Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I break in Acer Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Default How do I break in Acer Bearings

I just got my set of acer bearings (their ceramic pro nitride series), and I need some suggestions on how to break them in?

Btw, their red seal ones are the pro nitride series right? how bout yellow? also pro nitride? (I am not sure does size of the bearings dictate their seal colors or does quality of bearings do that.)

I have been recieving conflicting advice about breaking in ceramics, so I just want to hear some reasoning on why different people have selected different methods.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I know with the Acer's I run, the seals appear to dictate the size...

Actually all the higher end Acer's I've bought, have different seals for different size bearings
Old 03-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just flush out my Acers with motor spray and oil them with a light oil (Megamule)
Then it's off to the track
Flush and oil them 1 or 2 times a season and they should hold up a loong time
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

I was under the impression that ceramic bearings needed no oil and in fact oil may dampen their performance.

Is that not true?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Here's a thought..... Contact Acer directly! They should be able to tell you the CORRECT way to take care of and break-in thier product. This way you don't get conflicting answers.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Qwiglee
I was under the impression that ceramic bearings needed no oil and in fact oil may dampen their performance.

Is that not true?
I believed in this too until 2 of my wheelbearings seized after just one race.. After i have oiled them they have hold up for more than a year..
Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

For the longest life and smoothest operation of your Acer Ceramics, run them exactly as you got them from Acer. Don not clean them and relube them...run then with the thick factory lube in them. After aboiut 15-20 packs, they will be broken in and then you can clean and relube them.

Ceramic bearings do need oil. The difference between ceramic and steel bearings is that ceramic bearings are lighter, stronger and can take higher temperatures than steel!

One drop of the Acer SIN oil is all that is needed and it will not have a negative effect on performance! But yes, they do need oil if you want them to last!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Good luck getting ahold af Acer! i bought a set just like you descibed, i put them in and you could hardly turn the wheels, or diffs, i tried calling them, Email, fax finallly 3 days later someone called me back, we talked and he told me to remove one side of the seal and really clean the grease out of them, even soak them overnight, then use a quality bearing lube, reinstall in the car and run it about half or less throttle for about 5-10 packs with the wheels off, didn't work! so i tried the whole process over again with the same results, so i sent them back for a refund, for $100.00+ bearings they should be ready to zing right out of the package.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wow, i've bought 5 sets of the Pro-nitride for 4 different cars and i havn't had any problems at all... For the price they're superb, BOCA seems a bit overprized...
Old 03-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, I have never had any problems at all with Acer. I currently run their ceramics in every car I own. I never had a problem with their customer service either.

As far a being ready to "zing" right out of the package...well I don't have a problem with breaking them in. I mean, we have to assemble batteries, break in motors, build cars...what difference does it make. Buy any other manufactures bearings you still would have to clean and relube the bearings when they are new to get them to "zing."
But once Acer's are broken in they get better and better!

Go through a little break in period and you'll be very happy!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Do the bearings actually need to have stress placed on them from racing or can you just hook up a charger and motor and just run the motor for a really long time?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

The first time i used the acer berings i thought they sucked. but once i ran them for a while they were great and still are.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, they seem a little stiff when brand new becuase of the seals that Acer uses. Once they are broken in however, they are the best bearings and the best seals you will find. Very, very little maintenance. They keep dirt and carpet fibers out of the bearings better than any other shield out there.

I would put packs through them on the track. Trust me, they are still smooth out of he box and you will not notice them slowing you down. In fact, when new, they are about as smooth as any other new bearing you could buy but after 15-20, nothing can touch them.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

thankyou very much for all the replies.

yea.... for the person that gave me the "here's a though..."... contacting ACER by email is near impossible. I couldn't even get a ABEC grade from them after 2 weeks.

I think I will break them in by running them for about 10 runs, then spraying them out and re-lubing them w/ some sin oil.

Question though... How should I spray them out?? take off seal? with seal?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rcnewb2004
thankyou very much for all the replies.

yea.... for the person that gave me the "here's a though..."... contacting ACER by email is near impossible. I couldn't even get a ABEC grade from them after 2 weeks.

I think I will break them in by running them for about 10 runs, then spraying them out and re-lubing them w/ some sin oil.

Question though... How should I spray them out?? take off seal? with seal?
To be honest, I just run them as is. In 15-20 runs, they are perfect and do not need cleaning or relubing. When I always keep the seals on but use a bearing blaster.