Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with a vintage rerelease?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default What to do with a vintage rerelease?

I was very lucky to score a brand new mint ARTR Kyosho Shelby 427 S/C when Kyosho launched their nostalgically car series. I got it at a steal brand new with original box/papers, and all the parts and hardware. The car was properly built. The body was uncut and virgin, so I just mounted it up and made sure it fit properly. The paint mask was still there and the car unpainted.

I tore the PureTen EP Mantis 2wd chassis apart to check for any transmission gear wear, and indeed the seller really was telling the truth when he said it's never been ran.

It comes with a rather large Kyosho brushed motor, but even the motor was still brand new from just turning it by hand. Hooked up an Esc to test and gobs of torque.

The car does has a bit of sentimental value, but I'd rather take cash.

Should I finish up the car, paints, driver, decals, etc? Then try to sell or sell as is so the new owner has his own paint choices?

Right now it just has a stock Associated metal geared servo, Tamiya 2s capable Esc with LVC. Probably either leave those in and take out my mini Futaba rx.

I've seen finished ones sell on eBay for $500+....never seen an unfinished for sale!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

If you want to sell it don't build it for sure. Would be worth alot more.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

1. Run the snot out of it
2. Keep it as a shelf queen for yourself
3. Don't touch it anymore and sell it for big bucks.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Funny thing is I would run the snot out of it but lexan bodies back then are half as strong as they are today lol! On top of that there's not even your typical shock suspension layout. Just A arms with a wire twisted on both sides next to the hinge pins to absorb shocks, but nothing to dampen any bumps. Oh and it's rear wheel drive lol! I wonder what other modes can fit on it....also worried about the transmission gears for replacements if they even make any anymore. I think back in 96 was when Kyosho rereleased the Shelby 427 S/C.