Appeal For Donation: Medical Treatment For Charmaine Lim >

Appeal For Donation: Medical Treatment For Charmaine Lim

Appeal For Donation: Medical Treatment For Charmaine Lim

Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Appeal For Donation: Medical Treatment For Charmaine Lim

Thread from Daddy Hobby Forum

Hopefully the fund can reach Charmaine Lim by 14th July 2009. The desired account to transfer is stated below, if you are local try to use the internet banking facility, so that the amount you donate is received in full.

Who are we helping?

Charmaine Lim, a 4 year-old girl diagnosed with a rare cancer, Neuroblastoma, stage 4. The fact that the cancer had spread to her liver and bone marrow places her in a high risk category. She is fighting the disease courageously and had undergone 4 rounds of chemotherapy. She had also undergone a surgery 4 days back, to remove the tumor from her liver.

What is her story?

Doctors attending to her had given her a mere 10-20% chance of survival even after she finishes her treatment at a local hospital. However, Charmaine's chances can be significantly increased to 40-50% should she receive treatment with a drug (3F8) which is currently under clinical trial, conducted only at Memorial Sloan Kettering Caber Center (MSKCC) in NYC.

Charmaine's doctors had written MSKCC and in their reply, the center would only decide to admit Charmaine for treatment should an upfront payment of USD350,000 (~SGD500,000) be placed as a deposit. This amount excludes all other expenses that will be incurred in the course of seeking treatment in NYC.

Why are we helping?

Charmaine's mother, Ms Cynthia Lim, is a single parent who had recently given up her job to provide full-time care for Charmaine. She could not afford the cost of treatment and had appealed publically for donations.

So far (as of 22/06), the family had gathered about SGD150,000 from public donations and this sum includes their entire savings. The amount collected so far is about 30% of the targeted amount.

There is great urgency to raise the remaining funds as Charmaine has a window period to receive the 3F8 drug. The period would be somewhere between end July and early August 2009, after she had undergone her 5th chemotherapy session. Charmaine will be celebrating her 4th birthday this coming 14th July, and it is hoped that the targeted amount would be reached by then, in order to proceed with arrangements for her treatment.

How do I know that this appeal is not a spam/hoax?

Please kindly visit Charmaine's blog site and decide. The link to the blog is provided at the end of this appeal thread. However, there are hard evidences supporting the credibility of the appeal by Charmaine’s mum. Charmaine's plight had appeared on local newspapers (The Strait Times and The New Paper). Charmaine's doctor had written an open letter (posted in the blog) regarding Charmaine's diagnosis and possible treatment with 3F8. Videos and photos of Charmaine in hospital receiving chemotherapy and post-surgery are posted as well.

Charmaine at Day 3 post operation

How can I help?

The administrators of Daddyhobby had kindly consented for a coordinated donation drive to be organized in the forum. There will be several ways to help.

1) By committing a cash donation directly: The team of volunteers (consisting of close friends of Ms Cynthia Lim and the Godma of Charmaine) overseeing the fund raising had opened POSB Savings and PayPal accounts to receive donations. Daddyhobby members can transfer their monies directly into these accounts:

POSB Savings account (Cynthia Lim and Jolene, Charmaine’s Godma): 249-28205-7
Paypal (Jolene): [email protected]

For donors residing in Singapore, please be aware that a service charge will be imposed by Paypal on the recipient of the funds. As we want 100% of the donations to reach Charmaine, please kindly refrain from using this option to transfer.

No amount is too little. Every contribution will bring her closer to her treatment in NYC.

2) By committing the proceeds of sales of used or new hobby items to Charmaine: Should you wish to donate using this option, please kindly include the following phrase as part of the title for your posting, "Proceeds will be donated to toddler /w cancer). Please also PM or email me regarding your sales postings. I will be providing the administrators of DH a list of threads to be tagged "sticky" every evening.

Once you had received payment, kindly transfer the amounts directly into Charmaine's bank account. Also, please kindly inform me of the status of your sales. Once a deal is closed, the sticky tag will be removed to avoid cluttering.

3) By helping to create awareness of Charmaine's plight: Should you not be able to help with options (1) and (2) at this point in time, kindly help by (i) circulating the list of links provided at the end of this appeal to your contacts, (ii) visiting Charmaine's blog site and clicking on the advertisements there, (iii) leaving kind words of encouragement in Charmaine’s blog, and, (iv) praying for her and her family.

We want to acknowledge your act of kindness

I will be creating a list of donors from DaddyHobby. If you had donated, kindly leave your nick in the list and the amount donated (optional).

Also, do send me a PM or an email ([email protected]) with the following details:

Name in full and nickname in DaddyHobby,
Amount donated.

I will then compile the list of names and send it to little Charmaine / Ms Cynthia Lim and the administrators for Daddyhobby. The list with the full name of members will not be published in the forum and will remain confidential.

Links

Charmaine Lim's webpage: ourfiestyprincess.com
Blog site: ourfeistyprincess.blogspot.com

Other On-going Donation Drives

Do visit them and find out more about their planned activities. Some are putting up items an services to sell to raise fund. Do give your support...

Hardware Zone: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2401569
Kiasu Parents: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/fo...ee05ac5692a72f
Singapore Rolex Club:http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=21462
ClubSNAP Photography Community: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529818
Green Culture Singapore: http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/...howtopic=18995
Today's Motherhood: http://www.todaysmotherhood.com/
Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For those who read this thread and wish to make donation pls do so at Punggol Off-road Track and put your name, amount and contact mode will notify you upon collection.

Thanks for reading