Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hows Nitro doing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Slider30250
The motor limit and or battery discharge limits would level the playing field. There's a reason that we have engine displacement limits in nitro so that you in theory won't be able to out power everybody to the win. It's hard to overcome a power to weight ratio that's at least 1/3 greater than what you can achieve on your best day, it should be about driver skill.

true it should be about the driver , but with engines there should be any limit but in electric there should be because, guys who are new that race in a sportster class are out of control with them. i race in a sportster class by the way.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I don't think anyone from So Cal wants to admit it but Nitro is dying a slow death. It won't die completely but the numbers are dropping.

Electric 1/10th scale especially Short Course is really becoming popular.

Hemet has lead the way with short course in the I.E. and is drawing 75+ entries on a Friday night and its SCT ONLY!

I just heard Thunder Alley is looking at a possible Electric/SCT night during each week.

ARC maybe adding electrics to their Nitro program on Saturdays.

And recently Pegasus's track was just taken over by West Coast RC.

Electric is back...... and is getting as big as it was in the early 90's.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by plus2ss
This does suck. I think SC is killing nitro in general. Ive raced at the same track as the chad man, and it seems that people are going nuts over bragging rights as to who is the faster with a SC truck. I think its just a fad and hope it burns out soon so we can get more nitro attendance.
Having been in this hobby/industry for near 35 years, I can tell you that SCT is here to stay. Something has to give and with the cost of nitro racing the first casualty will be Truggy. My prediction is that Truggy will go the way of Gas Truck in 2011.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I don't think anyone from So Cal wants to admit it but Nitro is dying a slow death. It won't die completely but the numbers are dropping.

Electric 1/10th scale especially Short Course is really becoming popular.

Hemet has lead the way with short course in the I.E. and is drawing 75+ entries on a Friday night and its SCT ONLY!

I just heard Thunder Alley is looking at a possible Electric/SCT night during each week.

ARC maybe adding electrics to their Nitro program on Saturdays.

And recently Pegasus's track was just taken over by West Coast RC.

Electric is back...... and is getting as big as it was in the early 90's.

maybe it is but in diffrent states, nitro is more popular and electric is in certain states. thats the way i see it.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Having been in this hobby/industry for near 35 years, I can tell you that SCT is here to stay. Something has to give and with the cost of nitro racing the first casualty will be Truggy. My prediction is that Truggy will go the way of Gas Truck in 2011.

na i think truggy will stay maybe not, in certain states and the tracks there.
in pa truggys are pretty big still at club tracks.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i could see more advancments in nitro engine technology pushing the nitro's past electrics again.

nitro engines are getting better all the time.

Maybe R.O.A.R. Could lift some restrictions. I have seen some modded motors that can hang neck and neck with the best brushless.

we will silently come back. We have to. I hate electrics. BORRING!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

During the week I head out to the other tracks in my area and run some laps and a truggy is a very rare sight. Even at some of the supposed to be larger nitro races there is only a few left. Just a few years ago tuggy's were booming here and there was about a 50/50 between buggy and truggy now its more like tuggy is 2% and buggy is 10% and SC is 88%. Dont get me wrong.... I have a SC truck but I dont like the idea of having to leave my buggy on the shelf so I can go race my SC.. I would rather be able to take both to the track. But NO.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I have a story for you guys:

At our track we have to race electric and nitro together due to time. One race we had about four electric buggies and three nitro buggies. Well, the tq belonged to a nitro guy. At the start of the main we had the nitro guy up front and four electric buggies behind him. When the flag was raised tq went to last place. The electrics (some geared for 45+mph) shot past him like he was standing still and took him out in the first turn. I still think that the "down and quiet" was to long. Luckily, the guy managed for a hard fought second place.

Nitro can run with electric, but it depends on the track! We have a tight track and you need a lot of bottom end. There are sections were the electrics can quad stuff that the nitros can only dream about. On tracks that are more open where the nitro motors can stay in the upper rpm range and long straits the nitros can pull away. On small track electrics dominate. Also, running against the electrics forces you to drive better.

I have raced my buggy in both nitro and electric form I was .5 second faster per lap with the electric, but I like the nitro car. Nitro cars have maintenance and tuning you have to preform, but refueling beats changing batteries any day of the week!!!! Let's not forget run-time especially if you want to practice. The buggy is also lighter and a better balance.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Nitro has all but died in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Electrics have boomed. Short Course has quickly became the most popular class. It is not uncommon to have 4 of 8 heats electric to be filled by SC. I used to thing the SC's were just rolling roadblocks with the aerodynamics of a brick until I broke down and bought one

If you can't beat'm, join em.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Prophet

]I have a story for you guys:

At our track we have to race electric and nitro together due to time. One race we had about four electric buggies and three nitro buggies. Well, the tq belonged to a nitro guy. At the start of the main we had the nitro guy up front and four electric buggies behind him. When the flag was raised tq went to last place. The electrics (some geared for 45+mph) shot past him like he was standing still and took him out in the first turn. I still think that the "down and quiet" was to long. Luckily, the guy managed for a hard fought second place.

yea thats true electrics whould have, a advandge on a tight techinal small track but the driver, still has to be able to drive it.

most 1/8 tracks though are big and wide open.

