Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Mini Cooper Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ray Lan
EE Bro, just curious, the alum blue knuckle uses M3 screws right? To my memory, the lightweight kinpin is larger than M3??.

RL
Ray,

howsitgoing? tamiya part 53523 is actually meant for the kits PRIOR to the M03M, M04M.( These kits include the Rover Mini Cooper,BMW Z3 roadster) Altho the parts are still in stock, its actually meant for the 'older' series of the M chassis.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/f2/76/fddc_1.JPG
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/t/tamc4523.jpg

Part 53523 were/ are to replace the soft plastic steering knuckles dat always broke when u ran those cars against a wall or a board while racing.

When the Suzuki Swift kit was launched,it had replaced the weak parts with an upgraded c hub and knuckles. Altho it was upgraded, the steering parts actually came from a TA04 parts tree. So it was stronger and it really is stronger.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/prod...ader_51238.jpg

The picture above shows u wat the replacement parts dat made the M03M wat it is rite now.The middle extension plate to make it mid size, and the included 2 deg rear toe in.In fact, if u'd like to upgrade the 'old' m03/m04 steering, just get this tree and u'll be alrite ( plus u get the 2 deg toe in free...if u dont already have it)

Then the M03R was launched and it had the blue goodies.The blue aluminium knuckles is one of them.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/prod.../header_01.jpg

Now, to answer ur question.You are correct abt the BLUE aluminium knuckles using M3 screws.( I am sure u have the M03R from my memory).On a M03M, the kingpins are actually from a Ta04Pro ( and I am sure dat u have/had dis kit too).A pic of the Ta04 kingpins meant to be used on a M03M, part no 50882

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/images/tam_50882.jpg

If u compare the kingpins on the 'old' m03, yes the lightweight kingpins would be bigger.

http://www2.gpmd.com/image/t/tamc5141.jpg

It is bigger because part 53523; SILVER alu knuckles has a bigger hole for the kingpins to go through.

In a TL01,the kingpins would be similar, as it is in the few tamiya off road buggies (DF02/DT02)

I hope i dont bore / confuse u with my post.It'll be painful for someone to spend gd money on parts dat dont fit, becaused they were confused abt part interchangebility.

regards
Evil Ernie
Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi jonest,

If you looked at past results, you'll see that i have been pretty darn slow on carpet. I was told by the fast carpet guys that 60D M-Grip with hard inserts work, soft inserts also work.

I will be testing these combos at FarEast this coming race to find out how fast I can go. Wish me luck.
Hi Ray, what tire combi did you eventually decided on at Far east?

Cheers
Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi EE,
Yea, I have the R. This chassis is the most fun chassis I have ever had. Minimum parts for maximum fun, not to mention the hardy parts. (touchwood!)

Hi protyne,
I used M Grip with hard inserts all round. The car is vey nimble, maybe too nimble for my fingers on that day, it was a case of the fingers need setup rather than the car. The other fast guys used soft inserts for the rear to help stability, until today I question myself why I did not try that out on my last heat...
Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Well bro... I actually got more steering using soft rear...

Oh well...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Hi EE,
Yea, I have the R. This chassis is the most fun chassis I have ever had. Minimum parts for maximum fun, not to mention the hardy parts. (touchwood!)

Hi protyne,
I used M Grip with hard inserts all round. The car is vey nimble, maybe too nimble for my fingers on that day, it was a case of the fingers need setup rather than the car. The other fast guys used soft inserts for the rear to help stability, until today I question myself why I did not try that out on my last heat...
Thanks Ray! So you will go M-grip/hard up front and M-grip/soft at rear for next TAC at Kallang? Its indoor / carpet again ya?

Stock up on Tamiya tires while Stargek still at 20% discount
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

i've been using S-grip+blue inserts and sometimes black inserts all round.

i like both set up but will prefer S-grip+blue inserts all round more.

next time i will try M-grip+blue inserts... S-grip expensive lah

OT.. why is there no registration for TAC5 yet?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Toonz
i've been using S-grip+blue inserts and sometimes black inserts all round.

i like both set up but will prefer S-grip+blue inserts all round more.

next time i will try M-grip+blue inserts... S-grip expensive lah

OT.. why is there no registration for TAC5 yet?
If you're running the next TAC on carpet then going to M grip would be a better bet. As S-grip is too grippy and will be very slow in the corners.

Try Mgrip hard up front and soft rear.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
If you're running the next TAC on carpet then going to M grip would be a better bet. As S-grip is too grippy and will be very slow in the corners.

Try Mgrip hard up front and soft rear.

Especially true if you enter the corners by lifting just a bit of throttle....28Turn L.Tune is not anywhere near a ballistic power plant... If you were on S Grips, it will either roll alot, and slow down, or worse, traction roll... not fast at all.

In all grip racing, drivers aim to gently slide the car round corners, in fact, it is a very very slight drift. Try to observe the fast guys like Alvin Koh, Kelvin Khng, Nicholas Lee or Sim Zikai... more easily seen at BK's wide and fast track. Enough grip to hold a tight racing line, and to accelerate out of corners, but not so much that it slows you down.

That said, do bring both M and S grips to the track, you never know when the conditions will change to favour either type of tires.

Have fun!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just got myself a m03m.
Need to get some spare tyres.
What other brands of tyres are available for the minis, in 60d sizes?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi , I'm sorry for posting again in an old thread.. but....

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a Mini Cooper S body shell mounted on one of my custom chassis with a solid axle(originally posted in the drift thread)

[IMG][/IMG]

The only problem i face with the chassis is it's drift. Since it's RWD , I find it very difficult to slide.Blame me for not putting it 4WD !

[IMG][/IMG]

It's Touring tires on a Cooper shell. I had to cut our part of the body to fit those wheels.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hi M chassis owner!!! me and my buddies will be getting a M03R next week hope to learn more from the old birds here hehe cheers maybe one day we can all hang out =)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Rookie

hi,

anyone knows where to get cheap n good M03R mini cooper bodyshell?

Last edited by s3an; 07-30-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s3an
hi,

anyone knows where to get cheap n good M03R mini cooper bodyshell?
AUNTIE WINNIE!@!!!!!!! haha
Old 06-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Melvin whatever u need to know abt M03 is all inside. I play n race M03 before