Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good place to get a Tamiya 1/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Good place to get a Tamiya 1/14

Hi all as some of you may know I am relatively new to Singapore so would appreciate any help.

I want to send a Tamiya truck to someone for a Christmas present and wondered were the best shop would be. I am looking to get one of the 1/14 scale model trucks possibly the Mercedes Benz 1850L .

Cheers

Old 12-10-2002, 12:07 AM
Tech Regular

Have you check with Tai Sing? A Tamiya distributor.
Tel: 62912633

http://www.taising.com
Old 12-10-2002, 02:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if this is a static model kit... then there is also quite a good shop in the building opposite center point (where john littles is). i think the shop is called "the orchard store" or something like dat. i can't remember wat the name of the building is called but the shop is on either the 2nd or 3rd floor.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:39 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

No, the Tamiya 1/14 Mercedes truck is RC, with a 3-speed gearbox shifting from the 3rd TX channel. A very scale looking vehicle!!

This one is a single drive axle with a pantechnicon rigid body, but can also get other primemovers like Volvo Globetrotter, King Hauler etc. For these you have to buy the trailer (balak trailer, pantech trailer, oil tanker) separately.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:41 PM
WC
Tech Master

Oh solli... forgot to add:

I think Winnie (Sw'an) had some trucks on her shelf.

(Winnie:- if you reading this, I'll be expecting "good discount" next time I come in, okie?? )
Old 12-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Tech Champion

Ahhh... i know wat u tokking about now...

my memory suddenly decided to take a vacation... sorry.
yes, i do believe i've seen this truck at taiseng before. and there was quite a big pile of them so i dun think they will sell out so fast. i also think i saw some of the hopup items in the glass cabinet... stuff like alu rims, head lamps and brake lights, sound unit etc...

Anabolicmaxx: besides these trucks, tamiya's 1/16 scale, 4 channel RC model tanks are also a dream to build and play... not cheap thou.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:08 AM
WC
Tech Master

Ya, the trucks are very addictive..!!

At least with the tanks, you buy a "full set" you get everything already one shot, just add radio. Oh maybe the laser tag pack too, if you got kaki + 2nd tank to war with. That's it.

All the truck hopups is nightmare - got alloy wheels (arrgh, how many wheels on the truck!!?!), alloy bullbar, motorised trailer legs, light set, engine sound set, telescopic antenna. All these options and there is barely enough space in the truck cabin to hide all the kacang.

Lucky I managed to avoid this crazyness... I get my 3spd kicks from an old Mountaineer. No hopups available here, phew!!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Tech Champion

I actually had a chance to play wif one of these trucks before... and the experience was one of a kind!!!

A customer brought one to the track when i happened to be at RCS one night... the truck was outfitted wif the lights and sound set. i think it was a merc pulling the container trailer.

Shifting gears was kinda hard to do smoothly at first cos not used to it mah... but after a while, u get the hang of it and u can shift up and down smoothly. the sound it makes when u change gears is damn real man!!! in third gear, the truck actually goes pretty FAST... but remember to allow plenty of distance to slow down. same as driving a real 1/1 scale lorry...

Very Impressed!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thanks chaps.

The truck is an idea for a present for my Dad. He has the Volvo with trailer and it is great.

They are a bit tricky to drive especially in reverse with the trailer hooked up.

He has lights and all he other stuff on it looks great on the shelf and also fun to run around as well.

Cheers