Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
novak super rooster >

novak super rooster

novak super rooster

Old 02-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default novak super rooster

i just found out i can only use 6-10 cells on the sr. now with the a 12th scale car its nearly inpossible to fit 6 cells and it so i want to run 4 cells with my 12l3. is there a way to alter the esc or would it be unsafe to run 4cells and why? would 6cells on a stocker be the same as a 15t on 4cell? this suxs.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Hello,
The Super Rooster will not be damaged by using less than 4 cells. But the ESC's Radio Priority circuitry is designed for 6 cells so you may not be able to get the full charge out of the pack before the RP kicks in. There is no damage, but it doesn't really work perfectly in that respect.

Almost forgot,

Anytime you need any assitane with Novak Products, you can always email us directly for information. We have some usefull technical data on our website as well, but we answer emails really quick most times.

Thanks for you time,
Chalie Suangka
Novak Electronics
949-833-8873
www.teamnovak.com
Old 02-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

so it won't ruin it but i can still run 4 cells but the reciver might not recive enough power. scould i use a seprat battery to power the radio?i just want to use 4 cells not less then 4 is that what charlie meant to say? what do u mean by rp and full charge out of a pack?
Old 02-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Regional Moderator

what he is saying is that the esc will shut off power to the motor before the voltage drops too low to run the receiver while the motor is drawing power. with 4 cells, you will reach this point much sooner since you are starting from a lower pack voltage.

maybe he can enlighten us on what that point is for the cyclone family. I couldn't find anything on the novak site.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

how much time am i lossing from a 3000 pack? could i use a 4cell AA batery pack to power the reciver like in nitro cehicals?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Regional Moderator

i don't think powering the receiver with a separate pack makes a difference. It depends on what is being used to trigger the cutoff. as for how much time you will lose on a given pack, once you know the cutoff voltage, it just a matter of getting the discharge curves of V vs T for your batts. it will be different for every pack and will depend on track, charge, etc. there are many threads for estimating the avg. current draw for your driving style. once you know that, just discharge the packs close to that current draw and note the time to that voltage. It won't be exact but will give you an idea.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Hello,
I think you emailed me about this (Thanks) but your email would not allow a reply.

So, I meant with 4 Cells, not less. Runtime would be slightly less, how much is hard to say. I'm not exactly sure if a Receiver pack will help or not. I will check with engineering and get back to you.

I've used the Super Rooster with 4 cells. I have to say it works fairly well. Runtime is not effect by much, as the minimum operating of receivers is fairly low anyway.

Thanks,
Charlie Suangka
Novak Electronics,
949-833-8873
www.teamnovak.com
Old 02-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

70MPH pan car.

Where do you fit a Super Rooster in a 1/12th pan car?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

it will fit on its side or when there is 4 cells i can lie down, also is can be mounted on top of the servo or rear pod abouve the motor. i haven't got the car yet and don't know for sure but i think that is all the places it will fit.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

70mph - ok, I hate to be the one to shoot it down, but a Super Rooster is not going to be your best choice for a 12th scale - they are too big. It will NOT fit on top of the motor plate, or on top of the servo - there just isn't room inside of a body. Typically the ESC sits next to the servo in a 12th scale.

Charlie - you going to make it out for the Cactus?? The zapper might have to make a return... besides, Evicerator doesn't remember what happened!!!

Regards,
Wilde
Old 02-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

i understand just i'll have to make it work somehow i guess. i don't have money to spend on a new esc. maybe there will be room whn useing 4 cells. thanks
Old 02-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default darn

the motor dosen't get any power when using 4 cells. plus there is no room when using 6 cells. darn. what should i do??????
Old 02-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

I made 6 cell packs and fited my sr in some how. my esc is getting power and the steering works but the motor dosen't get any power even on a newly chargered pack. it work with other a stick pack that i hooked up but when i solder the other saddle pack on the motor dosen't work. what could be wrong? i now the esc isn't broken so could it be not enough voltage even with 6 cells? can u give me suggestions on what to try.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Does the LED change colors like it's supposed to? If it's just red the whole time, check the RX and make sure the ESC is plugged into channel 2.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

yes it changes.