Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ?? >

Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ??

I am starting this thread to seek your feedback and of course also to gauge if the resources needed justify the support from the local 1/8 buggy fratenity. Please don't flame me - I assure you that you will be IGNORED.

I am not making a promise, so I will lay down the facts as much as I could share and I want your frank and creative "solutions". Please don't tell me what cannot be done, because I already knew and personally I feel that mulling repeatedly over issues of "what cannot be achieve" is a sheer waste of everybody's time. So, here it goes:

1. I have a government body who can give us an area of size to my specifications, we have requested for a 70m x 40m area. That is all they will give. All else we have to source and be self sufficient.
2. The lease is expected to be 4 years. We do not have to pay for the lease.
3. It is located in a "god knows where" location, so noise pollution would not be an issue.
4. Accessibility is not that bad, it is accessible by BMW - Bus, MRT and Walk ample parking space is available.
5. An estimate of the costs to built a Ancol like track, Track alone with drainage and a granite chip access from the parking area will come to $22k.
6. My personal estimate of the additional cost of putting up a minimal driverstand with a mini paddock area below it would be an additional $15k.
7. If we only level the ground with drainage, without laying out the track and jumps, it would cost $15k, so the track, access and jumps only cost $7k.

Yes, $$$ is a problem holding back the plan, isn't that the case for most other plans ?

So guys & gals (not that I know of any here) what solutions can you offer ?

Thanks in advance to all who can contribute and "no thanks" to who wants to waste everybody's time

If we finally did have sufficient resourceful and creative contributors, we can form a group and discuss more details. Else I'll just let this thread die a natural death and so will this dream.

Please don't PM me, I need people who dares to stand up to what they really want in full transparency.

Last edited by phlim; 09-16-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Give me a call or pm me if u need manpower.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

hello mr lim..

i not sure if its possible.. how about part sponsorship by the LHS that run buggys? maybe like a one off token sum of money to built the track.. at least it will help start off the building cost..

or whoever can contribute anything to building the track?

i dunno i just speaking my 2 cents.

dun flame me.. just sugguesting
Old 09-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Sponsorship form LHS would mean that they would have a say in how things are done.

That could create conflict with the management.
Unless there are clauses with the contract to prevent this.

How about fund raising amongst the RC community?
Turning the Track into some sort of business? This would overcome some of the shortfalls of a non-profit organisation.
I know for a fact that some of the big tracks in the states are run as businesses.

my 2 red coins worth..
Old 09-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hi,

Hi,

If we can get a piece of land, I think we can made do without the luxury of the granite chip access. As for the driverstand, we could use those "scaffolding" used at the Ex Toa Payoh Track. I am not too sure how much it cost though. Track layout can be less "elaborate", see what we did for Woodland, though it is "primitive", we can still enjoy it.
As for drainage, I am not too sure?? If it rains, we just can't play right?
I am sure Micheal, Tony and gang is more than willing to help out.
But the main concern is when the lease expire, we will have to return the land in its original state, right?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Thanks for the early bird feedback.

Micheal: Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Vin: Yes, we need their $$$ support, working close with one at the moment, but no confirmation, so need to work more.

twerp: No one will come out $$$ and not have a say, we need the $$$ so we have to give them a say. We will have to accept that as a given. Track Biz, unfortunately are not very profitable, so it would be a little difficult to maintain it as a biz. - but I am no biz. person, so anyone here can shed some light on a viability of a biz. ?

cheekeon: Yes, that is why I listed the basic cost of $15k minimum. The existing locale is a waste shrub land, so it is not like Woodlands where it is all levelled out already. When the lease expires and if there is no extension, we simply walk off. That was the understanding.

Thanks and keep them coming guys.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Default hi,

Want to recce the place?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Thanks for the early bird feedback.

Originally posted by phlim
Micheal: Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Vin: Yes, we need their $$$ support, working close with one at the moment, but no confirmation, so need to work more.

twerp: No one will come out $$$ and not have a say, we need the $$$ so we have to give them a say. We will have to accept that as a given. Track Biz, unfortunately are not very profitable, so it would be a little difficult to maintain it as a biz. - but I am no biz. person, so anyone here can shed some light on a viability of a biz. ?

cheekeon: Yes, that is why I listed the basic cost of $15k minimum. The existing locale is a waste shrub land, so it is not like Woodlands where it is all levelled out already. When the lease expires and if there is no extension, we simply walk off. That was the understanding.

Thanks and keep them coming guys.
no need to levelled lah.. just cover it, compact it.. and use it as it is.. aint that a buggy track suppose to be?? rugged? hehe
Old 09-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks 4 the suggestion Mr Lim. Surely it will b greatly
appreciated by all CCKRCMC off-road members.

Even if it doesn't take-off, ur thought still counts. Especially
when it comes fm a gentleman who is fm MPRCMC(if I did
not remember wrongly) to help out in CCKRCMC off-road
members' woes. Now, what has CCKRCMC got 2 say 2 that.

