Wiki Posts
Search

Bearing maintnance

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Bearing maintnance

What kind of bearing maintnance do you do on your chassis bearings? Like your diff bearings? and wheel hub bearings?

Today when going thru my RC8B I used some Royal Purple full synthetic bearing oil on my bearings, I just put some in a small cup and let the bearings soak for about 10-15 min, but before I soaked them I blew them out with a little air pressure to get any debris and dirt out. And of course if I feal a bad bearing I will replace it. I also done this on my steering post bearings. All the bearings feel really good after the soak, these are all stock AE bearings.
What yall think??
Thanks Lance
Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bearing's are cheap enough to the point where if they feel remotely Gritty you toss em and go New....the cleaning process in itself take's time that A lot of guys could care less to worry about.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Integra
Bearing's are cheap enough to the point where if they feel remotely Gritty you toss em and go New....the cleaning process in itself take's time that A lot of guys could care less to worry about.
I totally agree, I replace any gritty feeling bearings at all, but I do not spend alot of time on cleaning bearings just a quick blow off and a wipe down and thrown into the syn oil cup for a quick soak while I clean the other parts up or changing diff fluid. I have seen the video's from Royal Purple on there bearing fluids and they can reduce wear and friction in half from any other lubricant. Plus i got this stuff for free...
Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default reply

When i pull my cars down, I remove all the Boca Ceramic Bearings, then late at night once every one is asleep, i put a dvd on and remove the seals from the bearings and clean them with a bearing blaster, then i replace one seal on one side only and re lube with a mixture of boca lighting lube & boca bearing grease before installing the second seal and your all ready to go..

I have it down to a dvd time frame for the complete car and redo this every 4 litres of fuel i run through the three cars, i have been using the same bearings all year in the buggy, truggy & monster truck and they get raced 3 week ends a MONTH, i have yet to have one bearing fail and have not replaced one bearing yet this year including the clutch bell bearings, i bought spares and have had no need for them yet.....fingers crossed

Last edited by savagesam; 09-06-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savagesam
When i pull my cars down, I remove all the Boca Ceramic Bearings, then late at night once every one is asleep, i put a dvd on and remove the seals from the bearings and clean them with a bearing blaster, then i replace one seal on one side only and re lube with a mixture of boca lighting lube & boca bearing grease before installing the second seal and your all ready to go..

I have it down to a dvd time frame for the complete car and redo this every 4 litres of fuel i run through the three cars, i have been using the same bearings all year in the buggy, truggy & monster truck and they get raced 3 week ends a year, i have yet to have one bearing fail and have not replaced one bearing yet this year including the clutch bell bearings, i bought spares and have had no need for them yet.....fingers crossed
Wow! Sounds like a crap load of work and time. You are dedicated. I run stock bearings and when they feel a little gritty I just replace them. Maintenance is a wipe down and maybe some oil. I get quite a bit of life out of them this way. No water and no compressed air, only a paper towel.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Lord

I have it down to a dvd time frame for the complete car and redo this every 4 litres of fuel i run through the three cars, i have been using the same bearings all year in the buggy, truggy & monster truck and they get raced 3 week ends a year, i have yet to have one bearing fail and have not replaced one bearing yet this year including the clutch bell bearings, i bought spares and have had no need for them yet.....fingers crossed

3 weekends a year ? ?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im with nick, they are too cheap to do maintenance on bearings, BUT on my steering post bearing i simply spray them out with contact cleaner and then spray them with some 30 30. i like those to be clean and smooth.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+1 Takes a good 5 hours to take your car apart, flush out all the bearings, re-lube and assemble. What a PITA!!! Give me $1 disposables all day long
Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

3 weekends a year ? ?
3 week ends a month, but you already new that lmao
Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Default reply

Im with each of you in regards to the $1 disposable bearings, nice and easy and once i find one that performs like a good quality ceramic bearing i with you guys on the disposable bearings.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Im with each of you in regards to the $1 disposable bearings, nice and easy and once i find one that performs like a good quality ceramic bearing i with you guys on the disposable bearings.
Nothing will perform like a quality ceramic, but with 3 HP and new bearings Its all good to me If you dont mind all the work that goes with bearing maintenence than have it bro! I can send you mine if you like also. Hell save me $24 every 3 weeks
Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I don't know about you guys and no one has ever told me any different but I go thru my buggy and truggy after every 2-3 club races which is maybe once a month then I will do a full tear down and clean of both before any RC Pro Divisional Race. So with as much tear downs I do, I do not replace bearings everytime it just not make sense. So if I can clean them and soak them they will last longer and run smother.
Thanks for your input tho....
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

run Avid revolutions and toss em when theyre getting rough. A new bearing is better than any old bearing including ceramic

Once the bearing is rough the balls have imperfections..... it will continually eat itself up no matter what super oil you use.

ceramics are for bench racing...... no advantage in the drivetrain
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TXRC8racer
Well I don't know about you guys and no one has ever told me any different but I go thru my buggy and truggy after every 2-3 club races which is maybe once a month then I will do a full tear down and clean of both before any RC Pro Divisional Race. So with as much tear downs I do, I do not replace bearings everytime it just not make sense. So if I can clean them and soak them they will last longer and run smother.
Thanks for your input tho....
were not saying replace the bearings at every tear down. i sure dont.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

I run AVID bearings in my truck and besides the outside hub bearing, they are still good... Bearings are a buck, dont want time and money soaking them and cleaning them etc....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.