Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Calling on the Brotherhood of the R/C Nation. >

Calling on the Brotherhood of the R/C Nation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling on the Brotherhood of the R/C Nation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Calling on the Brotherhood of the R/C Nation.

I'm not sure if any of you know about the events at the Psycho Nitro Blast III this past weekend in Atlanta, GA. But would like to share with you that one of brothers has fallen. The family he has left behind is need of our support and help.

Leighton was a very close friend, and was one of the valuable team that put on the Bass Pro Series in Jackson, MS.

Below is some insight to who he was and what he stood for. I hope this helps paint a picture for you. At the end post is how you can help, but if you can not, and want to send a note to Shellie (his wife) I can personally guarantee that it will mean a lot to her, Jessica(Daughter) and Chris (Son)

PLEASE LET THE FAMILY KNOW WHILE HE IS GONE, HE WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

So let me give you a idea of this man.
Originally Posted by bvoltz
As I set here with a heavy heart, remember all the wonderful times we had, my breath is taken away by this news. Leighton, aka Big L, stood a mire 6+ feet, and tip the scale around 280 lbs, nearly not enough to house this man’s massive heart. If you have the honor of meeting him, you never forget him. This gentle giant could bring a smile to your face, give you a shoulder to cry on, or simply lend an ear when you needed to vent. One could say during your time in this earth, wealth is defined by money, I think not. It is defined by the people you touch, or the life time impression you leave. Some believe that you only have so many heart beats to the end. I would like to think that is about the people you have touched deeply, well my friend you are a very wealthy person.

What you may not know, is in the RC world his dream was to one day stand beside some of the best drivers in the world, yesterday around 12:04 am he did just that. People that are close to him, knew of his love for Nitro Offroad R/C racing, it was not only the race, but the people got to hang out with. You see, he would not race in order to run a race for you. He would not race, if you need a part and it was his last one. It was about all what the racing community stood for, FRIENDSHIP.

Thank you for allowing me to share a little sight of this gentle giant.
Originally Posted by bentgear
I posted this over in the racing section but will copy here for those who may not have seen it:

Dave and Ollie,
Great race as always, you guys just keep making them better, at least till the 22nd qualifier. I think God must have needed a good man to fill a bump up slot at a big race in Heaven.

The ME said it was a massive heart attack so most likely Leighton had passed by the time he went down. The family and I want to thank everyone that did their best to insure he made it till the ambulance got there. Your efforts were not in vain. That level of care for your fellow man saves many lives each year.........just this time it not meant to be.

I wish I knew all the names to thank for the help in packing up, getting the trailers out thru the parked cars, etc. Thank you each and everyone.

When I called Leighton's wife to let her know he was headed to the emergency room she loaded up the kids and headed for Atlanta. Chris, the son wanted to see the track and afterwords commented that he understood why his father wanted to come every year. Chris has never made it because of school. He did get to meet a couple racers he had only read about in magazines. Adam Drake and Mike Truhe. These guys took a lot of time from their race prep and spent it with Chris. Adam, thank you for the body for Chris. Mike, the words of life experience you spoke to Chris will make a very positive impact once the initial pain of this experience subsides. Alan Burton, I am not leaving you out of this either, the hug you gave Chris when he entered the tent was a great way to break the ice not to mention the time you spent with him. (Alan and Chris have raced together in the past) It is easy to see why these guys are so well thought of.

The Jackson, MS crew will be back next year for an even bigger race.

Thanks to everyone again.
Ed Matlage
Originally Posted by Leikam

Leighton W. Dillard
Born 5/27/68 died 3/6/10

Leighton was married to Shellie and had two children. Jessica 18 and Chris 14

If anyone would care to make a donation, please make check payable to the Leighton Dillard Memorial Fund and mail to 107 Lewis Street, Richland, MS 39218
More information about events are at: http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...koning-18.html

Originally Posted by toolmbx6
Hey guys, finally got the Dillard family Paypal account so you can make contributions directly to them.. Here is their Paypal email address: [email protected] Please be generous. They are having a very hard time right now.

- Ollie
Thank you for your time and support.

Barry Voltz
Old 03-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for posting this Barry!

