Old 06-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Tech Initiate

thx nightkidz
u have been most helpful

so u r saying that it's not true that belt is better than shaft
what is FOD damage?

why most pple say shaft less maintenance and less likely to spoil
i have read pple like gto i think playing on football field with tl01
is it possible with ta04, will it get spoilt?

tb01 is rally ready issit? shaft designed?

pls pardon my foolish qns
Old 06-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

TA04 is for on road use. You can drift it on the tarmac but not on the sandy dirt track. The drive train is open style. I would never try running a TA04 on the dirt.

TB01 can be use for on road and off road driving. The drive train is sealed. Very durable also.

Basically, like what the rest has said, any car can be set to drift. Now it's up to you to choose a car only. If you are on a budget, consider the price first. The cost can really snow ball when you want better stuff.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

it used to be dat belt drive was a more efficient drive train in the past... but now, the newer cars with the shaft drive train is right up there on par (if not better) than the belts...
if u have ever heard a TB evo 3 and a TB-01 accelarate at full throttle, u will know wat i mean...

another advantage of shaft is dat there is no slop... belts stretch under load and will elongate over time... shafts provide instant, precise throttle control... i think dat shafts are more suited for drifting purposes since u will require acceleration power to maintain the slide...

usually, shafts driven cars have sealed gearboxes... while belt driven cars usually (not all the time) do not... this is the nature of their design... having a sealed gear box means dat dirt can't get in so u dun need to maintain/rebuild ur diffs so often... less maintainance...!!!

the TA-04 has it's ball diffs exposed so driving it anywhere other than on road would be insane...

Tb-01 chassis comes in both on road and rally kits... the main difference between the two types is the body shell and the tires the kits comes wif...

if ur're concern about ball bearings, there are some TB-01 kits dat include tamiya's blue sealed bearings... so u wun have to fork out extra for bearings...

like nightkidz mentioned, shocks on the TB-01 are better value...
Old 06-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Ice,
I think an electric car is what you are looking for. Quiet to run in the neighbourhood.
Get a TB01, (full ball bearing), Rally body( WRX/ EVO).
MX-3 + ESC + charger + battery and you are set to drift....

Last edited by kkyeo; 06-16-2003 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:52 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by hellangel
if ur're concern about ball bearings, there are some TB-01 kits dat include tamiya's blue sealed bearings... so u wun have to fork out extra for bearings...
Which ones?

I only know of the TB01 Subaru WRC Prototype, the Focus and Enzo and I only saw metal-shielded bearings in the box.

Not even the EvoIII comes with blue-sealed...
Old 06-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

maybe i made a mistake then... i thot they were the blue sealed bearings... maybe they're not...
i saw them in my fren's kit last time... maybe he extra hop up himself...
or maybe i saw wrongly...

anyway, having metal shielded bearings is still better than running on brass bushings...
Old 06-17-2003, 01:58 AM
Tech Initiate

This thread has gotten me interested in tamiya cars again. Now I'm only into nitros. I used to play with my tamiya buggies back in my sec skool days like 13 yrs ago. Loves drifting and running them in all the sandy fields. Totally maintainence free. All my years in buggies, the worst I did was to break my shocks, but I did broke my aunt's bonsai in the process.

As an aside, does anyone here still have madcap or advante's user manual? I had been trying to fix them up but dun think parts wld be avail now.

So are we able to collate and arrange some kinda mass order here in the forum? I wld love getting a battery car for bashing/drifting. TL01 wld be great. Nostalgia, juz like back to the old days.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:13 AM
Tech Initiate

hmm will go take a look at tb01 and see if it's gd for me
what's the rough price like? more ex or less than the ta04s?

tonky: mass order? i dun mind, but i think maybe not enuff orders
if there is and it's for tl01/tb01 i will gladly join in
Old 06-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by icyflame
hmm will go take a look at tb01 and see if it's gd for me
what's the rough price like? more ex or less than the ta04s?

tonky: mass order? i dun mind, but i think maybe not enuff orders
if there is and it's for tl01/tb01 i will gladly join in
Dude,
The TB01 should suit your purpose to a T

Where you intend to look at the cars?

Cheers
Old 06-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Tech Initiate

i was thinking of going to swan to see
cuz that day only see tl01 and ts04s
never see tb01

but just got offer to sell a 2nd hand set to me for $150
Old 06-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Hmm swan will be a good place to start ur quest.
have fun
Old 06-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone knows what's the rough price of the TT01 or TL01 or is there a cheapo tamiya like the "grasshopper" back in the old days where you cld get it for <100 bux? Not too sure if all my ten yr old batteries and quick charger still works..else prob hafta invest in a few packs, and it'll work out till 200-250 bucks.

icyflame : Wld drop u a pm if I managed to round up a few pals.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:53 PM
sty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tronky
Does anyone knows what's the rough price of the TT01 or TL01 or is there a cheapo tamiya like the "grasshopper" back in the old days where you cld get it for <100 bux? Not too sure if all my ten yr old batteries and quick charger still works..else prob hafta invest in a few packs, and it'll work out till 200-250 bucks.

icyflame : Wld drop u a pm if I managed to round up a few pals.
Bro,

Dont have to work ah? Sorry I also the same. Last I know the TL 01 is about 150. If you want to buy, count me in.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

yap tl01 is 150

btw i have received a gd offer for tb0 (i think) as this guy has been helping me a lot

but i am wondering should i get new or 2nd hand?
for i am a newbie
do i need to get new set so that i can know how to assemble?
or can i just dismantle the 2nd hand set and still learn in the process?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

If you have the budget to buy a new kit and build it up, is good for learning. Else, buying a 2nd hand is also good, provided you get the manual and the kit is in resonable condition. And best if the seller is willing to assist you.
The TB01 is basically a very easy car to build. The gear box are the same for the front and rear. I dun see much difficulty in building the kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.