Nitro can run with electric, but it depends on the track! We have a tight track and you need a lot of bottom end. There are sections were the electrics can quad stuff that the nitros can only dream about. On tracks that are more open where the nitro motors can stay in the upper rpm range and long straits the nitros can pull away. On small track electrics dominate. Also, running against the electrics forces you to drive better.

I have raced my buggy in both nitro and electric form I was .5 second faster per lap with the electric, but I like the nitro car. Nitro cars have maintenance and tuning you have to preform, but refueling beats changing batteries any day of the week!!!! Let's not forget run-time especially if you want to practice. The buggy is also lighter and a better balance.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by rfleck
Nitro has all but died in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Electrics have boomed. Short Course has quickly became the most popular class. It is not uncommon to have 4 of 8 heats electric to be filled by SC. I used to thing the SC's were just rolling roadblocks with the aerodynamics of a brick until I broke down and bought one

If you can't beat'm, join em.

why did the nitro die where you are in texas ?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
i could see more advancments in nitro engine technology pushing the nitro's past electrics again.

nitro engines are getting better all the time.

Maybe R.O.A.R. Could lift some restrictions. I have seen some modded motors that can hang neck and neck with the best brushless.

we will silently come back. We have to. I hate electrics. BORRING!
I agree! A feasible and practical fuel injection system and liquid cooling. I seen the liquid cool motor.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
thats all about the driver man if, there faster or not with a electric if you arent to great at driving electric it wont be faster.
I knew everyone would stand up for nitro here & thats cool, I love nitro, I wish there were more of them around here! In my statement above I was simply stating that at MY track, with the guys I race with, we are all pretty much faster with electric. There are a couple of "newer" guys that race the truggy class, but most of us have been racing for 10 - 20 years! It is a really tightly matched class with some very good drivers (including sponsered guys).

If you take 10 guys & let them all have 2 laps with each truck, back to back elec. / nitro, all by youself, with no others trucks on the track & the electric is a consistant 1 - 2 seconds quicker for 9 out of 10 guys. Its a pretty safe bet, that the electric is the better / smoother of the 2 powerplants. Keep in mind this is at MY track & yours may be differant!

Trust me, I would rather race nitro than electric, but if I'm in a 15 minute main & the guys that I usually run neck & neck with beat me by a full lap when we both had very consistant races, I'd say they had the advantage & I have to go electric just to keep pace! If electric had stayed in 1/10th scale where it belongs, this wouldn't even be an issue!

Fuel injection is the next step for nitro's & I personally can't wait!

Oh yea, I seen that liquid cooled motor as well, very neat stuff, but now it's time for nitro technology to catch up with the electrics.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by tiger200350
I agree! A feasible and practical fuel injection system and liquid cooling. I seen the liquid cool motor.

$$$$ thats all i have to say lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nitro seems to be going strong around here, but the 1/10 scene seems to be booming along with the SCTs.

Nitros problem seems to be one of cost (I race electric 1/8 and it ain't cheaper either) along with the impracticality of needing tracks out in the middle of the sticks due to the noise pollution. If you already live out in the sticks, I guess this isn't an issue, but a lot of racers around here live in more urban and populated environments and having to drive 60 miles to get to a track out in the middle of some farmer's cornfield to race weekly when gas is pushing $4/gallon too makes it that much more inconvenient.

This is just my perspective racing in Illinois.

We race electric and nitro together here has there really isn't enough e-1/8s to warrant a seperate class entirely or at least consistently at the races although the ranks are growing. I suspect we will see more electrics in the coming winter versus the summer.

I don't think nitro mills will ever surpass the advancements electric has made now. Electric was held back purely from the battery side which has finally caught up and is advancing exponentially every year. This isn't to say one is better than the other, but a motor cannot put out the same amount of torque/hp as an electric motor. I don't are who mods it. The mechanics of an engine are just not efficient at power delivery.
Mechanical things cannot advance at the same rate as electronics.

However, in offroad, power is not everything and does not make one faster. As it is now, electric drivers in 1/8 are trying to figure out how to make the power displacement more manageable through clutches, slippers, and better ESC programming. After three years of tinkering around with electric 1/8, my car is no where near as fast on the straights as many of the better nitros now. I have learned to balance the power with the need for longer run times and the bottom line is the racers are won on the curves and jumps, not the straights.

I like nitros and I am sure they will remain popular.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.