Wiki Posts
Search

Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Car Wash

How are you guys keeping the tray portion of your cars clean?

Can I use something like simple green followed by a water hose followed by compressed air to blast all the residual water, dirt and other crap away?

I just used a whole can of parts cleaner which worked great but am thinking there has to be a cheaper maybe even easier way to keep it looking pretty after each race.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can use simple green, but also make sure you watch your bearings. If you get detergent & water in the bearing, it may wash out the oil or lube. More so on metal shielded bearings than rubber. You'll have to clean & oil them if this happens or they'll seize up, so keep that in mind.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Best way hands down:

Mix 50% simple green and 50% denatured alconol. Then add in a few capfulls of wd40 to the mix. Spray it on generously and hit what you can with a toothbrush or whatever. Then blast it with the an air compressor. Painless and works great! I also like to hit it with straight wd40 after that and blow it off again. This really leaves it looking good. Been doing this for years with no issues. I do take off the radio tray though just in case.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Best way hands down:

Mix 50% simple green and 50% denatured alconol. Then add in a few capfulls of wd40 to the mix. Spray it on generously and hit what you can with a toothbrush or whatever. Then blast it with the an air compressor. Painless and works great! I also like to hit it with straight wd40 after that and blow it off again. This really leaves it looking good. Been doing this for years with no issues. I do take off the radio tray though just in case.
Slay is it true that WD40 weakens the composite or plastic parts??
Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

No I use it on all my plastics to keep them looking new never had any problems breaking.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips so far, the 50 50 alcohol and simple green sounds like a neat inexpensive solution.

Another WD40 concern... Doesn't it attract dirt and debris?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

It will actually make it easier to clean later. The dirt will not stick to your ride and make it easier to blow it out of the small cracks. I literally coat it then blow it off. Once you try it you will never clean your car another way.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I use Meguire's Vinyl Shine (I've only found at Autozone) and this product is AMAZING at making plastic, vinyl etc look BRAND NEW without the greasy Armor All side effects. I do some auto detailing on the side and it's all I use on (real) cars.

I tried it on my 8ight and everything looks brand new as I expected after few runs in the dirt. I cannot testify as to how badly it will attract dust and dirt though. I used to spray down my old electric cars with WD-40 and I felt they always had that greasy feeling to them.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

simple green for after race cleanings when i pull the tray, motor and tank off the chassis.

Now, when at the race, i use Odonnels car wash spray. Spray it on a rag and toothbrush and clean all of the moving parts. Shocks, driveshafts, arms.