Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD >

1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD

1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD

Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default 1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD

Yesterday, at Store location I had bumped the random who own the 1/10 scale on-road with 2WD AND BL motor. I watched him drive 2WD onroad tc car on parking lot. I was like, wow its sooo fast! I asked him, what kind of that car. he says cyclone with 2WD. I don't believe him and I looked his (cyclone) r/c car and notice one drive belt attached in rear within between motor and Spur Gear, there is no drive belt connect in the front differential and spur gear. Only drive belt in rear attached motor and spur gear. thats amazing! He dislike 2 belts in his R/C car makes 4 WD.

Do you think 2WD onroad TC is very fast and more handle than 4WD?

You would forgive me, If my english is bad structure. But My best I can.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

It depends on the layout of the car. Here's mine. Don
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD-p1010001.jpg   1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD-p1010002.jpg   1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD-p1010003.jpg   1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD-p1010004.jpg   1/10 On-Road Electric 2WD v.s 4WD-p1010005.jpg  

Old 01-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

I saw the random's R/C car is cyclone, that what He removed the front belt and he made his car running 2WD with BRUSHLESS MOTOR as picture below:

Originally Posted by DLS II
wow, Honestly, your rc car is sooo beautiful! You made own chassis and bumper, so I like your own creative! anyway, you drive that car which can handle curve and corner while fast-speed, hows handle it?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks, it handles very much like a pan car. Weight is 46 oz(1300 grams). Two thirds of the cars' weight is to the rear. I had a lot of fun designing and building it. It is very efficient with the direct drive. I need to get it on an indoor carpet track to finish evaluating it. Don
Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

At my local racing track, any factory kit TC with 3.5T brushless and high-end match pack (4200) battery; the top speed close to 5 port 1/10th gas car. Only when the 2nd gear engaged gas car little bit faster…may be less than 5% faster. No way, the current TC can come close to 1/8 ….but pancar with 3.5T brushless show she can do it if not faster.

If TC too fast its looks unreal….but with LeMans body shield it’s design for it…

I feel that TC now closing to their physical limit with current tech for further improves. We can find that TC layout more became similar. High grade material was used. But when come to pancar or rear wheel drive rc …that different story. Current pancar is more designed for carpet track…there are some limitation for asphalt…only prepared track are worthy.

I believe the current pancar or 2wd as long as RWD…only about at 40% of their potential (just my thinking). Another 60% still can be explore to further improve.

One of the factors is weight distribution. From my finding (reading)…overall the best weight distribution (WD) for F1 is F/R: 35/65. This can be applied to RWD rc. I did some testing WD with my car…proven.

Area can be improves…fully adjustable independent suspension, front braking, anti roll, bar (F/R), lowered suspension, adjustable for front & rear, (toe in, camber, body roll, damping rate, etc), right, drop stop etc. Actually all these thing already available for high-end TC, but the different for RWD is the design approach, everything should be lowered especially the shock absorber position…in simple word everything must be lower than the wheel…with the current ESC and brushless motor rear traction control just at our finger tip…. That the advantages of EP

With all adjustability, the total weight close to TC but with involvement of manufacturer the weight should be 20% to 30% less TC.

Anyway this is for Posterity. Maybe one day a manufacturer will try it.
Advantages are
No blowovers at track speeds on a bumpy straight.
10% more speed and traction through a bumpy straight.
5% better lap times than standard designs. 1 second is a lot on a 20 second lap.
much fewer spinouts due to better rear traction.
Faster corner exit from generous antisquat.
I feel the similar advantage with my car only I don’t have lap counter to check the time.

With RWD, its just feel and looks like real racing car….when I watching racing in the TV such as F1 or Indy or Japan GT or LeMans or A1 or Porsche race or any similar racing car….I feel like driving my RWD rc….coz the characteristic very similar to RWD rc in term of racing line and car behavior…with great rear traction and very aggressive acceleration higher top speed…the racing line similar to motoGP or any RWD racing car…if it’s the car nervous during entry or exit corner…the rc car react similar to them…wow….

Thats what I looking for in rc car…for me the level of satisfaction is higher than TC

The simplicity of RWD or pancar just a bonus…at the end…cost getting higher when we want to be very competitive with our car….

For sure I will buy this kind of RWD rc car even after retirement…

I will post my car pic soon
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

The quote is from John Stranahan...since I think I have the same approach...only he using solid axle..
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

So far still not be able to upload the pic. Any tips?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The car look's great!!! I like the whole set up...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks, I still have more testing to do- but from the running in the street I've done it should work extremely well in stock class. I just got the 17.5 and have yet to run it. With the 10.5 it was pretty quick. Don
Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'm making a custom 2wd car for my final DT project enxt year. how does it handle with no suspension?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

I've always thought that TCs were designed with limited traction from spec tires in mind, hence the 4-wheel-drive. How well does a 1/10 pan car design work with 24 mm rubber tires?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

I learn their experinces and feedbacks. Ahh Interesting. oval and onroad 2wd pancar class. But I talk about ON ROAD 2WD TC class. why not there have 2wd tc class and 4wd tc class for racing?

Because I like the R/C 2WD CAR in old time. I want the 2WD car productions and racing back from past to this present!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by joe of loath
how does it handle with no suspension?
Yes I notice DLS's photo to make me wonder.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, take a close look at the rear end- it has shock damped IRS. The front end is pan car (AS 10l) with some Traxxas parts added to be able to run standard TC wheels and tires. I also designed it to be ROAR compliant. Don

Last edited by DLS II; 01-30-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, take a close look at the rear end- it has shock damped IRS. The front end is pan car (AS 10l) with some Traxxas parts added to be able to run standard TC wheels and tires. I also designed it to be ROAR compliant. Don
lol pretty obvious! i was looking at the side on pic. i dind't think to look at rear one.

i notice you have enough space for 10 cells

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.