Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Innovative idea or just plain stupid??? You tell me. >

Innovative idea or just plain stupid??? You tell me.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Innovative idea or just plain stupid??? You tell me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

VERY well put brother...

I fully understand the physics. I also understand that by increasing the overall weight of the arms that their ability to respond to directional changes is diminished.

However Onroad cars aren't jumping and moving like offroad cars, they simply move and flex on their suspensions in response to lateral and fore/aft G-loading. Therefore a small increase in unsprung weight shouldn't have too adverse of an effect.

I would imagine that it would harm an offroad cars handling much more.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I seem to remember some cars in the earily days of touring sedans actually came from the factory with the shocks mounted this way.

Also .1-.3....... you'd be lucky if you can see a .01-.03 second gain...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Without going into deep theory (which doesnt do anything unless you get results on the track).

Why doesnt any of the World Class RC drivers do that to their cars? If it really gives them 0.1-0.3 seconds each lap.. it would really count for them.

I rest my case.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

true.. true...

better go on and practice...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Entropy
Without going into deep theory (which doesnt do anything unless you get results on the track).

Why doesnt any of the World Class RC drivers do that to their cars? If it really gives them 0.1-0.3 seconds each lap.. it would really count for them.

I rest my case.
I simply proposed that perhaps it's never been thought of before.

However I really give a flip what the "World Class" RC drivers do, if they all smoked crack to reduce lap times, would I???

Besides, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Following the leader all the time does nothing but teach you how to follow.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

if they all smoked crack to reduce lap times, would I???
that's not the same dude
Old 05-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

i used to race motorcycles, in the late 80's the shocks on the bikes were upside down, when the tech on the bikes improved they started inverting the shocks, (big side up) they found this to be stiffer, witch in racing of course is very important, if you look at the high tech bikes and cars for that matter they are all done big side up, only the plush cruiser bikes were performance isnt an issue are the "upside down"
Old 05-11-2005, 07:58 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Didn't Massami Hirosaka try this once? At a worlds event in the late 80's or early 90's?

I'd say unless the track is VERY flat and smooth there would be performance loss running the shocks upside down for the very reasons stated by Spud.

Let us know how it works.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This was a very old trick done with the original RC10 gold tub chassis

Hell, it could work with tourers...But like someone else said, the shock cap could interferred too much on some chassis
Old 05-11-2005, 08:52 AM
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There's at least one car that comes out of the box with it's shocks mounted upside down (since 1998). So I'd say your idea is neither innovative nor plain stupid.

http://www.smp-slide.ch/product.htm
Old 05-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default reedy race

charlie suanka and i have been running our shocks that way for years...most people were asking what up with that? we told them that when the mother ship comes to scoop up the humans they will take us ...shocks up -side down is the the only way to fly.
tamiya shocks work really good this way, if you wer at the reedy last you could have seen us do very well ...he won i got third it works kids for sure ......not a stupid at all just DUNN IT ALREADY...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Custom Works cars like the Dominator and Intimidator from the late 80's and early 90's had their Delta shocks mounted "upside down", as well as those on the Trinity Reflex 10. Delta shocks are a different breed from what we run in touring cars today, though.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Wow...kinda neat to see that what you think is an "original" idea has actually been tried out on a widespread basis.

Kinda reminds me of what an old professor said once about the Zipper:

"It's not that impressive of an invention, as someone, somewhere would of eventually thought of it."
Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

As unspung mass increases, greater inertia builds in the suspension system, SLOWING DOWN its ability to respond to fast direction changes and degrading traction due to the reduced ability of the suspension to control the minute and high pitched occilations you see on the tyre surface contact patch with the road.

This is correct. Placing the shocks upside down will increase the rotational inertia of the suspension arms and therefore the movement of the suspension will be slower and less responsive.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

wait a second.... last time i had my xray posted with the shocks upside down because that was the only way they fit, most of the guys laughed at me and said it was a bad idea i should fix that.... so why when a guy throws in a couple physics terms in its a considerable idea all of a sudden? you people who shot mine down when i had them inverted... were they even thinking before they posted that it was bad?
another small point people havent mentioned is for people who run their shocks leaned in alot. the weight is farther from the center of the car than the normal way too.
personally i never noticed a difference in handling from when i had them inverted to now how i have them normally but im still real new to this stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.