Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic E4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Where might I be able to find a steel battery tray? I'm way light right now and that would be perfect.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Where might I be able to find a steel battery tray? I'm way light right now and that would be perfect.
I am working on making some steel and brass trays.
I will keep everyone posted as things progress. Here's a pic of the tray I have for my car and some pics I said I would post of my hubs. (no bearing slop at all)
Attached Thumbnails Team Magic E4 Thread-dscn0036comp.jpg   Team Magic E4 Thread-dscn0034comp.jpg   Team Magic E4 Thread-dscn0032comp.jpg  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog
I am working on making some steel and brass trays.
I will keep everyone posted as things progress. Here's a pic of the tray I have for my car and some pics I said I would post of my hubs. (no bearing slop at all)
Brass et!? hmmm i might want 1.
How much do your trsys weigh?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Brass et!? hmmm i might want 1.
How much do your trsys weigh?
I'll post specs and options once I begin the production run.

I will start by posting 3D CAD images as I finish them.
Please not that although the brass trays will be sweet, they will cost more than the steel ones due to raw material costs.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Thats ok.. brass is heavier than steel . I need almost 5.5 oz.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Ok here are the preliminary 3D images.

I will be making a spacer plate to add more weight for those using lighter Lipo packs with the bumps on the bottom. I will sell them as a set or seperate, just in case someone uses only larger packs without the bumps.
The tray will have cutouts for the bumps in order to get the pack as low in the chassis as possible.
Notice the recesses for strapping tape!
Attached Thumbnails Team Magic E4 Thread-e4-battery-tray-attached.jpg   Team Magic E4 Thread-assem1.jpg   Team Magic E4 Thread-e4-battery-tray-brass.jpg  
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
I have a SOLID 1 piece metal (heavy) battery tray...you know the person who originally create that. It is for foam chassis...but very good craftmanship.
Actually, it looks EXACTLY like what YoDog...may be YoDog did the prototype for "him" from last year September time...(P.S...I did not make that plate, I just owns it now)

Socko...when are you going up North and play toy cars with us? So I can have a good excuse to run foams (or may be the rubber 13.5)
Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
I have a SOLID 1 piece metal (heavy) battery tray...you know the person who originally create that. It is for foam chassis...but very good craftmanship.
Actually, it looks EXACTLY like what YoDog...may be YoDog did the prototype for "him" from last year September time...(P.S...I did not make that plate, I just owns it now)

Socko...when are you going up North and play toy cars with us? So I can have a good excuse to run foams (or may be the rubber 13.5)
I did not make the plate shown in the earlier picture but I do intend on making the one proposed in the 3D drawings.
It might have been made by the same guy that Solara mentioned. What did you guys pay for the steel ones, if I may ask? $70?
That's what I was told by the guy I bought my car from.

By the way, this plate is for the E4 rs and fs kits only.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoDog
Ok here are the preliminary 3D images.

I will be making a spacer plate to add more weight for those using lighter Lipo packs with the bumps on the bottom. I will sell them as a set or seperate, just in case someone uses only larger packs without the bumps.
The tray will have cutouts for the bumps in order to get the pack as low in the chassis as possible.
Notice the recesses for strapping tape!
Oh man.. thats sweet !
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Oh man.. thats sweet !
I just got one from Bitty Design in Italy. Its light, but that will allow the weight to be balanced out better.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow timing is everything.

We have been getting jerked around by one machine shop for the last 6 months. We should have dropped them sooner but it always seemed like if we just hung in there it would get done quicker. That was not the case. So I am happy to announce that we are now ready to ship our new steel battery tray. We have tested MANY versions and materials and have come up with this design. It is machined from solid steel (brass caused other problems so we abandoned it) and it is plated with black zinc. It is CNC machined and is optimized for a tight fit so that the battery doesn't "hammer" from side to side in the middle of turns. We also designed it to be as heavy as possible. The rationale is that if the car is heavy, material can be removed from the front, back or sides via belt sander or step drill to fine tune the balance. Since this is such an important part of a great handling E4 we have priced it with little regard to profit. Street price will be $49.95. This is less than some machine shops quoted just for the labor. We made 200 for the first production run so there should be plenty avaialble. They will be on our web site later tonight.

We are also working on some other REALLY cool parts for the car to make the car even more competitive. More information will be released soon. I will tell you that a lot of titanium and 7075 aluminum is involved. The prototype parts are on my car now and all of our team cars will be runnning them at snowbird. Feel free to email us with any questions. They will ship Friday or Monday at the latest.
Attached Thumbnails Team Magic E4 Thread-battery-tray.jpg  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wolf Hobbies
Wow timing is everything.

We have been getting jerked around by one machine shop for the last 6 months. We should have dropped them sooner but it always seemed like if we just hung in there it would get done quicker. That was not the case. So I am happy to announce that we are now ready to ship our new steel battery tray. We have tested MANY versions and materials and have come up with this design. It is machined from solid steel (brass caused other problems so we abandoned it) and it is plated with black zinc. It is CNC machined and is optimized for a tight fit so that the battery doesn't "hammer" from side to side in the middle of turns. We also designed it to be as heavy as possible. The rationale is that if the car is heavy, material can be removed from the front, back or sides via belt sander or step drill to fine tune the balance. Since this is such an important part of a great handling E4 we have priced it with little regard to profit. Street price will be $49.95. This is less than some machine shops quoted just for the labor. We made 200 for the first production run so there should be plenty avaialble. They will be on our web site later tonight.

We are also working on some other REALLY cool parts for the car to make the car even more competitive. More information will be released soon. I will tell you that a lot of titanium and 7075 aluminum is involved. The prototype parts are on my car now and all of our team cars will be runnning them at snowbird. Feel free to email us with any questions. They will ship Friday or Monday at the latest.

i have an original e4 and the chassis has dimples in the middle and its not quite the same fit as the newer e4's. i bought onefrom a guy a while back and after dremmeling an 80 part i got it to fit, so i have 2 questions. will there be a version for people like me & price. looks very sweet by the way
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

post #1047 has a crappy pic of what im talking about, if you click it & see its the cut out for the bat in chassis, theres to little humps that protrude towards the center. and if i rember right i had to do somw trimmimg in the corners.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Geez Wolf, do you think you posted a big enough picture?

It's freeking my browser out!

Nice to see you are getting the trays done.
I think the ones I'm proposing will add a little more flavor though.

YGPM
Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

haha i was thinking the same thing when i opened it, i was the like wtf? looks cool tho i like the engraving. What are the prices gonna be on the two?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.