Wiki Posts
Search

TA05 essentials for VTA racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TA05 essentials for VTA racing

I am considering the TA05 for indoor VTA carpet racing.

I used the great mini site: http://rcmini.nfshost.com/MiniWeb_Online/Main.html
to get the essentials for my M03L and I saved alot of money vs buying the
M03R.

Is there a site out there that details the TA05 essentials for racing?
If not, what areas of the TA05 should I replace for indoor carpet VTA.

Thanks
matt
Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I would stick with a box stock basic plastic kit. It has the TA04 style arms so you don't have to run the wide hexes/spacers on the front wheels to get them to clear the steering knuckles, and it's pretty much indestructable. If I had extra $$ to add for hop ups, I'd go with cvds all the way around, a front one way, and a spring set. You really don't need much else.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

great, thats the info I needed.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Funny you should ask. I recently finished rebuilding 2 of them for my son and I.

I will say I started with the 'R' version. Using that as a basis, I visited my track this weekend and was told box stock set up would be good starting point.

Only thing I say you might want would be the TRF Shocks, you can find them for a decent price. But I never had the plastic stock ones so I don't know how well or poorly they perform.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Theres a range of prices for the non-ifs TA05 on towerhobbies. Are the different prices for the kits because of the body? Are the chassis the same?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by webdr
I am considering the TA05 for indoor VTA carpet racing.

I used the great mini site: http://rcmini.nfshost.com/MiniWeb_Online/Main.html
to get the essentials for my M03L and I saved alot of money vs buying the
M03R.

Is there a site out there that details the TA05 essentials for racing?
If not, what areas of the TA05 should I replace for indoor carpet VTA.

Thanks
matt
I started running two TA-05's at the end of July this year outdoor and started indoor in Sept. One in Vintage and the other on 27T Stock Touring. Yup, I'm a newb but I wanted to get in on the action without shelling out a bunch of $$$. Got rid of the Tamiya motor for a Trinity Monster Pro 27T. Converted over to 64 pitch gears. Run a 104 spur with a 41,42, or 43 pinion and you'll be right in there. I changed out the original shock for the Yeah Racing shocks. Way cheaper than the Tamiya aluminum versions. I did have to modify the shock mount though, and am currenty going to upgrade to the carbon version shock mounts. I had to use a shim washer on the front wheels to space the plastic hex for the wheel out from hitting the ball end turn buckle thing. This past weekend I relpaced the washer shim with the Yeah Racing Hex spacer 6.5mm on the fronts only and it solved the rubbing issues. Use Jack The Gripper for grip in door! I just raced my first big regional this weekend and made it into the 27t stock A-Main Vintage, B-Main Touring Rubber. Haven't broken anything yet but I seem to shred though bodies in about 6-8 race weekends. Good luck, you'll do fine.

Tower Hobbies, RC Mart and 2 local RC Shops have been my sources for parts. Between those sources I've had no problems aquiring the Tamiya or after market parts I need.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Theres a range of prices for the non-ifs TA05 on towerhobbies. Are the different prices for the kits because of the body? Are the chassis the same?
If I may make a suggestion, since you don't already have a car, go to EBay and search for TA05R. I saw a TA05r and TA05IFS R for $250, some of the kit prices at tower for plain ones are only $50-70 cheaper, but you do get a lot of nice hop ups with the 'R' version, the shocks alone make it worth the extra $50.

Also look used, I bought one of my 'R's for $78 with a spool and the other for $125 with a one and some spare parts.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I think the base versions are around $100 from tower hobbies - and you get a body/wheels/tires(not for VTA use...but nice to have), and a basic electronic speedo/540J motor. I have a TA05R myself, but if I had to do it over again, I would just get the basic kit and add the upgrades I mentioned eariler. The stock plastic shocks aren't that bad, but you could go with the TRF Tamiya versions, or places like 3 racing make "clone" versions for 1/2 the price. No matter which version you decide to go with, you can't go wrong with a TA05. At my local track, they are pretty much the dominant chassis in the Trans Am class.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Racer-X the reason I suggested the 'R' is if you look at tower, the cheapest I see is $170 and as you said, thats giving you tires and a body you dont need.

I don't know. One of the my car came with the Yeah racing shocks. Personally didn't think they were as nice, consider it's only 10-15 cheaper.

By the way you can get parts from some Ebay shops in Japan a lot cheaper.

I purchased a one-way and the TI screw kit and few other things, only paided $14 in shipping and had in them 7 days.

Saved a ton even with the shipping.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

The stock plastic toe blocks can pop out the hinge pin on one too many board taps. I replaced mine with the Tamiya blue alloy ones and had no issues since.

If you cant afford 2 sets of CVDs in one go, just get the front ones changed to start with, then upgrade the rear as and when, putting the new in the front and the used existing ones in the rear.

Having used my ta05 for 2 years of hard racing, the only things I would consider essential are the driveshafts, toe blocks and shocks, in that order.

As I was racing foam, I went for a 3racing chassis and the graphite shock towers too, but I wouldnt bother for a class like VTA. I like the feel of a spool too, so I got one in.

hth
Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Good info guys. Thanks. Ive found the TA05R for 226 new on a site. I may just bite the bullett and get the race.
I had the TB02R last year for drifting and loved it. Maybe the R is the way to go for me.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Email this eBay seller. I think he has one brand new TA05 IFS-R left for $199.99 with very reasonable shipping costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=021
Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was in the same boat as you, looking at the Tamiya cars for my boy to start with VTA. I ended up getting him an old Losi off of Epay for ~$80 with everything. I figure that if he likes it I will get him a better/newer car. The only thing that worries me is damage....getting parts could be hard....but if you don't know if he is going to like it I don't want to shell out the $$$ for a total new setup.

I let him drive my stock buggy last night, and he loved it...up to this point all he has driven is the slash.....I think I created a monster
Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

u want an IFSR setup for trans am already with 1 TCS race on it and thats it? wheels/tires/body ready to go. 4 cell batts too. lemme know.

R
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Good info guys. Thanks. Ive found the TA05R for 226 new on a site. I may just bite the bullett and get the race.
I had the TB02R last year for drifting and loved it. Maybe the R is the way to go for me.
If you don't go used, for $225 I would take the 'R' over the $170 stock.

Like the above poster mentioned and I forgot, you get CVDs, Aluminum suspension mounts and shocks and light weight reversable suspension. Plus a few more for $50, can't beat that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.