Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE! Is Mugen Racing #1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default BEWARE! Is Mugen Racing #1?

Since I started racing R/C cars, all I ever heard around the track was that Mugen cars and parts were the best. And I have been with them for a long time! Well, after going through my own personal little hell with Mugen Racing in California, I felt the least I could do was to forwarn other R/C racers. Granted, most of Mugen's cars and parts are probably exceptional in their design and quality. However, after purchasing a brand new turbo .12 engine from Mugen, upon further inspection, I noticed it contained several factory defects. I returned the engine and was told it wuld be replaced. Little did I know that it would be replaced with a stock (non turbo) engine containing a turbo plug. Trying to pass off a "cut and paste" engine as a new one just floored me. And wanting to replace new parts with used ones! I couldn't believe Mugen tried to do something that deceitful. When I confronted the salesman, and then his manager Chris, they treated me like a leper. I was outright lied to, and then dismissed as though I was overreracting because my engine was "just as good as a new one". They said they where going to send me a turbo crank but well see.And Chris told me (quote some of the turbo engines we sell aren't really turbo engines and some are!) Is it me or is there something wrong with that statment?
All I'm saying is, not only know what you are buying, but KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING! Companies that start to cut corners and hoodwink their customers don't last long. Mugen racing has lost me as a customer forever. How long will they keep you?
Danny E.
P.S. I am really being nice here, but if you would like all the details of what transpired, please feel free to email me. I still can't believe what happend!
Old 08-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

What were the "several" factory defects?
Old 08-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default defect!

I put the engine on my test bench to break it in and running extreemley rich it got way hot in a very short time which as you know is the worst thing you can do to a new engine! So I disassembled it. I had a heck of a time removing the sleeve and the button was frozen! There was a large goudge that was on the block side of the sleeve and it did leave a ridge in the block! surly bleeding air (making it lean and or making the sleeve outa round) both of which causing a heat problem! I was upset because the person who installed the sleeve at the factory had to know about this do to the fact that considerrble force had to used to push the sleeve in the block! And in all fairness this is the 4th mugan engine I have had and the other 3 where great little engines. but this was the first time I had to deal with muganracing and there will never be a second. Sorry to be so blunt but it upsets me thinking about what happend!
Old 08-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry to hear about your problem Hellion. I was about to buy another on road car and it going to be a Mugen, maybe I take another look. Hey I noticed that your also from Colorado? Where you at in Co? Hope you can get your problem solved soon! Take it easy man!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

I used/modified many MR12 engines and is a really good engine, but like all engines, needs to be inspected for metal particles before starting it. Many times we rely on the QC of the manufacturer (I don't rely on them, so I disassemble, inspect, clean and assemble before fuel comes into the carb).

Never trust on the QC of any engine manufacturer and do a check before starting, if not, you can do a hell mess like the one happened to you.

BTW: Seems to me that you problem is with the local dealer, not with Mugen Racing, have you tried to talk with Mugen USA? Robbie C is here sometimes and surely he can help you.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Update on bad Mugan engine

Corse r: Mugan racing is Mugan USA And that is who I delt with and as far as Robby C goes: He is the one that I was referred too because Chris was out of town! He first blamed UPS for losing the tag then he acused me of scratching it myself and when I asked him to get the sleeve so he could see that I didn't do it he told me that he lost it ! And he also told me that he was going to put a used sleeve in it and send it back and said take it or leave it!!!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Update on bad Mugan engine

Originally posted by HELLION
Corse r: Mugan racing is Mugan USA And that is who I delt with and as far as Robby C goes: He is the one that I was referred too because Chris was out of town! He first blamed UPS for losing the tag then he acused me of scratching it myself and when I asked him to get the sleeve so he could see that I didn't do it he told me that he lost it ! And he also told me that he was going to put a used sleeve in it and send it back and said take it or leave it!!!!!
hmmm...
Old 08-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

wow
we spend alot of money in this hobby to be treated like you
have stated, all i know is true or not this is some seriosly
bad PR for them, i think they should rectify this before more
people hear of it
Old 08-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

aww man mugen are the best it just happend that you had back luck. it was prob 1 in 1 million
Old 08-05-2003, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

sounds more like your local dealer, you should try email mugen racing and explain to them your situation and tell them about the poor service you recieved from that particular dealer.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default I HAVE TRIED MANY TIMES

If anyone from the USA trys to reach Mugan Seiki Japan they just forward all e_mails to muganracing USA And By the way I recived the new turbo crank shaft they promiesd me! And at this point I'm just laughing about the whole thing! You all should see this thing !!! It looks worse then one of my old crank shafts in a engine that blew up!! ( flywheel bolt loosend ) I just don't think they know what the definition of NEW is and if they are going to try to pass used parts as new they should at the very least clean them first !I was able to take pictures with a magnifying glass and they came out better then expected and I will be downloading them this week and share so you can all see why I'm laughing And I still feel Mugan is a great car It's just that when you spend that kind of money it's nice to know that if something like this happens it will be taken care of! And I build most of my own parts so I plan to keep the MTX 2 going but you can bet the house its next engine will not be a mugan and I for one will never deal with Mugan racing again!I hope it doesen't sound like I'm complaining to much I just think people should be warned about Mugan racing USA
Old 08-05-2003, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

poor lil feela
i cant believe they dont answer ur emails properly
thats pathetic
Old 08-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: I HAVE TRIED MANY TIMES

Originally posted by HELLION
If anyone from the USA trys to reach Mugan Seiki Japan they just forward all e_mails to muganracing USA And By the way I recived the new turbo crank shaft they promiesd me! And at this point I'm just laughing about the whole thing! You all should see this thing !!! It looks worse then one of my old crank shafts in a engine that blew up!! ( flywheel bolt loosend ) I just don't think they know what the definition of NEW is and if they are going to try to pass used parts as new they should at the very least clean them first !I was able to take pictures with a magnifying glass and they came out better then expected and I will be downloading them this week and share so you can all see why I'm laughing And I still feel Mugan is a great car It's just that when you spend that kind of money it's nice to know that if something like this happens it will be taken care of! And I build most of my own parts so I plan to keep the MTX 2 going but you can bet the house its next engine will not be a mugan and I for one will never deal with Mugan racing again!I hope it doesen't sound like I'm complaining to much I just think people should be warned about Mugan racing USA
Hi Hellion,

reading this thread for quite sometimes, what exactly is "Mugen engine" you referring to? Which model in particular.

thanks,
Old 08-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Oops I guess that would help

The engine I purchesd was a MT12SG-S turbo! Instead of replacing this one they sent me a stock MT.12 with a turbo glow plug! And you are not going to believe this but when I complained they told me that some of the turbo 12s they sell only have a turbo head button (like the one they sent me) and some are real turbo engines IE turbo crank ect. like the one I sent them to replace!
Old 08-05-2003, 06:54 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

wow

u must be peed off

i feel bad for you brotha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.