Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Newbies Queries - Ask and you shall be answered! >

Newbies Queries - Ask and you shall be answered!

Like Tree1Likes

Newbies Queries - Ask and you shall be answered!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks again.

Now I think I prefer to build one ground up (whats the damage ($) if i go this way). Prefer customization.

I think as an enthusiast on cars, It will not be a 3minutes urge to go into this hobby. But yet has alots to learn from the RC field on wheels.

Local shop I only heard those from Far east, crawford, chinatown (Kreta Ayer). Maybe it time I pay a visit to them. Will them give advise for newbie? worried some just want to push sales which I really dislike.

As of current, I am leaning toward Tomiya (not sure why).

Can you recommend some brands, kit or setup for a newbie.

P.S. I am no ex RC driver, just that I find it cheaper to play RC Drift compare to actual car drift. I lack of the real skill on the actual thing too. not to mention my car is FF.

Last edited by NanoCL7; 10-09-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No problem buddy. Total damage will not be anything from more than ur car's major service. Like I said u prepare to spend abt 700+ quite a good kit.

What I also look for is how's the people at the shop. Some shops the ppl and owners act like I own them money so those shops I will avoid. But generally mostly good service.
I reckon u have done enff homework to avoid being a vegi head.

I think u no need to go shopping anymore. Instead narrow down to which brand you like. You prefer tamiya bcos of the cosmetics they are the best. Tamiya is RTR or just chassis?

Good start i think is JXR has some blink and looks good. Too expensive then take MST. They have low end and pro kits. Still have more money take yokomo dibs, still have money buy DRB.
Also street jam TO-R31 std to pro. Tamiya was my short list when I started but dumb i . Due to lack of parts and notice mostly don't use it. Also out of the box many stuff don't have pay too much to upgrade.

End part1

Last edited by Bieffe; 10-10-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

To me most important for drift is:
- steering angle 45degrees or more...DIB only 45 stock and very X. StreetJ stock already 50. The bigger angle = ur sideways will be more acute
- Front One Way...this is not like rear car, the front wheels are made to lock instead of Diff like the rear or rear car. Diff will make the L and R wheels turn at different speeds helps with steering, for RC drif is LOCK both L and R turn together same direction. This allows u to go into a drift much easier.
- CS (counter steer) the front will run x1.2 x1.5 x1.8 or x2.0 times faster than the rear, counter steer idea same like the rear car. Going right but wheel held Left!

With these said, after my study an newbie is:
-JXR by Enroute
http://www.enroute.co.jp/english/jxr/
- 01D by MST
http://www.rc-mst.com/product_detail...lang=eng&id=26
-Street Jam R31
http://www.street-jam.info/media/1330277385.pdf
http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...r31/index.html
But I finally never get this...was my 2nd choice
- DIB by Yokomo need to add abt $100+ to get from 1 way, CS kit
- DRB by Yokomo very bling high class kit but not best value

Most important is good control for steering and throttle. Best kit does not make u best drifter.

Since u like Taimiya can drop by Tadora Racing
http://www.tarodaracing.com/

Finally what's ur budget?

Last edited by Bieffe; 10-10-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the great infor again.

I will need some times to digest.

Budget is 1k, but if can save will save. still need to do real servicing

BTW. 1/10 is the scale to go right?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NanoCL7
Thanks for the great infor again.

I will need some times to digest.

Budget is 1k, but if can save will save. still need to do real servicing

BTW. 1/10 is the scale to go right?
That budget is very fair. Yes mostly 1/10 & electric power aka EP.
Get a cheap tx/rx with less adjustments or one that uses analog trim with 1 or no LCD display. There is a brand Flysky, never used b4 but got the looks and functions of those 300+ with a $100+ price tag.
Motor take hobby wing combo ezrun. 10.5Turns abt is sufficient. The ESC the more amps the better. Usually 80A upwards. More amps more punch like turbo.

