Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New guy to RC...needs all the help I can get! >

New guy to RC...needs all the help I can get!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New guy to RC...needs all the help I can get!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile New guy to RC...needs all the help I can get!

Hey guys just wanted to first say hello to everyone! Looks like a very informative site here and glad i joined. I have been looking for some time at getting into RC racing. I know alot about full scale racing cars so im hoping some of that translates to RC racing. What i was wondering can anyone give me a good idea where to start in getting a decent reliable Late model car to start with? Would it be best to build a kit from scratch or get something prebuilt? Again new to this so all this stuff is like reading greek for me...any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Welcome! It sounds like you're a car guy by reading what you wrote. Many people will tell you building is better because you will know how.If you want to learn by, "plug and play" RTR is the way to go. You're going to hear lots about batteries ie:Lipo, Nicd, Nimh and chargers, charge rate, plugs, AC/DC plugs, upgrades, Radios, etc, etc, etc. My first kit car I built was a Tamiya Mini Cooper, stuck a big ol 2s 4000 Lipo battery in it, changed bushings to bearings, stock tires from rubber to foams, gearing, learned how to drive the thing and learned to "hold on" when you gave it the throttle. Probably your best bet would be to check out diff hobby shops (either on line or at a track) and see what you like then maybe someone here can help you better.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Personally I would say get some thing that looks kewl, and then run it right away, get your feet wet.. that way you can either deciede that car is crap and you will have reasons why, and you will look for another car that will fit your needs better. Or you might really like that car and you can have fun upgrading it.. Let me tell you one thing about this hobby be prepared to just dump your wallet a couple times.. if your just gonna get the cheapest of every thing your never gonna be happy. So just get some thing used that is built and develop your own opinions.. just stick to the big names and you can't go wrong.. Most important have fun doing it, or put it down for a while and come back later..
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Welcome
I've also just joined this forum but have been into the hobby for years, it is very informative. Also alot of things will carry over, Caster,Chamber,Toe for example carry over, so if you have a prior knowledge of suspension geometry thats always a plus. Also if your old school an know about carb's that will help,sadly the RC world hasn't caught on to EFI yet lol. Also theres 2 sides of this hobby, Nitro or electric, thats a personal choice, these days the electrics an keep with if not pass the nitro's plus theres no tuning for different weather conditions. Personally I've never had a late model car, I'll assume your saying late model an is dirt oval racing, I know there are a few different ones out there, Team Losi makes a little one I've seen at my local hobby shop [LHS] also there is a company called Custom Works that makes dirt oval cars, never had any expierience with the company but I know they make the car style you seem to be interested in.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Champion

Whatever car you choose, keep the instruction manual to hand for any repairs or changes you need to make to it, and take your time building it.

Have fun!