Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya started 1/10 scale touring car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Sand Scorcher was released in the early to mid-80's, the 959 was mid or late '70s.
It was released in December of 79.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=16
Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
He he I had a porsche 959 and it did had a technigold motor. It was actually my second RC car ever ! However it was more of a rally var than touring...
I mentally blocked that car ever existed and settled for a bigwig buggy with that technigold motor. Didn't even remember the 959 when I bought the celica rally some years after. I thought I had tamiyas first sedan cars together with the skyline.
The porsche 934 is new to me I wasnt even born that time. Its over a 1000US on ebay!!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

pardon me if i missed anything that was posted earlier.

The first porsche was a 1/12 scale. if you got the latest copy of RC WORLD with you it clearly picture the 2 cars (first one and the anniversary edition) side by side.

First 1/10 sedan was a skyline, I remember that I saw an article on this in RC Car Action back in late 90s. (1996?) and I thought only TA02s came with red colored gearboxes? I could be wrong though but pretty sure tamiya's first one was skyline.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

by the way, in a glance TA01 and TA02 looks similar. what's the difference between the 2? i was too young to be bothered by this back then
Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dodo
I could be wrong though but pretty sure tamiya's first one was skyline.
I have one in my garage still in the box with the plastic still on it!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I still have my Tamiya JPS Lotus 79 and it was my first RC car. I'd like to run it on the track, but the foam tires are crumbling. The kit must be 25 years old now. Its kind of a pan car like affair similar to an RC10L
Old 12-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pretty sure that Tamiya's first TA01 released in the USA was the Skyline- box art showed a black body. The TA01 is slightly shorter than the TA02 in the rear and also used a shorter front arm set (the longer arms and knuckles that came standard on the 02 were available for the 01 as a hop up). The Yokomo sedan was released in late 1994 (I built one of the first ones in the US in the pits at the 1994 ROAR Nats in PA and did the article for it for RCCA...had a Frewer Alfa body in black with Miller decals- pretty) and the one I got had a 2 speed tranny. The first RS4 was released in late 1995 (I took the pre-intro spy pics for RCCA at the 95 NORCCA Nats in Las Vegas). Hard to believe how far Tamiya has come in world-level competition...
Old 12-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Close, but no cigar...

This is the release listing...(Thanks to Tamiya Club of course) and the Skyline comes in Second after the Celica GT4. However...it is possible that the release dates werent the same worldwide, a practice that Tamiya still do today with staggered dates.

Last edited by tony gray; 08-06-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Is this the first touring car rc kit you guys are talking about? Its being reissued again by tamiya. I'm sure a lot of ebay sellers are pissed.

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...e934/index.htm
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
Is this the first touring car rc kit you guys are talking about? Its being reissued again by tamiya. I'm sure a lot of ebay sellers are pissed.

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...e934/index.htm
the re-release may be the same scale but it's totally different chassis. anyway the thread is abt first 1/10 scale
Old 12-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dodo
the re-release may be the same scale but it's totally different chassis. anyway the thread is abt first 1/10 scale
I see. Where did this chassis GT01 evolve from? So its still the 959 which is the first 1/10 touring car. I hope they reissue that kit.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

I see. Where did this chassis GT01 evolve from? So its still the 959 which is the first 1/10 touring car. I hope they reissue that kit.
the first 959 was not 1/10 scale

if u follow the thread closely, u can conclude that the first 1/10 kit is either celica or skyline, depends on release date.

the 959 will be re-released as 30th anniversary limited edition and the tamtech.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Initiate

the porsche 959 and its sister, a toyota celica, were released circa 1986 and were 1/12 scale shaft drive 4wds based on their real world rally car conterparts. the porsche 934 was the first tamiya rc car. similar numbers but completely different cars in real life and the rc world.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tallyrc
tony, when the talk of going to 4 cells first came up i suggested that maybe reducing the traction would help alleviate the excess amperage and blowing up escs.. i suggested either harder tires as the new spec like 36r or possibly RWD.. you should have heard the pros and hot shots! they say they are too hard too drive and too hard to learn for noobs... they must all have forgotten that millions of offroad racers manage and that is on loose dirt! i'd love to race the tamiya f103gt's as a class..
pan cars with tires that don't grip are no fun to drive at all. There's no comparison to off-road as the handling characteristics are completely different. In fact I attribute a lot of the death of the pan car class due to a lack of traction. When sedans first started to get popular they were easier to drive the pan cars under less then ideal conditions. Thus the class got more and more popular and race organizers put less and less work into the track preparation that pan cars need. Thus contributing to their decline.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is a new chassis that is around 1/16 scale and is loosely based off of the Tamtech Gear buggies.

This Thread is for: Tamiya started 1/10th scale TOURING car! SO, as Doc(rccardr) said, The first 1/10 touring car was the Nissan Skyline TA-01 R-32.
The celica is a rally car. All the rest are not what we know as a touring car. 4 wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel drive.