Motor less turns goes faster but less torque...8-5T are usually used for touring cars...aka run straight the fastest possible.

Also a point to note. If wanna get a kit go weekdays, weekends too crowded.

Last edited by Bieffe; 10-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Shops will also recommend you a digital servo abt $60.you will need for faster steering response. Yes the analogue servo that comes with the controller u keep.

Charger try to get one that do not require a additional adaptor...like those for laptops. Easy to carry.

Li-po batts u need to care for it. These batts are like woman, need to love her. Very easy pregnant and the times gets shorter. You cannot full change and leave it there. You need to storage charge the batt (this program available in the charger itself).

Don't over drain the batt, play till voltage no less that 3.5V. Some ESC will stop once voltage goes there abouts.

Last edited by Bieffe; 10-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

I benefit much from your recommendation and POV. Now have a better picture of what I am going for. Thanks.

Which meetup you are joining?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

I usually at kovan on Fridays and Sundays at Crawford. For schedule check out the sticky.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Default Best Radio for Budget and Serious Racing

hi guys,

maybe you cud give some ideas. just wanna ask what wud be the
best radio for the budget as well as serious racing. please see below for choices.

1.) airtronics/ sanwa m11x
2.) ko propo eurus ex-10
3.) futaba 4pks
4.) spektrum dx3r-pro
5.) radiopost ts401

any feedback shall be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have a question about my radio servo setup. Im setting up a Airtronics m12 with Ko Propo RSX power HC servos running on a 2600 mah lipo pack. Ive got everything all hooked up and Ive adjusted my trims, end point, Ect. Now my question is that while just at rest with the transmitter and receiver on, the servos seem to have this slight ticking like sound, sort of like they are making ever so slight movements, and this happens only when the transmitter is on. if the receiver is on only the servos sit there silent. Is this normal ? if not any solutions ? Also on my throttle servo, no matter what types of adjustments I make to the trim, epa, ect when I hit the throttle or brake and hold it I still get the servo "singing" sound. Is this because the brake and throttle return springs are pushing against the servo ? any advise here ?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foosmatrix
Have a question about my radio servo setup. Im setting up a Airtronics m12 with Ko Propo RSX power HC servos running on a 2600 mah lipo pack. Ive got everything all hooked up and Ive adjusted my trims, end point, Ect. Now my question is that while just at rest with the transmitter and receiver on, the servos seem to have this slight ticking like sound, sort of like they are making ever so slight movements, and this happens only when the transmitter is on. if the receiver is on only the servos sit there silent. Is this normal ? if not any solutions ? Also on my throttle servo, no matter what types of adjustments I make to the trim, epa, ect when I hit the throttle or brake and hold it I still get the servo "singing" sound. Is this because the brake and throttle return springs are pushing against the servo ? any advise here ?
^ Yes. And most if not all digital servo will buzz.

Digital servos are often easily identified when running because of the different sound they make as a result of this increased motor-drive. Hitec digitals will "sing" at a high frequency and some others like Futaba and JR will "growl"...
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinoy_rc
hi guys,

maybe you cud give some ideas. just wanna ask what wud be the
best radio for the budget as well as serious racing. please see below for choices.

1.) airtronics/ sanwa m11x
2.) ko propo eurus ex-10
3.) futaba 4pks
4.) spektrum dx3r-pro
5.) radiopost ts401

any feedback shall be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Sanwa MT-4
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by KK-racing
Sanwa MT-4
Hi guys, if budget allows which tx would you get? Sanwa mt4 or Radiopost? I really like the look for both
How is the local support for these 2 brands? Easy to get parts for them easily locally?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tanlaw
Hi guys, if budget allows which tx would you get? Sanwa mt4 or Radiopost? I really like the look for both
How is the local support for these 2 brands? Easy to get parts for them easily locally?
Boss, MT-4 is a low budget radio packed with features including telemetry dun need high budget.
Sanwa is fm Japan & well established oredi while Radiopost is fm Korea & still new, u decide.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.