Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chad508
Great videos. Has anyone heard of a floating servo mount that puts the servo in the normal spot? I was told one was coming but can't verify that anywhere

Sorted
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, would the newly released direct servo mount be better suited to high grip carpet tracks as opposed to the stock floating mount? Thanks.
Regards, AK
Old 06-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AKRacing
Hey guys, would the newly released direct servo mount be better suited to high grip carpet tracks as opposed to the stock floating mount? Thanks.
Regards, AK

The kit servo mount (side position) keeps the weight towards the rear of the car which gives it more steering. This setup can be tricky to drive under high traction conditions. The front floating servo mount position will move the weight forward which will make it easier to drive.

I hope this helps and sorry for the late reply.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 07-01-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

My method on how to build the VBC TBX Center Damper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFf-0t0IN6Q
Old 07-01-2016, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Ed,
Thanks for the reply, great vids as well!
Regards, Andrew K
Old 07-01-2016, 05:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
The kit servo mount (side position) keeps the weight towards the rear of the car which gives it more steering. This setup can be tricky to drive under high traction conditions. The front floating servo mount position will move the weight forward which will make it easier to drive.

I hope this helps and sorry for the late reply.

I ask because I don't understand .......

How does the weight the towards the rear give it more steering but the weight forward make it easier to drive?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Robbob

How does the weight the towards the rear give it more steering but the weight forward make it easier to drive?
1/12th scale is, and will always be a mystery to me when it comes to setup. It's not your typical suspension setup, the spring setup on a 1/12th is nothing like what you see in real life. The front springs are super,super small, which means minor changes in weight placement will have a big effect on the cars handling.

I've noticed that running the battery at the rear most position allows the front end to be nimble and quicker. I'm assuming this is due to less centrifugal force acting on the front tires. Whereas moving the battery toward does the opposite.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not everything is complicated.. ever put a few cases of soda to far forward in a shopping cart and it's hard to turn ? So you move them back and go on about your shopping: )
Old 07-11-2016, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robbob

I think I figured out a way to explain this.

It's a combination of static weight and dynamic weight. With more static weight near the front of the car to begin with, the less weight and cornering force the car will be able to transfer to the front before the slip angle and adhesion of the outside front tire is overpowered and the car is allowed to push. Also, because the weight is forward in the car, the outside rear has less force against it as well, and will tend to grip better than the front therefore keeping the rear behind the front. Because of this a small change in weight distribution toward the front can seem to take away a little steering and make the car easier to drive, but this is really only the case if the car had a lot of steering to begin with. If a car has a chronic push like, say, an old style rear-motor offroad electric buggy moving the battery forward can give more steering.

1/12 cars with excessive rear weight bias running on higher grip carpet will tend to exhibit off-power oversteer, lifting the inside rear tire at the corner apex, and even outright grip roll.

More front weight bias also allows you to run a more reactive front end setup, in which you can (if you like) use more reactive caster to gain both on and off-power steering. It also widens the front end's 'tuning window' and will let you make larger changes without completely changing the general driving characteristics of the car.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 AM
Tech Addict

1/12th scale is, and will always be a mystery to me when it comes to setup. It's not your typical suspension setup, the spring setup on a 1/12th is nothing like what you see in real life. The front springs are super,super small, which means minor changes in weight placement will have a big effect on the cars handling.

I've noticed that running the battery at the rear most position allows the front end to be nimble and quicker. I'm assuming this is due to less centrifugal force acting on the front tires. Whereas moving the battery toward does the opposite.
Originally Posted by Racermac73
Not everything is complicated.. ever put a few cases of soda to far forward in a shopping cart and it's hard to turn ? So you move them back and go on about your shopping: )
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think I figured out a way to explain this.

It's a combination of static weight and dynamic weight. With more static weight near the front of the car to begin with, the less weight and cornering force the car will be able to transfer to the front before the slip angle and adhesion of the outside front tire is overpowered and the car is allowed to push. Also, because the weight is forward in the car, the outside rear has less force against it as well, and will tend to grip better than the front therefore keeping the rear behind the front. Because of this a small change in weight distribution toward the front can seem to take away a little steering and make the car easier to drive, but this is really only the case if the car had a lot of steering to begin with. If a car has a chronic push like, say, an old style rear-motor offroad electric buggy moving the battery forward can give more steering.

1/12 cars with excessive rear weight bias running on higher grip carpet will tend to exhibit off-power oversteer, lifting the inside rear tire at the corner apex, and even outright grip roll.

More front weight bias also allows you to run a more reactive front end setup, in which you can (if you like) use more reactive caster to gain both on and off-power steering. It also widens the front end's 'tuning window' and will let you make larger changes without completely changing the general driving characteristics of the car.

Thanks guys ...... few times re reading and I get what you all mean. Even the Soda
Old 07-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Over the past weekend I did some modified 3.5 testing with the VBC Lightening 12M with the new optional floating servo mount and a prototype aluminum chassis. These changes to the servo position and chassis vastly improved the Lightening 12Ms performance. The car stayed flatter in the corners, carried a lot of corner speed, and was super easy to drive.

Really impressed with the changes and the testing results don't lie. During my testing sessions I was able to compare my lap times with other top drivers. They were running Roche, CRC, Yokomo, and Kyosho chassis'. A good chunk of the drivers running those chassis were JMRCA 1/12th stock a-main finalists. This gave me a good benchmark to compare the 12Ms speed and consistency. That said. I managed to post the fastest lap time of a 8.207! The car was super easy to drive and consistent lap after lap. I believe I can drop down into the 8.100s lala. I Just need to work on wheel and tire combinations.

I'll post my setup once I get my computer sorted out.
Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning 12-image.jpg  

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 07-11-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Here are the practice results.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Aluminum chassis 2.5 mm thick, 92 grams.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Is the aluminum chassis a McFactory piece?
Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Edward, Edward, EDWARD. !! I just ordered a 12M, and now, thanks to you sir, I must know where I can get this beautiful piece of aluminum to add to my build of the car?? You are evil for showing me this - but in a good way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.