Spec-R Gear diff review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R Gear diff review

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default serpent front and rear gear diffs???

HI All,

I ve seen that serpent are testing with gear diffs front and rear, has any tried this and what would you expect to happen? Since no one really ran balls diff all round unless it was high grip carpet I just wondered if any one had been trying this??

Serpent seam to think its worth a try!!

cheers
Old 07-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by michael.branth
HI All,

I ve seen that serpent are testing with gear diffs front and rear, has any tried this and what would you expect to happen? Since no one really ran balls diff all round unless it was high grip carpet I just wondered if any one had been trying this??

Serpent seam to think its worth a try!!

cheers
Gear diff in the front with a thicker oil will give more corner entry steering than a spool without sacrificing the strong pull out of the corner that the spool has.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Gear diff in the front with a thicker oil will give more corner entry steering than a spool without sacrificing the strong pull out of the corner that the spool has.
I was wondering the same thing. I'm seriously thinking of trying this out. I know I'm one of the few people left who likes running a one way more so than a spool. But since the spool is what was included I have stuck with it. So how thick should the oil be if running the diff up front...30K?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I was wondering the same thing. I'm seriously thinking of trying this out. I know I'm one of the few people left who likes running a one way more so than a spool. But since the spool is what was included I have stuck with it. So how thick should the oil be if running the diff up front...30K?
I have the micro pro diff, so I'm not sure how much difference there would be, but I ran 50k up front and felt that it was too soft. I think somewhere between 70k and 100k will work, depending on grip level and track layout. 50k didn't pull through the chicane very well and felt like the front end was floating through. I only ran it for about 10 minutes though, so maybe car setup could have corrected that. IDK.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Yeh, I am with you, I ve never really liked driving with a spool so an alternative is of interest to me. Not sure how to test as I only have 1 gear diff, I think I will start with a ball diff in the front but run it v tight ( 8th of a turn back off locked)

let me know if any one else ends up doing similar,

cheers
Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Provided it doesn't lift it's inside wheel etc and lose some of the exit grip due to one of the wheels spinning up.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Provided it doesn't lift it's inside wheel etc and lose some of the exit grip due to one of the wheels spinning up.
I agree. I know that it's going to lose some of the forward traction, but it won't "diff out" as easily as a ball diff with the thicker oils. I'm already seeing that to be true. The car is easier to drive as well. The clock wasn't on to show definitive results but the car definitely felt better. Still more testing to do.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

I ran the gear diff in the rear for the first time this weekend with 1000cst exceed oil. The car felt like it had slightly more steering at corner entry and about the same steering coming out of the corner.

If the inside wheel got too light however the car would tend to diff out and drive inconsistantly from time to time. I know you can remidy this with thicker oil but I don't want to loose the entry steering...

Have you guys tried a higher rear roll centre to stop the inner wheel from lifting or more droop at the rear?

Just some initial thoughts. Lots more testing to be done yet.

Mike
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

At practice yesterday one of The local Xray mod guys broke 2 of these Diffs running 4.5 Lipo. Wish Xray would hurry up and sort one out for us T3 users.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
At practice yesterday one of The local Xray mod guys broke 2 of these Diffs running 4.5 Lipo. Wish Xray would hurry up and sort one out for us T3 users.
This was nothing to do with the quality of the diffs, he was just seeing how far he could push it to get the best results He sanded the gears quite heavilly to free it up a bit more and this was what caused the problems
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
Is there any plans for a gear diff for the TC5?, or does anyone know of a diff that fits the TC5?.. I am able to change the pulley orientation on the layshaft to match other cars, but i am needing to find a diff that fits the back..
Hi Moontrap...

A guy im racing with has a TC5, with a photon gear diff.... Its basically fits... Stick a few shims on it... Job done.....
Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

So is any oen near a base set-up for diff oil with front and rear gears?

I am thinking 100wt front 60wt rear for 10.5 rubber tyre carpet?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

So is any oen near a base set-up for diff oil with front and rear gears?

I am thinking 100wt front 60wt rear for 10.5 rubber tyre carpet?
Try 300,000 Front and 100,000 Rear

Medium Traction carpet
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 008-Racer
Try 300,000 Front and 100,000 Rear

Medium Traction carpet
do you mean 30'000 front, I can not find any 300'000 and that would make the front looser right?

cheers
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

do you mean 30'000 front, I can not find any 300'000 and that would make the front looser right?

cheers
Xray do a 300,000 diff oil and 100,000 diff oil

We had a chap at a local indoor track supposedly running the above weights and looked very good

Front was stiff but would turn nice and slowly, and the rear felt like a normal diff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.