Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Spool vs Ball Diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The reason for running a front gear diff with 2.5million cst (I don't like putty because its inconsistent) is for increased entry steering and a generally smoother feel overall. I started my car with a spool and ran it that way for nearly a year before trying a gear diff up front with thick oil. With the spool, the car was under steering into a corner. With the gear diff, entry steering increased greatly and the car was more predictable overall.

It's more of a tuning thing i suppose. I know that I probably won't run a spool up front with my 17.5 ever again though. Conversely, I have a spool in both my VTA and mod car because I like how they're set up already.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirtybirk
Thanks for all of the feedback. A lot of good information. It seems as though not much has changed over the years accept going back in time to gear diffs. I will try one with front oneway and one standard ball diffs and adjust from there.

James
One ways are also pretty obsolete.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
.... Don't quite understand the rational behind running putty/jb weld/ anything else that makes a gear diff essentially a spool....
Me either, just makes the gear diff much heavier.

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Don't know about HPI, but Xray's gear diff is 10g lighter than their ball diff!

Also, if rotating mass is everything, surely you're better off using a spool as they weigh even less again.
Thanks because I was about to weigh both my gear diff and ball diff.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One more point. A spool is harder on the drive line, and you will need to replace parts more often (Thinking of those small clips on the drive shafts). Esp if you hit a board, you will probably break and outdrive.

With running a diff (of any type), you are less likely to break a component if you tap a board, and the wear and tear on the drive line tends to be less.

I run a spool outdoors for the extra power coming out of the corner, but on carpet I quickly switched back to a diff (ball) for the extra steering. I have not had the opportunity to run a gear diff in electric, but do play with them in nitro (120K front, 30K rear). Works really well.

Shawn.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyujmn
The reason for running a front gear diff with 2.5million cst (I don't like putty because its inconsistent) is for increased entry steering and a generally smoother feel overall. I started my car with a spool and ran it that way for nearly a year before trying a gear diff up front with thick oil. With the spool, the car was under steering into a corner. With the gear diff, entry steering increased greatly and the car was more predictable overall.

It's more of a tuning thing i suppose. I know that I probably won't run a spool up front with my 17.5 ever again though. Conversely, I have a spool in both my VTA and mod car because I like how they're set up already.
Where can I find 1.5 or 2.5 million cst. I have 500K but haven't found anything thicker.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nsgland
Where can I find 1.5 or 2.5 million cst. I have 500K but haven't found anything thicker.
Gravity RC .. also available at online at many shops

http://www.teamgravityrc.com/dealers.html
Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Gravity RC
http://www.teamgravityrc.com/products.html

beat me to it...........bytestream, haha!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

That stuff is super thick. It doesn't flow so you basically have to just scoop it into the diff. They provide a little syringe to try and load it in but it doesn't work. I decided to just use an old spec r gear diff I had instead of using a $60 one from xray. Does the same thing (weighs more but my car is under weight anyway) and was a lot more cost effective.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mkiiina
..Don't quite understand the rational behind running putty/jb weld/ anything else that makes a gear diff essentially a spool....
I have a gear diff with 2.5million in it, I only use it when running Mod and it does still have some diff action.

You can turn the wheel by hand and make the opposite wheel rotate in the opposite direction. It's stiff (obviously ) but does help.

Tried it in stock and all it did was reduce drive out of corners so I took it out.
In Mod you have to be so much more progressive with the power anyway that this doesn't show up as much (also adds stability in Mod over a spool)

Skiddins
Old 08-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

I have a gear diff with 2.5million in it, I only use it when running Mod and it does still have some diff action.

You can turn the wheel by hand and make the opposite wheel rotate in the opposite direction. It's stiff (obviously ) but does help.

Tried it in stock and all it did was reduce drive out of corners so I took it out.
In Mod you have to be so much more progressive with the power anyway that this doesn't show up as much (also adds stability in Mod over a spool)

Skiddins
That info helps a lot. I used a gear diff up front with 50, 000 diff oil and point both outdrives in the same direction. It felt the same as the spool. After the run I notice no change of direction on the outdrives with 17.5. Will have to test it in Mod. It's been so long since I touched Mod. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Skiddins
Yea you had the same experience I did with a gear diff. Reduced drive outta corner but increased entry. I always felt like my car oversteered a bit outta corner and understeered into it so the gear diff seemed like the perfect fix and it was exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hyujmn
Yea you had the same experience I did with a gear diff. Reduced drive outta corner but increased entry. I always felt like my car oversteered a bit outta corner and understeered into it so the gear diff seemed like the perfect fix and it was exactly what I was hoping for.
Good, someone we lse who can substantiate the test. Nice!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
Good, someone we lse who can substantiate the test. Nice!
I found the same thing, too.

Interestingly, I found that DCJ's with a spool had a similar feel to 500k gear diff without DCJs, in terms of turning into the corner better and being smoother through the middle. But it of course kept the corner exit pull that the gear diff was lacking.

-Mike
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm that's something I didn't notice. I always run xray ECS driveshafts up front
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Question, are DCJs from what manufacture the same as Xray's ECSs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.