Charger

Old 10-23-2001, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hi

HI Moses,

Definitely not the Melvin u know. Do you mean Cisco as in the routers, switches network manufacturer ?

Melvin

Originally posted by signoftimes
I'll be calling MRC in the U.S. in a while's time. Will let you know after that.

My name is Moses. Your name sounds familiar. It sounds like someone that I know from my previous job. If you're not that person that I think I know, you probably don't know me coz I don't go racing. Just like the R/C stuff which I just started in February this year.

Did you use to come from Cisco Systems?
Old 10-23-2001, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Melvin,

Found that the Super Brain 959 accepts only 120V at 60 cycles. That means a step-down transformer is required to operate the charger.

Do you know where to buy one like the one that I just mentioned to run step down to 120V at 60 cycles? And how much would that cost?
Old 10-23-2001, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Melvin,

Yes, Cisco as in routers and switches. So are you in the IT industry too? How do you know about routers and switches?

So do you race or do R/C for leisure only?
Old 10-23-2001, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Yes , i am in IT but I am not familiar with Cisco. I was doing the CCNA myself early this year but I stopped because of busy schedule. Are you a Cisco trained personnel ?

How's the feedback from MRC ?

Melvin,

Yes, Cisco as in routers and switches. So are you in the IT industry too? How do you know about routers and switches?

So do you race or do R/C for leisure only?
Old 10-23-2001, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Moses,

I already have a step down transformer myself But one cost about $30 - $ 60 if i remember correctly. You should try hunting i down in Sim Lim Tower for better price.

Melvin,

Found that the Super Brain 959 accepts only 120V at 60 cycles. That means a step-down transformer is required to operate the charger.

Do you know where to buy one like the one that I just mentioned to run step down to 120V at 60 cycles? And how much would that cost?
Old 10-23-2001, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Buy 2 charger and connect them in series into the mains 240AC !!! It works !!! no need to buy a step down transformer.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kasey,

Thanks for the info!

Melvin,

Yeah, I attended the ICND for Cisco, but didn't get to do the CCNA exam.

About the transformers sold at Sim Lim at $30/$40, are they reliable? What about the 60 cycles that I mentioned earlier? Did you notice the 13.8V regulated transformer mentioned by "Nipple" that cost $200+ or $300_+? I wonder what that is man.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

if I am not mistaken, regulated power supplys' output is much closer to a constant voltage level.

i.e. the ripple voltage at the output is much attenuated.
Old 10-24-2001, 05:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I see. That means to say it is quite consistently running at say, 60 cycles instead of highs and lows, right?

Originally posted by Alvin
if I am not mistaken, regulated power supplys' output is much closer to a constant voltage level.

i.e. the ripple voltage at the output is much attenuated.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Eagle CDC

Hi guys,

what about Eagle CDC charger ? looks pretty good. but a bit
expensive.

I was thinking of doing a programmable peak charger
using a micro-controller. Just do a constant current source
and measure the voltage delta over time.

Didn't have the time to do it though.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys.... hmmm eagle CDC ... MY CHARGER...... ok... it is quite good as in it can set to NImh and NIcd, charge at 0.1A to 10.A, 3-8 cells, delta peak detection at 3mV to 20mV, 12V DC input (there is a AC/DC version) discharge rate up to 20mAh. its all in one and it works pretty fine, it can detect open circuits, reverse batteries and other faults(overheating) and shut down on its own.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Madman.

How much does the Eagle CDC cost and who's selling it in S'pore?

I heard from a friend that NiMH batteries don't like to be cycled (discharged completely and re-charged). Any advice or tech documents on how to maintain 3000mAh NiMH batteries well?

Originally posted by Madman
Hi guys.... hmmm eagle CDC ... MY CHARGER...... ok... it is quite good as in it can set to NImh and NIcd, charge at 0.1A to 10.A, 3-8 cells, delta peak detection at 3mV to 20mV, 12V DC input (there is a AC/DC version) discharge rate up to 20mAh. its all in one and it works pretty fine, it can detect open circuits, reverse batteries and other faults(overheating) and shut down on its own.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

NImh... hmmm ok its true that nimh dun like to be discharged till near 'zero' volt condition. so Always store them with 1/3 the capacity they can carry. Also when you charge Nimh regardless of what charger, it is always good to have a ttemperature probe to monitor the heat of your cells. somewhere below 50 degs is ood. Anything too much higher will dmg the cells

The eagle is about mid 200-300ish and elite models at orchard plaza sels them, if stocks permits that is. They got a AC/DC version of it too but its huge, like carrying a 12 v batt I think. You can go down and take a lok at it took.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Madman: The CDC charging amp is from 0.1A - 7A in 0.1 amp increment. And charge 4-8 cells. As for shutting down on it own, I don't seem to see the feature available on my unit.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

I guess what Madman meant is when it detects faults like uh, open cct or battery suddenly disconnected while charging, it will just stop.

Hey, dudes with the CDC, can u tell me what settings u guys use for Sanyo 3ks? Mine I think spoilt liao, overheated. I charge at 5A with 3mv/C, capacity at most can only get about 2600mAh

My 2k nicad and 3k GP cell no problems, all > than their rated capacity.

Regards,
Alvin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.