Leighton was a great guy. You couldn't ask for someone more fun, more generous and more caring to race with. Even though I was able to attend the funeral, it still seems so hard to believe he's gone.
The funeral service was packed, and after following the procession to the little Baptist church waaaay back in the sticks, I understood where he got his good 'ol country boy nature from. The rain was relentless on the drive to Jackson and it rained almost the whole time I was there, but right before we arrived at the little church miles off the main roads, it stopped raining and the sun peeked out for a short time. As the crowd walked up the hill toward the church, we talked and hugged and tried to say a word to all the family and close friends. About the time we finished, it began to sprinkle rain again. It rained the rest of the day and night in Jackson... I knew the Lord was smiling down on us during the graveside service, and I could almost hear Big L saying "heh heh heh, I beat yawl again!! I got here first!"

One note I feel should be mentioned somewhere, so why not here-
Leighton looooved him some Xray cars!
I'll never forget the day Toastie brought tears to Big L's eyes. I'm 6'3" and Leighton looked like a "haus" even to me. To see a guy that size trying to hold back tears is something to remember. That day, that race, all those great times racing in Jackson, going out to eat, talking smack- those are lifelong memories I will cherish forever. I'm thankful for the opportunity to have met Leighton and called him my friend.

I'm also thankful for all my other racing friends. You know who you are. I can only hope to be half as good a person on the inside, and half as good a friend as Leighton was...

Barry, Kathy and I will make a donation ASAP. I believe a person should give anonymously to be a true gift from the heart, but I mentioned that here because I hope that others will be compelled to give as well.

Godspeed Big L
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Many thanks....

I know this place the family in a bad way... I know how close the R/C family is..
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Fellow RC racers. I had this idea and this is the perfect time for it.

Everybody has old stuff lying around that they don't use anymore but may be worth something. We hold on to it because its worth a few bucks, but we don't auction it off on ebay because we might need it someday (but not really) or we think its not worth going through the auction process and shipping something for just a few bucks.

Well now is the time. We have the paypal information we need to attach to our auctions. So get out those halfway used tires, bodies, extra tools, parts from old cars, or anything you can find that you can part with. Put up ebay auctions for your stuff. Start the auctions at 0.99 so they will at least get something. And put the Dillard's paypal account in as the only payment option.

You will be getting rid of clutter in your pit space, or workshop, and generating funds for a family in need. Spread the auctions out so the money keeps on coming. Spread the word about the auctions and put "For the Dillards" in your auction title or description so people can search only auctions that are for this cause.

I will be going through my stuff this rainy weekend and getting all I can spare. I will be putting up auctions as soon as I get my stuff gathered and pictures taken.

If you like this idea and can put it up on another forum please do so. Spread the word. This is a real life Pay it Forward. Lets get it going big time..
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Bump it, lets keep this on top guys..
Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Didn't know the guy, but my prayers go out to his family. Do they know the cause of death?
Old 03-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by revo61
Didn't know the guy, but my prayers go out to his family. Do they know the cause of death?
They feel it was a heart attack.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by revo61
Didn't know the guy, but my prayers go out to his family.
+1. He sounded like a well respected racer who would help anyone out, exactly what is always good to have in r/c.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the posting Barry. Bates came over to race in Dallas this past weekend and told me about Leighton. I am still in shock. He was one of the reasons I liked coming to Jackson from Dallas to race in the Bass Pro series. I remember him as a big-hearted guy that told you just like it was and did not mince words doing it. He was definitely someone that I would call a friend. This is a great loss to his family and to the r/c community in Mississippi. If Chris continues to race, we need to look out for him and pick up the slack. I know that this is very devastating to him because he looked up to and loved his dad dearly. This is definitely a sad day for all of us that know Leighton and his family. His family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This needs to stay at the top.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I never got to meet Leighton but I know he was a great person because he was loved by so many. I just wanted to knock this thread back up to the top and encourage people to continue donating if you're able to. Alot of us know what it's like to lose a family member and we know how hard it is. It's not something that gets easier, at least not in my case, I miss my father every day and it's been 5 years now. God bless everyone for their outpouring of love.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The messages on this thread choke me up every time I read them.

- Ollie
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

sunnynice, You would know if you had been there or if you knew Leighton or just think about so many people, many if whom don't even know each other reached out to someone in their time of need.

I know what you mean Ollie, they do me the same way.

See you at the PNB.

Ed M.