What is the best all round 1/8 E buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best all round 1/8 E buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What is the best all round 1/8 E buggy?

Hi all,
I'm looking at buying a new RC shortly after xmas.
I'm more of a basher than anything but I would like to keep the option of racing open as there are two fantastic tracks not far from where I live...

In order of importance to me is-
Durability/reliability
Fast and good handling
Raceability
Aftermarket Parts availability
Cost

Please post what you think would be most suitable and why.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Durability/reliability=Mugen Eco
Fast and good handling=Mugen Eco
Raceability=Mugen Eco
Aftermarket Parts availability=Depends where you live/doesn't really need any.
Cost=Around 500$. Definitely worth it.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AusOffroader
Hi all,
I'm more of a basher than anything but I would like to keep the option of racing open as there are two fantastic tracks not far from where I live...

Durability/reliability
Fast and good handling
Raceability
Cost

Thanks
Hi, I've had a few 1:8 E's myself, and I am currently in the waiting-game for the new Durango. As that car has not been tested much yet I can't recommend it, but I can tell you about a well-hidden gem in this class. My second attempt at 1:8E was the Hobao (Ofna) Hyper 9E. This car is notably cheaper than the rest of the pure-breed 1:8 E's, and has only one weak link in my book. The wing mount is bolted to the rear gearbox. Land the car upside-down on carpet or anything else that really grips the wing, and you're in for 10 minutes of repairs. Cheap part, but annoying. The rest of the car is extremely tough, and it actually handles better than the Nitro version on loose tracks IMO. I believe this car has got a succesor now, and is currently called the Hyper Star Electric. ($399 at amain.) This would be my suggestion for bashers. Parts access and prices has always been very good with Hobao.

My last car was the Kyosho MP9E. It's good, but I actually felt the need to upgrade som major parts. That's not what I expect from one of the most expensive rides in this class. ($750 currently at amain.) I spent over $150 in extras from RCproductDesigns to change the battery and ESC layout. After these mods it was close to perfect, but still there's the issue of those 4 cell brick-packs. This makes for a side- and top-heavy car that jumps awkward.

From what I've seen in the pictures, my bet for 1:8E for racers, is either the Serpent or the Durango due to their saddlepack battery design that will sit really low in the car. Price is also acceptable. Parts access, I don't know yet.

If you're looking for a cheap ride and don't like the look of the Ofna, the AE RC8Be is on sale due to it's successor hitting the shops. ($374.99 at amain.)

Good luck!
-S-
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you want something cheap and durable, look at a Ofna Ultra LX2e. I have both the LX1e and LX2e and for the price, are hard to be beaten (even if they did cost more, they're still great buggies!). Parts aren't everywhere but you rarely if ever need parts. Might also want to look at the Thunder Tiger EB-4 G3. Cheap price and a nice durable buggy as well. Parts support probably isn't much better then the Ofna.
If you've got the cash, have a look at the Team Associated RC8Be kit. Probably one of the best 1/8 all round E-buggies but you do pay for it. These do have great parts support almost anywhere though.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all,

Durability/reliability
Fast and good handling
Raceability
Cost

Thanks

*Most durable/reliable
*Out of the box- fast and handles great
*Race roller!! (put electronics in it and race it)
*some aftermarket parts/but no need...(Racing tires)
*not the cheapest
**the easyest to work on!!!**
Old 12-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Tech Rookie

The answers you'll get are:

My buggy is the best. Buy this one.

My opinion:
You're a basher not a racer so keep that in mind.

Durability/reliability: HPI Vorza, Ve8, Mugen Eco, Asso RC8.2e, Kyosho MP9e, Losi 8ight-e

Fast and good handling: see above. None of them is really slow. Remember you're a basher. The slowest is the Vorza (weight), but its still a fast buggy.

Raceability: Why? You're a basher. You're racing skills will Limit your speed. Not the Car. Forget that point. Trust me.

Aftermarket Parts availability: Ask your LHS. The best you could do.

Cost: RTRs have a lower price.

Example:
Vorza: 650$ + 120$ Lipos + 60$ Charger = 830§
Mugen(or Asso or Losi or JQ + Conversion): 450$ + 120$ Lipos + 60$ Charger + BL-Set 300$ + Servo 100$ + Radio 100$ = at least 1130$
Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi all,

Durability/reliability
Fast and good handling
Raceability
Cost

Thanks
Caster Racing EX1.5R. Maybe not the most durable, fast, ect. but overall very nice and low cost buggy suitable for racing. Layout same (already 2 or 3 years) as new Serpent or Durango, but price is lower and parts cost less. Also you can look at their truggy. But I do not have one (no class here) so can not comment about it.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the castor is the worst vehicle i've owned in 25 years of racing. it broke even without wrecking. i think the longest i was able to drive it before fixing it was about 7 minutes. good design, but the plastic is absolute junk.

went to the associated and broke 3 parts in 7 months of racing every week.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ps, i have a couple castor ex1.5's for sale. hahahaha
Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Since your a basher but want it to have for racing i whould look at the HB ve8 since its cheaper than most and all together with electrics, radio etc its cheaper than most 1/8 e buggys but does your lhs carry the parts for it ?

There is always online r/c shops also to get parts if you dont have one.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Rev
the castor is the worst vehicle i've owned in 25 years of racing. it broke even without wrecking. i think the longest i was able to drive it before fixing it was about 7 minutes. good design, but the plastic is absolute junk.

I have raced my Caster for well over a year with very little breakage, you might have one of the older ones as the plastics have been changed to a new formula and are very sturdy.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

^ what he said.

Hot bodies are

Affordable
Reliable
Easy to fix
Durable
Easy to setup

Just get this one
Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

The Rev.

I find that amazingly difficult to believe unless you are driving in conditions colder than 40 degrees. I also find it difficult to believe that they are 1.5Rs also. The original fusions did have an issue with plastic being brittle, but that was in 2008/2009.

I have numerous videos and customer comments as to how Caster is one of the more durable buggies out there. Especially if you get the JR-0131 arms (that we sell to Mugen guys) and then do the battery tray mod which requires 4 special screws and t nuts.

It is by far the best mid level buggy out there to date because it is the best handling, parts are priced right, and there is a huge group of Caster supporters worldwide that will help any Caster customer with any question they have.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What type of battery's do you already have?, as there are great quality buggies out now that require 2x2s, there cheaper for hard case if you decide to race and you may already have some?

Where are you I'm assuming that you in oz by your name, you can buy direct of the importer of Durango and serpent so there good options, I've owned a hyper9e and it was a great buggy, very fast and durable and parts easy to find at lhs's or eBay have a huge range.

In my opinion I'd check with your LHS or track and see what the locals are using and what's working for them and make your decision of that, maybe they'll have good 2nd stuff for sale or at least let you have a lap of there rides to build your own opinion.

Cheers and good luck
Old 12-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Rev

Sorry to here about bad experience with Caster. I started to race two years ago with Caster 1.5 and after some upgrades to 1.5R I still race with this buggy. I wreck a lot (newbie) but buggy holds nicely. Do not say that it is ideal. I brake sometimes after hard impact. But I have seen many HB, Mugen, Ofna, HPI, AE ect. wrecking and braking. Have seen not so good parts (or engineering mistakes) in expensive kits like Durango, Serpent, JQ, ect. So there is no ideal car for sure.

O, and I am not sponsored driver or something like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.