We members, hv been eagerly offering our assistance 2
CCKRCMC in securing a perm off-road track by supporting
with manpower cum labour in the past. I am sure they will
still b willing 2 offer the same 2 u as well. Like the saying :-
'hv $, give $. no $, give strength'. Pardon me 4 saying this,
but if these members hv the financial means 2 build themself
a perm approved track then they won't need 2 b joining
any club at all. In all fairness, what is CCKRCMC giving here ?.

U may say I am only lamenting & not contributing any constructive ideas here, but then again, things has 2 b
straighten out 1st b4 embarking on any new ideas. Bet
now CCKRCMC is heaving a sigh of relieve having this new
thread that could distract the attention fm them on this
issue.

3 CHEERS TO MR LIM, U HV ALL OUR SUPPORT !.

Last edited by KK-racing; 09-17-2003 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Tech Champion

Default donations/contributions

instead of asking for funding from LHS, have u guys thot of approaching other small to medium enterprises dat may or may not be related to RC... it doesn't matter wat the company deals in but if one of the top level management people gets interested in RC, or is intrigued by the idea, he/she could influence the company to make annual donations/contributions to the maintainence/building of the track...

the company gains by having to pay lower taxes and maybe can even look good in the public's eyes if the track becomes popular and there is TV coverage...

i'm not sure how feasible is this idea but it might be an alternative way to obtain funding... i've seen a lot of basketball clubs obtain funding this way...
Old 09-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by KK-racing
Thanks 4 the suggestion Mr Lim. Surely it will b greatly
appreciated by all CCKRCMC off-road members.

Bet now CCKRCMC is heaving a sigh of relieve having this
new thread that could distract the attention fm them on this
issue.
U really must pardon me Mr Lim.
Reviewing my post then realised I only know how 2
'cow pay, cow boo'.
Count me in if u ever need any help.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: donations/contributions

Originally posted by hellangel
instead of asking for funding from LHS, have u guys thot of approaching other small to medium enterprises dat may or may not be related to RC... it doesn't matter wat the company deals in but if one of the top level management people gets interested in RC, or is intrigued by the idea, he/she could influence the company to make annual donations/contributions to the maintainence/building of the track...

the company gains by having to pay lower taxes and maybe can even look good in the public's eyes if the track becomes popular and there is TV coverage...

i'm not sure how feasible is this idea but it might be an alternative way to obtain funding... i've seen a lot of basketball clubs obtain funding this way...
yeah we might interest them in taking up the hobby and thus we have more players and thus LHS made more money .. then we have more tracks.. and more races..

*poof* i burst my bubble first.. dreaming too much ..
Old 09-17-2003, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up Thanks for the creative exchange here, please keep them coming.

cheekeon: I'll release the exact location only when we can see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Else, it will only give false hopes which I don't think we need.

Vin: Yes, that is what we need at least, the place is low lying, so it is prone to flooding, so we need to level it higher than the surrounding. On road tracks are expensive to built and relatively okay to maintain. While off-road tracks are the evil opposite, it gives one a false sense of achievement as it is relatively okay in terms of cost to built, but extremely expensive to maintain. If it is not maintain, it will rot in a matter of months.

KK-racing: Points taken, I would really appreciate we keep other non-related issues out of this thread and keep us focus here. If I am representing MPRCMC here, I would have put this under the relevant topic. I am targetting this to be an independent thread, free ourselves from whatever burden we have and have a constructive exchange. It would be great if you decide to edit your post Thanks for your offer of help, great to know we now have Micheal and you. And Yes, I would make sure TC buys me a coffee if this actually takes the steam off his back.

hellangel: Good point, I was waiting for someone to bring up so that I could lead on to a point I would like to make. Anyone here knows of any nice upper class people who may have some advertising dollars to spent ? I know it is hard to come by during these economic times, but if you have any direct contacts, it is sure better than throwing darts in the dark.

Vin: Don't burst that dream of yours, we all need dreams, else we wouldn't have the present East Coast Track today - construction was built upon mere dreams.

One other point I like to make, judging from the response to races recently, the local 1/8 buddy fratenity needs a little shake up and promotion.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default Hi

Quote :
cheekeon: I'll release the exact location only when we can see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Else, it will only give false hopes which I don't think we need.

I think it will be good if we can look at the place. There could be someway, maybe, we could do up the place at a much lower cost.
More heads helps, each could contribute in a way or so.
What do you think?

Off-roader, just take it as reconnaissance mission, OK?
Old 09-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Thanks for the creative exchange here, please keep them coming.

Originally posted by phlim
hellangel: Good point, I was waiting for someone to bring up so that I could lead on to a point I would like to make. Anyone here knows of any nice upper class people who may have some advertising dollars to spent ? I know it is hard to come by during these economic times, but if you have any direct contacts, it is sure better than throwing darts in the dark.
maybe a good place to start might be to try the companies in the automobile industry... for example, borneo motors, kah motors, performance motors, cycle & carraige etc... since we are into RC cars, it might be of some interest to them...

i know these are big players in the automobile industry and they might not give a hoot about us... but to try and fail is better than never try...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.