to buy new springs to adjust the suspensions but I've stood the front suspensions up to increase the dampening effect and laid the rear suspensions down so as to decrease their dampening effect, in a way to make the front harder and the rear softer...

But I've yet to try the settings out...will try them out on the next Bedok drift meet

Thanks a bunch again!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

I'm a little confused on gear ratios at the moment. I'm running about 5.6-5.7 gear ratio on my cyclone s, which is good amount of torque. Would like to know if theres any difference running 64 pitch against 48 pitch gears.

For example, getting to my current gear ratio I'm using a 30T pinion with a 72T spur, 48 pitch. And getting the same gear ratio with 64 pitch would be somewhere around 39T pinion and 96T spur.

Also, what is best gear ratios for smooth surfaces? I'll just add that my current 5.6-5.7 gear ratio seems pretty good on asphalt.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocketabyss
I'm a little confused on gear ratios at the moment. I'm running about 5.6-5.7 gear ratio on my cyclone s, which is good amount of torque. Would like to know if theres any difference running 64 pitch against 48 pitch gears.

For example, getting to my current gear ratio I'm using a 30T pinion with a 72T spur, 48 pitch. And getting the same gear ratio with 64 pitch would be somewhere around 39T pinion and 96T spur.

Also, what is best gear ratios for smooth surfaces? I'll just add that my current 5.6-5.7 gear ratio seems pretty good on asphalt.
48 pitch gears would last longer but will be more noisy, thus they are usually used for off road applications.

64 pitch gears would give you more gear ratios to play around with, as there are more teeth. Wear rate would however be higher.

For drifting, the load on the drivetrain is not as heavy as touring, thus 64 pitch gears can last quite a while if meshed properly. They are quieter as well.

For gear ratios, it depends on the track surface, type of surface, type of tyre (not so) and type of motor. There's no fixed ratio for all drifters. An fdr of 5 works for a silvercan on tiled surface, but it will overheat a brushless 3.5T mod motor even for drifting.

To check for ideal fdr, play around with your pinions or even spurs till both your ESC and motor do not feel too hot to the touch.

Just my 2 cents worth from experience and hearsay. Pros please add on or correct me if I said something wrong in any way.

Cheers and happy going sideways.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rocketabyss
'Am currently using T-Drift for smooth surfaces and using F2 or PVC for asphalt(tires wear out very fast I must say). But meh, I'd just like more tips from people out there who have more experience than I do.
currently for tiled smooth surfaces, i use electrical duct tape to wrap my T-drifts, alot more grip and alot less wheel spin on tiles , higher speed too, without losing too much drifting ability, protects ur tyres too from wearing out too early
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jecht
currently for tiled smooth surfaces, i use electrical duct tape to wrap my T-drifts, alot more grip and alot less wheel spin on tiles , higher speed too, without losing too much drifting ability, protects ur tyres too from wearing out too early
No tape please. Set up your car to grip the surface
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Silvialite
No tape please. Set up your car to grip the surface
bro...ppl's choice...haha...he's new...haha
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by carz91
bro...ppl's choice...haha...he's new...haha
Haha. Just kidding. But tape is highly not recommended. Get 'better' tyres and you can also fly on the track. =X
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there any good recommendation for drift tire beside T-Drift?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yea..im also wondering wat kinda of tire has the least traction thats available on the market?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by noobrc1
yea..im also wondering wat kinda of tire has the least traction thats available on the market?
My guess would be PVC, next would be ABS tyres. You playing on very rough grounds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.