Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Where to drill the holes in a new body >

Where to drill the holes in a new body

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

I bought a HPI 350Z body for my FT TC4, got it all painted and such, but then realized that the poles don't line up properly with the indents in the body. I finally got it on there, but it took forever. I guess I could've avoided that problem by drilling the holes before I painted the body, but does anyone have an easier way of figuring out where to drill the holes?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Trinity NO-BRAINERS. They are well worth the money you spend. I think they cost around 10/15 dollars.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Huh? You lost me.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Go to your local hobby store. Buy a set of no-brainers. They fit on your body posts and are sharp. Put the painted body on the car and press down. It will leave 4 marks for you to drill so that you can mount your body.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

also, a cheaper alternative is to dab some paint on the top of the body posts and place the body on the car. i didnt want to spend 15 for the no brainers, so i decided to try this and it worked very well. only problem i have now is the wheel wells. i can never get them to look good.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlazinB4
also, a cheaper alternative is to dab some paint on the top of the body posts and place the body on the car. i didnt want to spend 15 for the no brainers, so i decided to try this and it worked very well. only problem i have now is the wheel wells. i can never get them to look good.
even better mark the holes before you paint( alot cheaper)
Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Laff, I ended out doing a homemade version of those No-Brainers. I drilled a very small hole thru the top of the post, clipped the end of a thumbtack off, and then pushed the resulting needle into each post to make a hole. Wasn't the most efficient, but I guess it ended out doing the same thing as the No-Brainers. Now that I know about those tho, I'll have to go buy a set. Also, yeah, I'm planning on marking the holes before I paint next time. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

I usually drill the body posts first before doing anything else. This seems to work out good for me. As far as the wheel cut-outs go, I will install the body on the car with wheels installed, then take a new wheel on the outside of the body and line it up with the installed wheel on the inside of the body. I will usually push it up a little since the car isn't on it's wheels while i'm doing this, and then take a sharpie and trace out the wheel on the outside of the body. Cut outside your line to give yourself a little extra room. This will give you perfect wheel cut-outs. Some people also suggest taking a dremel and round sand-paper attachement and sand the cut-outs smooth to prevent splitting. I don't know if that helps or not but I do it.

If you forget to drill the body post holes first, the paint on top of the posts works pretty good, i've done that before too.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

lol... sad thing is that i did do all the marking first. i also did the design in marker. and, it was on a losi body so i had to clean off all the marker.... see where im going with this? lol. ya, i didnt dril/cut before i took all the marker off and basically ended up taking all the markings off including the ones for the posts and the wheel wells.